P4 Oscillations In Flight - Cannot Find Cause

After having issues with the vision sensors not being able to calibrate on the DJI Assistant, I performed the following
1. downgrade firmware
2. Reset factory defaults
3. Reboot drone
4. re-apply downgraded firmware
5. reset factory defaults
6. Reboot drone.

I powered on and diagnostics (and vision sensors) came up ok. Flight tests tomorrow.

I am just downgrading again, using your precise method. The only steps I hadn't previously were 2 and 5, although I had no trouble with VPS. I did get the DJI Go App warning me that flight altitude and range were restricted. Someone else said to ignore that, it wasn't actually enforced, but I wasn't aware of that at the time.

V02.00.0106 is a dead duck for me. Everything works on it absolutely fine with the exception of forward flight, well documented by now.

Hoping to get a field flight Saturday if it doesn't rain. Fingers crossed. Will report back here.

I am just downgrading again, using your precise method. The only steps I hadn't previously were 2 and 5, although I had no trouble with VPS. I did get the DJI Go App warning me that flight altitude and range were restricted. Someone else said to ignore that, it wasn't actually enforced, but I wasn't aware of that at the time.

V02.00.0106 is a dead duck for me. Everything works on it absolutely fine with the exception of forward flight, well documented by now.

Hoping to get a field flight Saturday if it doesn't rain. Fingers crossed. Will report back here.

Good luck!

Except the new flight modes like tripod.

Good luck!

Arrrgh! Well that turned into an unmitigated disaster!

The first downgrade ran through to 100%. So far, so good. Slow to power off, as before, so on to the next step, repeat the downgrade. That ran through okay also. But ... the Slow power off persisted. Not good DJI. Not good at all.

I took it out for a garden hover and fly about. Lift off was like it was on a bungee cord. It bounced up and down hunting for a level. Then I noticed that VPS wasn't working at all .... even though it was turned on in DJI Go 4 app.

I brought it back to the bench for another reflash of the downgrade firmware and ... this time it stuck at 80% and threw up an error in the DJI Assistant app. And thats how the rest of the attempt went.

In the end I had to use Dumldore to restore the v02.00.106 that was previously on there. I tried a garden fly again, knowing this won't reveal the fault until I get out on the field and get some faster speeds up. The Wind Tunnel effect in the garden was there as usual, hover was okay, compensating for the breeze as I'd expect.

If it doesn't rain I'll be at the field tomorrow. I'm taking the laptop with me to try the down-version again out in the field. See how that goes.

Arrrgh! Well that turned into an unmitigated disaster!

The first downgrade ran through to 100%. So far, so good. Slow to power off, as before, so on to the next step, repeat the downgrade. That ran through okay also. But ... the Slow power off persisted. Not good DJI. Not good at all.

I took it out for a garden hover and fly about. Lift off was like it was on a bungee cord. It bounced up and down hunting for a level. Then I noticed that VPS wasn't working at all .... even though it was turned on in DJI Go 4 app.

I brought it back to the bench for another reflash of the downgrade firmware and ... this time it stuck at 80% and threw up an error in the DJI Assistant app. And thats how the rest of the attempt went.

In the end I had to use Dumldore to restore the v02.00.106 that was previously on there. I tried a garden fly again, knowing this won't reveal the fault until I get out on the field and get some faster speeds up. The Wind Tunnel effect in the garden was there as usual, hover was okay, compensating for the breeze as I'd expect.

If it doesn't rain I'll be at the field tomorrow. I'm taking the laptop with me to try the down-version again out in the field. See how that goes.

Had the yo-yo problem myself a couple of tries ago. Doing the factory reset immediately after downgrading (via Dumldore) seemed to fix.

Also I had to downgrade/reset twice.

Had the yo-yo problem myself a couple of tries ago. Doing the factory reset immediately after downgrading (via Dumldore) seemed to fix.

Also I had to downgrade/reset twice.

I did the Factory Reset (using Assistant) at steps 2 and 5 as per the above. Downgrade Reset was run twice, it was on the third attempt that I thought I'd bricked my Phantom 4, where it would abort the update at 80%. That was one scary, pants filling, moment I can tell you :D

After hours searching discussions and finally trying downgrade as prescribed I unfortunately confused the correct "bin" file for the p4p+ with another of the same name in the wrong folder .... oooops.... result was ... in a word ... NOT!... hours more redoing redo's... frantically back tracking... I gave up and shipped it to DJI for a fix. [emoji37]

I sure wish DJI would allow proper rollbacks like any reasonable software company.... this dickin around with complex systems that have no documentation and no replaceable parts is ridiculous!

Wish there was a viable choice

My P4 has been a superb performer since the day I bought it. It is very well taken care of, not crashed or abused. It has flown like its on rails, steady and reliably throughout, until recently.

Yet of late I've noticed that it oscillates in flight and have not been able to trace what is going wrong with it. The attached video hopefully illustrates what I am experiencing.

Ordinarly, with any other FC I'd be looking at the PID and winding back the P a little. In the DJI Go 4 app I have been experimenting with the Gains to try and reduce or better still completely eliminate the oscillations. But to no effect. They continue, although the P4 then becomes very sluggish to control inputs, even in GPS mode.....

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions where I should be looking for the fault? I'm not usually stuck but this one is baffling me, which means its likely to be something bleeding obvious that I'm missing :)

Update 0: I'm now wondering if this is indeed a V02.00.0106 update issue. Hard to prove unless I can try a controlled test of downgrading to the previous V01.02.0602 version and back a few times.

Update 1: After a lot of research here and on the DJI forums I have successfully updated the P4 to V01.02.0602, although a full flight test is yet to be performed, the short back garden flights reveal none of the previous twitchiness, instability and over-reacting by the aircraft.

The exact procedure I followed, to the letter, was this:
(NB: I didn't have to re-link the controller to the P4)

1) Format and remove the SD card from the bird
2) Upgrade to the latest DJI Go app, if you haven't already
3) Upgrade the controller (with the bird off) to the latest version
4) Power off the controller when done and start up DJI Assistant 2 on your PC of choice
5) Connect the PC to the bird and power on the bird
6) Upgrade the bird and power off when finished.
7) If you have more batteries, insert them into the bird, power it back up and perform the much shorter upgrade again.
8) Repeat step 7 for as many batteries as you have
9) You may need to relink your controller to the bird ( I had to )
10) Record videos at less than 40K30 resolution to avoid the new camera rebooting issue.

Update 2: Hold that thought. After all of that, when I took it out to the field for a "proper" flight the fault manifested again. The above is not a 100% success rate it seems ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It's the firmware mine is exactly the same, wind it back to the old version and you'll be flying be again

Reactions: Mavericksan
It's the firmware mine is exactly the same, wind it back to the old version and you'll be flying be again
The wobbling is over! It's flying pretty smooth again. Have the V01.02.0503 now on.

At startup I get a lot of warnings, firmware, gimbal, stick calibration issue,.....

Maybe the DJI-GO 4.1.8 knows what shall be on?

VPS doesn't work at all. Advanced flight modes, like active track do not work (maybe because of VPS?).

But overall I am pretty happy now.

Be careful on landings when VPS not working, you may it a yo-yo effect that makes it hard to actually put the P4 on the ground.

If you perform the downgrade again, it should clear up your VPS issue. (I don't know why, but it worked for me.)

Reactions: Hands0n
Be careful on landings when VPS not working, you may it a yo-yo effect that makes it hard to actually put the P4 on the ground.

If you perform the downgrade again, it should clear up your VPS issue. (I don't know why, but it worked for me.)

I did the first downgrade fine a last week, I had to run it twice through Dumldore. Then I went back to V01.00.0106 which I flew this past Saturday, and the wobble was still there.

I tried the downgrade again and applied it twice, using the Factory Reset steps that I didn't bother with the first time round. This time it bounced like it was on a bouncy castle, no VPS. So I put it back to V01.00.0106. At one point I thought that I had bricked it ... fortunately that was not the case.

Anyway I need to repeat the downgrade. I want to put V01.00.0602 on it since it has the altitude drop after braking fixed (I was told so).

The 2nd downgrade will be done only by repeating the DJI Assistant flashing and resetting to defaults again?

Anyway I need to repeat the downgrade. I want to put V01.00.0602 on it since it has the altitude drop after braking fixed (I was told so).

The 2nd downgrade will be done only by repeating the DJI Assistant flashing and resetting to defaults again?

I've been using Dumldore to do the downgrades.

Now I'm at the V01.00.0602 - VPS is switched on, but doesn't work. Nor I can switch to Sport mode. It says Atti.
I flashed twice as described above in the thread.

VPS is still not working, but can see it on the screen (the distance indicator).

It's possible that variation in components (perhaps different suppliers) has effectively resulted in more combinations of aircraft setups than DJI can test with new firmware - hence some aircraft flying fine and others dysfunctional.
I had a new motherboard installed after a crash by DJI in July and all of my updates and firmware have gone great with the exception of some minor issues which vanished after the latest updates.

So I had a bit of a ***** and moan at @DJISupport via DM on Twitter a couple of days back. As soon as they saw my feedback and the videos that I have shared here their response was that they were on it, working on a solution. But beyond that they would not be drawn for comment.

All that they would say was "Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we've forwarded this to our engineers already. They are working on it now.". How long could it possibly take to fix this stupid issue?

I notice that DJI just released a new Mavic Pro version V01.04.000 on 19th September 2017. One can only hope that DJI truly are working on the Phantom 4 issues, as stated by @DJISupport and that we'll see some movement from them on this problem soon.

Meanwhile, my Phantom 4 is grounded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers