P4 loss one prop after 5 minute flight, dropped 40 feet to ground

This set up scares me, remind's me of the old i1 Qr props, which I had on my I1 and switched to the newer ones with the prop locks. Im wondering if DJI plans to switch to a similar set up with prop locks...
* Pre flight check-inspect those metal tabs, if they are bending down, ever so lightly bend them up with pinky finger.

I don't see it either.

My guess is he is trying to RMA it and someone probably told him to rightly remove it.
I am trying to RMA it...but why should I not discuss the issue on a forum? I don't see how that has any bearing.

Did you try to fasten/over fasten the bolts ? They looked to me that you try to mess with them with the wrong Allen size driver.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
You are looking at a device that dropped 40 feet from the air and (partially) landed on that bracket. it was filled with dirt 10 seconds before I took the photo. This device was 6 days old, and a wrench had never touched it. Mostly in that photo you are just seeing dust because I didn't wipe it off all that well. I can't tell any difference between it and the other three now.

It looks like someone has buggered with the allen bolt heads in the picture. Did you, or did you buy it used maybe?
Not used, brand new. No messing with the bolts.

I'm looking for others that have had experience with the RMA process, or had issues with these new fasteners.

I am trying to RMA it...but why should I not discuss the issue on a forum? I don't see how that has any bearing.
There was no implication in my guess. I just was taking a stab as to why you might have taken it down, which you didn't so everything including this is irrelevant.

I didn't mean it in any nefarious tricky way of something.

I agree ,it is very unlikely that :
All three screws have visible marks at certain angles
That if the prop had run away in mid fly there should be no marks on all screws
That there are no scratches or broken pieces on the plastic clips all though they are situated higher than the screws and while crashing the plastic clips should have had more visible damage than the flashed screws
Just my opinion though ..

Did you try to fasten/over fasten the bolts ? They looked to me that you try to mess with them with the wrong Allen size driver.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Fallguy
I can't tell any difference between it and the other three now

Hate to sound cynical here - but zooming in on that photo - it just looks like the bolt heads are pretty chewed up, like the wrong sized wrench was used (not saying it was you)!

You mentioned it was dirt/dust from landing and after cleaning you can't tell the difference between any of them (all look the same). Please post another pic since "cleaning" it up.

Tough luck if someone has messed with the hardware - anyone else ever handled or used your P4?

Reactions: Kiel Allen
Hate to sound cynical here - but zooming in on that photo - it just looks like the bolt heads are pretty chewed up, like the wrong sized wrench was used (not saying it was you)!

You mentioned it was dirt/dust from landing and after cleaning you can't tell the difference between any of them (all look the same). Please post another pic since "cleaning" it up.

Tough luck if someone has messed with the hardware - anyone else ever handled or used your P4?

I agree, It really looks like someone has screwed with the prop mounts. No blaming you either.

Just looked at mine and while they don't look as bad, they do have some of the same marks on the allen bolts.

My shot would be as said before, you have to turn opposite direction after installing to insure it's locked, I had a close call where the prop stayed on due to force of rotation until I let up on ascend, it popped off but fell only a about a foot in soft grass, my lucky lesson

Lots of people are very cynical and "know-it-all" here. Well, I just got a new drone (3 Standard) from DJI after it fell out of the sky after one prop flew off. So there are reasons outside the pilot's fault that DJI acknowledge.

Download the "black box" logs from the drone, see if it did something funny with the motors at that point.

Lots of people are very cynical and "know-it-all" here. Well, I just got a new drone (3 Standard) from DJI after it fell out of the sky after one prop flew off. So there are reasons outside the pilot's fault that DJI acknowledge.

Download the "black box" logs from the drone, see if it did something funny with the motors at that point.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You say you haven't powered it up since it happened. Does the motor still turn freely. If a motor stops spinning abruptly, it could loose a prop; even though unlikely, it is conceivable.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

This guys a ding dong. Flying in the city? Lots of people to do that... But rarely do you see someone put it up 1500 feet over cars and people. If it had lost a prop it could have easily killed someone. Just completely dumb.

Secondly, let me state the obvious again. That video looks to me, like a fast, full downward descend, not a "fall from the sky". I had one shut off in mid flight and it looked nothing like that.

Thirdly it's suspect that if landed perfectly in the middle of two lanes.

Fourthly, I think he did a full descend and landed hard and broke the camera off. We all have seen a prop come off, it does it and flips.

Fifthly, that poor dog. He could have hurt that dog.

This is all kinds of wrong.

DB we all fly over roads now and again. You almost have too.

The three torx screw heads, when enlarged, look like they have been abused, but my own look the same, and I've never touched them, so it looks like they come that way from the factory.:eek:

I remember a previous thread where a guy found those hex screws loose on some of his P4 motors, and numerous responders found the same. I checked mine and on one motor the white plastic piece the screws hold down would slightly move, so I tightened gently and check periodically. The screws do show signs of use, contact with ground does not cause those marks plus the height of the center shaft and plastic piece should have limited contact. But to me that's a moot point cause it could have been done by a sloppy installer or whoever, as long as it's tight and plastic piece does not move.
PS In guys defense, I just checked my motors with mag. lens and at least one screw on each motor show that same appearance of hex wrench marks, and I only had tightened them on one motor.

Last edited:
You can actually incorrectly think the props are on correctly. They don't pull off but can be half on. I always check and double check when installing them and again before setting up RC then once again before actually flying. Can't be too careful. Only reason I found this out is because I was just testing indoors and a prop did in fact spin off. I replicated it with all four of them. However it did produce an error before hand saying prop missing or loose.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

This guys a ding dong. Flying in the city? Lots of people to do that... But rarely do you see someone put it up 1500 feet over cars and people. If it had lost a prop it could have easily killed someone. Just completely dumb.

Secondly, let me state the obvious again. That video looks to me, like a fast, full downward descend, not a "fall from the sky". I had one shut off in mid flight and it looked nothing like that.

Thirdly it's suspect that if landed perfectly in the middle of two lanes.

Fourthly, I think he did a full descend and landed hard and broke the camera off. We all have seen a prop come off, it does it and flips.

Fifthly, that poor dog. He could have hurt that dog.

This is all kinds of wrong.

DB we all fly over roads now and again. You almost have too.
What the hell video did you watch. He said he was flying near an old mine.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl