P4 loss one prop after 5 minute flight, dropped 40 feet to ground

Reaction score
I bought my P4 just last week. I've maybe had 20 flights, I'm taking it all very slow. I fly high, and far over big forests. I'm very nervous about hitting things, since I'm still beginning, so I don't go near anything.

On my flight yesterday, coming back after flying for maybe 5 minutes (battery was full on take off), the p4 is still 30-50 feet up and very stable slowly on the way down. I'm coming down to land, and all of a sudden, one of the props flys off, and the P4 drops like a rock. The legs are pretty banged up, the gimbal looks to have taken some damage. Still haven't tried to turn it back on. I never found the prop, but I may go back tomorrow to look more. It's a very rocky spot out near an old mine. Not an easy place to look for a small white blade.

Has anyone heard of the props coming off?
Has anyone had any success with RMA process?
Has anyone had a wreck bad enough to require work. Was it your fault? Did you get it fixed?
What are my chances they are going to know that I didn't slam into something and break this? The video on the card won't play, but the video on my tablet, does show the end, but not the impact on the ground.

I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out if I put it half way on, and it just seems impossible. Either it's on or off...there really isn't an in between. I know these have been re-designed with p4 vs p3. There is no screwing action...just a half turn, like a pill bottle.

I've called DJI, and I guess they will be sending me an RMA number. 8 hours ago, and still have not received anything. It was in the wide open, and the prop flew off first, and then it dropped. 30 seconds earlier, it would have been impossible for me to see that level of detail, and likely never would have found the p4, since it is such think woods.

I'm really disappointed, and concerned these devices are not safe enough to be flown with any confidence.

Did you see the prop come off or are you thinking it did bc u couldn't find it?

Also, had you just put them on before the flight or had they been on other flights?

Did you carefully inspect the props and prop locks for damage before takeoff? Since the props lock, there is no way they can fall off unless they are installed improperly or are damaged.

Reactions: Roverggm
Also, had you just put them on before the flight or had they been on other flights?
Yes, I just put them on before the flight. I inspected as I always do, I could not pull any of them off with my hands, with the p4, it's a pretty simple click to get them on. The P4 flew for close to 5 minutes if not more, before this occurred. I'll inspect my video when I'm back at my house.

Did you carefully inspect the props and prop locks for damage before takeoff? Since the props lock, there is no way they can fall off unless they are installed improperly or are damaged.
P4 is less than 7 days old. No damage what so ever on prop locks. Not sure how I can install them incorrectly, it is such a simple operation.

Sorry amigo, that sucks. How about a pic of the brackets that hold the prop on? I'm curious if one is broken.

Sorry amigo, that sucks. How about a pic of the brackets that hold the prop on? I'm curious if one is broken.

How do I know this was the bracket? because there was dirt in here, before I just blew it out...the other three brackets still had props on.

5M4k-6avZD2YCnQMSnpOVLejOFqjXHnVEToR3JxH1t6cOJn-TnExoWA5HcuafscKjQVva9zbfNglAWEYa8mPtKZN2r3Y-_l0lUJ6ZlfF9Gcq7RsWLADqGqBZhOQ091e-LYXIeIoDESjoH0jJ4V4Oc3ZeD74L_iwFb1o9fRf1GTNOg7m_DndNEla1TXaBumxY5xUkXKcEWR5YAJLN134I5kiXmpu9OFP1eB_fUBkBpp1ltgI84W7qG4jmv-zkgkVtbEjPL3uQhlp2iM8kjk9wNclPdIeWQtMolgWbFiaadIyKCj3PzGMYlYvW2abDUJ1C4ES-cPXzQYV2VPCR325HG9gnOEaJSBZ2WJq9NuDXtY8ofUcZrGAa4cZbT3hfLOB6CQCSYlJgF7dkdSV3WzDoPK3PP09rMjhMf8JJAh-iAWgoMRUh_Frf-VcHtA5BOayc3F81fOJZdh25e1C-U721OnKihv661AC-IcD8K6Eare0rRFUQZdljOT3_nXGSBwxQiSVsJlzuEYkT9ZUcO_5Rbo73ydwr6l_4MdG2zqhDzPdx1a-4MTlrYHMdZA31sa_8hekhTHcYG6ni7sRivE8aXgPcH03XXtM=w1513-h852-no

The hex bolts and overall surface look very roughed up. I wonder if the crash did it.

P4 is less than 7 days old. No damage what so ever on prop locks. Not sure how I can install them incorrectly, it is such a simple operation.
Here are some potential points of failure:
  • The screws could loosen on the prop locks. That would allow the props to sit higher than they should -- which means the metal tabs would not be able to hold them into place.
  • The metal tabs on the prop locks could bend down lower. That could allow the props to slip out of the locking mechanism.
  • The props need to be turned until they pop into place. After that point, you should rotate them in the opposite direction a bit to ensure they are locked in.
It's very likely that one or more of the three scenarios above occurred.

It looks like someone has buggered with the allen bolt heads in the picture. Did you, or did you buy it used maybe?

What about a void in the plastic mould (the blade itself)

You need to go find that prop!:)

Reactions: nain
Wow This sucks man! Those screws do look all messed up on the prop lock for sure. I did see a vid the other day of a guy bending the tension arms up just a bit every now and then to help keep good pressure upwards on the props.

I can see it. Perhaps it'll help if I upload it here:

20160627_172946.jpg

Reactions: Jussaguy
Did you try to fasten/over fasten the bolts ? They looked to me that you try to mess with them with the wrong Allen size driver.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: anykill and MrFus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers