P4 Firmware v02.00.0106 Released (2017-07-06)

Hi ALL....P4P/,,new Nov 2016...all was good until this latest firmware... video transmission black out....nervous flying behavior in the air....video feed breakup..took 3 days did a complete reset (Ass2, RC,GO4 app, plane, SD card, cables) NO CHANGE!!!
Oh... tried LITCHI.... perfect. All issues went away... all was good...
Not flying until the NEXT update...

Not saying this is the cause for everyone, but if you have fitted any accessory like a 'gimbal protector' or similar that attaches to the skids, consider removing it as objects below the downward facing sensors can and will cause the skittish flying behavior some are seeing.

Also when performing an IMU calibration do pay close attention to the images that are displayed as the process if different to the way it used to be done and some of the images you must follow are not as clear as they could be...

Just as another data point, my P4 is flying perfectly in all respects after the update.

Reactions: ajyak and Suhail78
General experience since the firmware update, along with a full set of calibrations, has been good.

1. Hover and normal flight seem about as before. The controls do seem a bit more sensitive at times. Not seeing any issues with range or height so far.

2. I am getting wind warning I didn’t see before. Usually there is some wind, but not that much it seems.

3. Landings are much more stable and gentle and slow. This is a very good addition. Landing protection will also kick in at times if the ground below is detected as unsuitable (lighting seems to be a player here).

4. Video seems more stable with fewer drop outs than before. Seems smoother than before.

5. Terrain follow mode seems ok going uphill, but seems to have little effect going down hill. Will try this more at a different location with more room and slope differences.

6. Tripod mode seems fine with all the controls slowed down as expected.

7. Gesture mode seems fine, is easy to control, and takes good pictures when needed.

8. TapFly mode seems more accurate than before with the addition of visual tracking path on the video display.

9. Draw mode seems to work well…most of the time. When using at low altitude and slow speed, drone wobbles some during flight. When using higher speed at more altitude, seems quite smooth. Like the TapFly, it includes a green path on display of path and current position on it.

10. Have not yet tried the new sub modes for ActiveTrack or TapFly.

11. Seeing fewer authorization warnings than before. I live near the edge of an Enhanced Warning Zone. Before I used to get the authorization confirmation (with the two confirm check boxes) almost every time at takeoff. Now it seems rare. I do a weekly video of a local bridge construction project. Before I saw these warnings every time the drone passed the center point of the bridge (even within the same flight). Now I don’t see them at all there.

12. Obstacle avoidance seems more sensitive than before. I see warnings sooner and it seems to slows down more than before the update when near obstacles.

13. Many of the settings (max altitude, RTH height, etc) are defaulted after the update. You may have to reset these to your desired values. This may also be the case for the sensitivity settings in the Advanced Settings area, but I cannot confirm this as I don’t know what mine were before.

Yesterday I had my first flight after updating an calibrating everything; when flying fowards and backwards and I slow down slighty the speed (a very soft right stick release) it jerks a lot, and the gimbal is unable to handle with it, so the video footage wobbles. Today I have done a new test. Yesterday I recalibrated the whole system and today the Compass before the flight. I have lowed brake sensitivity to the minimum (70) and attitude to 50. I have reduced the pitch gain to 85 and I have been making modifications. My impressions:
1.-The Hover is very stable, more than before the update.
2.-It seems that the problem of the horizon has improved a lot, it do not tilt with the turns. Anyway I have to test it to the sea shore to confirm it, with a completely flat horizon.
3.-Flight modes work fine, but I'm not much fan of automatic modes, so I have not tried much.
4.-The problems of aggressive braking are maintained despite of the multiple variations of the gain, sensitivity and exponential parameters. There do not seem to be significant differences between some parameters and others, as if it did not change anything at all. In fact the braking distance seems the same with the sensitivity at 100, at 85 and at 70.
5.-It seems that the stability of the gimbal has improved slightly compared to yesterday, the image no longer vibrates so much in braking (it is also true that there was no wind at all today). But just when accelerating you see for an instant the propellers (it was not in sport mode) and when braking you see the propellers and even the tip of the front arms, at speeds of less than 10 m / sec, even at 6 m / s before braking !!!!!!!.
6.-No problems with video streaming, but did not move more than 500 m.
7.- I get 2 flying time minutes less per battery

Sorry for my English. Not a good update for me. I liked the smooth response to orders my bird had before

Reactions: Stach
Hi, I've done update... everything seems ok, but I continue having limitations in altitude and distance even after 2 log in to my DJI account. What's wrong? Never had request in order to confirm something...
I need help! Thank you.

Hi, I've done update... everything seems ok, but I continue having limitations in altitude and distance even after 2 log in to my DJI account. What's wrong? Never had request in order to confirm something...
I need help! Thank you.

Which versions of firmware and app are you using?

If you have updated to the latest firmware it will need to be used with a recent app version as well.

Updated today with no problems Using assistant. I didn't get the notice for the RC, so I just did like r62ewa said in post #24.
I did a short flight and so far, 2 things I noticed are , It's jittery on a fast straight descent, and the forward obstacle avoidance is definitely more sensitive.

My update went smoothly with all the lights flashing in weird formations, and beeps and gimbal jiggles, then at 92% got a message saying device not compatible. Ipad mini. I ignored the warning and the update finished OK.
I live on the coast and the tilted horizon is always an issue, so I will do a test flight soon and report back.

I had the same thing happen with me but my update finished Ok.

Ok so I took the P4 for a test flight all worked well with the exception of receiving a high wind warning for slight breezes. Stability in hover not as solid. Tripod setting works ok and arm wave for follow and selfie works fine.

Hi ALL....P4P/,,new Nov 2016...all was good until this latest firmware... video transmission black out....nervous flying behavior in the air....video feed breakup..took 3 days did a complete reset (Ass2, RC,GO4 app, plane, SD card, cables) NO CHANGE!!!
Oh... tried LITCHI.... perfect. All issues went away... all was good...
Not flying until the NEXT update...
I have yet to try Litchi with the new firmware, but if all is well with Litchi, then the problems would not be in the new P4 firmware, but in the GO 4 app itself, or something strange between the DJI GO 4 app and the new firmware. I'll post when I try Litchi instead of the GO 4 app.

Reactions: tomasallan
**** it, I knew better than to update.......

I thought I'd almost lost my bird today, mid flight started having video signal drops (as of total freaking blackouts) and wasn't even far from it, couple hundred feet in front of me, decided to test farther and suddenly lost total connection to the Phantom 4, waited and waited for the auto RTH to kick in and nothing, finally I see the RTH kick in so as soon as I see reasonable signal I cancel my RTH and start bringing it home manually but this gets better, mid flight back my gimbal goes kaput totally facing sideways and not responding (For a second my initial though was uhh ohh bird lost total power and its going down ..... but no), I used the RTH when I realized it was the camera/gimbal and finally landed, powered off and on and there it was the darn thing working again.

I never had an issue with my bird, I am hating life right now, when flying I am also suffering from the same things most everyone is experiencing, touchy/nervous behavior, doesn't seem to want to stay put, I did re-link the remote twice, I did calibrate the VPS, all of it to no avail.... firmware is total POS and now I can't get it back.

PLEASE PLEASE for the love of Pete, if anyone knows how to get this back to the previous version by all means do PM me.

I updated my Mavic as well, although its also suffering for the nervous nelly behavior at least the signal is staying solid.

Thanks.

I figured I'd write an update to my earlier post:

So went back and did a total refresh of the firmware on the remote and bird (I think this time it updated the battery), calibrated IMU, Compass, rebooted/power cycled them a couple times until I stopped receiving the IMU error, and finally took it out for a spin.

- Gimbal behaved and no erratic issues there
- Nervous Nelly behavior continues no matter how you lower the expo sensitivity
- Very finicky with wind, tends to overreact a bit.
- Vision system is also very sensitive (obstacle avoidance), more so than before. Not necessarily a bad thing IMO.

Just as a fun test I started playing with my Mavic which started experiencing the same symptoms (minus the gimbal) and to my surprise it did let me roll back (go figure):

- Back to smooth, chill flying, took it for a long flight/distance spin over a lake today and never a signal drop, so yes definitely there is something weird with the new firmware in combination with the APP, something is not jiving between the two.

Thanks.

My new "Firmware Update" with "Assistant 2" went well but now It (Assistant 2) don't let me calibrate the sensors. HELP

OK I managed 2 test flights today ,both with the updated firmware. One flight with DJI, and one with Litchi.
DJI gave me warnings on warm up to calibrate IMU, which I had already checked twice, it then gave a "IMU redundancy switch", warning. After warm up the warning went and the flight was good, and stable.
I tested battery life and got 23 mins, which is normal for me. I tested speed in Sport mode and only managed 42 mph, well down on the usual max of 50 mph, and it was obviously much less responsive. I do not usually fly fast, but some users will find a near 20% speed cut not very acceptable.
I ran the battery down to test the autoland function and it descended to about 2 ft off the ground, and then asked for confirmation to land, I had not noticed this before.
I do not like the warnings, and have lost some trust in DJI GO.

The Litchi flight was perfect, I tested a waypoint mission, and focus, and FPV, all same as usual. Again sport mode max speed 42 mph, zero wind on both flights. Same battery life as DJI. Absolutely no warnings, so all good.

Overall the Litchi experience was much better. DJI need to sort out these problems. Just noticed that we in the UK have a new Litchi update,shudders at the thought, just when it is stable.

OK I managed 2 test flights today ,both with the updated firmware. One flight with DJI, and one with Litchi.
DJI gave me warnings on warm up to calibrate IMU, which I had already checked twice, it then gave a "IMU redundancy switch", warning. After warm up the warning went and the flight was good, and stable.
I tested battery life and got 23 mins, which is normal for me. I tested speed in Sport mode and only managed 42 mph, well down on the usual max of 50 mph, and it was obviously much less responsive. I do not usually fly fast, but some users will find a near 20% speed cut not very acceptable.
I ran the battery down to test the autoland function and it descended to about 2 ft off the ground, and then asked for confirmation to land, I had not noticed this before.
I do not like the warnings, and have lost some trust in DJI GO.

The Litchi flight was perfect, I tested a waypoint mission, and focus, and FPV, all same as usual. Again sport mode max speed 42 mph, zero wind on both flights. Same battery life as DJI. Absolutely no warnings, so all good.

Overall the Litchi experience was much better. DJI need to sort out these problems. Just noticed that we in the UK have a new Litchi update,shudders at the thought, just when it is stable.

Yes. Infact I've noticed this that the update has made it much slower in sport mode , does anyone know why this is!?!? It's quite annoying

Yes. Infact I've noticed this that the update has made it much slower in sport mode , does anyone know why this is!?!? It's quite annoying

Are you sure you are actually in sport mode?..

After the update you will need to enable multiple flight modes again in the app...

Mine is much slower in sport mode also. Cant stand this new firmware. Cant film anything without massive shaking

Are you sure you are actually in sport mode?..

After the update you will need to enable multiple flight modes again in the app...

Yep Deffo in sport mode as I also fly in no gps mode also , deffo slower and less responsive than it was , used to be able to chuck it around

Mine is much slower in sport mode also. Cant stand this new firmware. Cant film anything without massive shaking

Yeah they are taking the piss a little, just as they get it sorted they bring out another f&@k up update that us loads of bugs . So it means now I can't fly in hardly any wind because it won't come back even in sport mode because hardly any extra power. Filming is jumpy and crap balancing gyros , they've messed it up this time!

Tried both apps again this evening, even the "new" Litchi. LItchi seemed to behave well on a manual flight (mission later), although there doesn't seem to be anything about RTH and precision landings. Maybe I'm missing something here, but the flight display only show immediate land, HL and CL. Wonder if Litchi just hasn't caught up with the latest P4 firmware yet...
One other question with the GO 4 app (latest), is I tried a "tap to fly" to a position just 10' or so AGL from about 100' and the flight display showed the "descending stairway" path, but instead of what i considered a controlled beeline, it took a curved course to the right. I over-road and aborted to avoid anything worse than a bit of a fright. I set the target point from a camera down pitch of about 45 deg. Should tapfly be made only with a strictly downpointing camera from altitude?

Almost forgot, I didn't get a wind warning this time round, and the previously noted IMU calibration did not appear this time in the GO app, just the standard "IMU warming up".

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor