P4 Battery life

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I fly my drone maybe twice a week as I am in school and have to devote my time to my studies but love to fly the P4 when I have the time.

I am concerned about charging the battery as I am under the impression that the P4 battery has a 'life' to it almost where it sort of learns to stay at a certain charge over time. After I fly my drone (considering I might fly twice a week at most), should I be charging up the battery immediately after flight for storage? Or should I be draining the battery completely, letting it sit and then charge to 100% before flight if I am going to be storing it for a few days.

Just looking for your opinions!

Thanks guys,

Isaac

Your batteries will last longer if you keep them stored between 30%-50%. It's perfectly fine to keep them at 100% charged for a few days if you're planning on flying again soon. I usually charge mine up from the storage level the day I plan to fly or the night before.

Reactions: isaacfromcanada
Related tip, if you store the batteries with a high charge level, they will automatically discharge to a storage level after 'X' days, By default 'X' is 10, I set mine explicitly to 2 days - you have to update this for each battery individually through the Go app.

Reactions: Thistlegorm Bill
And don't forget to add an additional 2-3 days to that time. For example, if using the 2 days setting, the batteries will actually take 4-5 days to finish discharging down from 100%.

Hi everyone,

I fly my drone maybe twice a week as I am in school and have to devote my time to my studies but love to fly the P4 when I have the time.

I am concerned about charging the battery as I am under the impression that the P4 battery has a 'life' to it almost where it sort of learns to stay at a certain charge over time. After I fly my drone (considering I might fly twice a week at most), should I be charging up the battery immediately after flight for storage? Or should I be draining the battery completely, letting it sit and then charge to 100% before flight if I am going to be storing it for a few days.

Just looking for your opinions!

Thanks guys,

Isaac
I suspect someone much older than you has warned you about "battery memory" in old NiCd and to a lesser extent NiMH cells. You can completely forget that, there is NO "memory" in any Li chemistry batteries.

Do a search on here about batteries, you will find hours of discussion and become well educated on the factors which affect the life of your battery. Tell your parents that it will also become a valuable part of your general education because you will have to "sort the wheat from the chaff" which is essential for internet (in fact all) research.

You also have to be aware that it is hard for many (mainly adults) to change ingrained opinions despite overwhelming evidence and some also regard the DJI manual (even superseded versions) as gospel when sometimes the evidence is to the contrary.

Another thing to consider is the experience of the poster, the interpretation of someone like msinger who can be safely classed as a guru on this forum carries far more weight than someone like myself who has only been on here for a few months.

Last edited:
I suspect someone much older than you has warned you about "battery memory" in old NiCd and to a lesser extent NiMH cells. You can completely forget that, there is NO "memory" in any Li chemistry batteries.

Do a search on here about batteries, you will find hours of discussion and become well educated on the factors which affect the life of your battery. Tell your parents that it will also become a valuable part of your general education because you will have to "sort the wheat from the chaff" which is essential for internet (in fact all) research.

You also have to be aware that it is hard for many (mainly adults) to change ingrained opinions despite overwhelming evidence and some also regard the DJI manual (even superseded versions) as gospel when sometimes the evidence is to the contrary.

Another thing to consider is the experience of the poster, the interpretation of someone like msinger who can be safely classed as a guru on this forum carries far more weight than someone like myself who has only been on here for a few months.

lol thanks for your reply bud

This is what I try to do. Try not to fly my batteries lower than 20% (try) once cool charge to 50% for storing, on fly day charge to 100%. Like msinger said if your battery is fully charged and your going to fly in 2 days' that's ok. If you discharge your battery after the second day and fly on the third you have used one charge cycle, your battery depending on how you drain and store only has X amount of cycles. High battery temperature in flight or in storage is life reducer as is storing fully charged or too low a charge for a long period of time.

So, if I have a battery at say 30% when I am done flying, then I charge it up to 50% for storage, then charge it up to 100% the next day because I decided to fly earlier than planned, is that considered one or two "cycles"?

Reactions: microlinux

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic