P3S Weak/Loss of Signal under 500 ft.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am needing some guidance dealing with loss of signal with my P3S. I fly my P3S around home quite a bit taking photos of our farm, land, and home, etc. I have noticed if I try taking it out past 500 ft. I get a weak RC Signal warning usually followed by a complete loss of signal and then it Returns Home. It is always RC Signal loss but never a loss of the video feed. I am flying in the US and using the DJI Go app. This same scenario happens while using my phone and tablet.

My father-in-law has the same exact model as me and is getting full range and has never had a loss of signal or weak RC signal. Even flying in the same area as me he gets way more range than I could ever expect to get. He is not using any type of extender or booster and I purchased my P3S brand new and have never crashed it. This has been a consistent problem since I took it out of the box. I even took it to the beach yesterday and had unlimited open space and little to no people around and still had the same problem. It would even lose signal and RTH while barely 100 ft. above me. I have updated to the latest firmware. Is there any troubleshooting I should do? Do I have a dud model and need to return it to DJI? Please help, I am at my wits end and cannot film or take pictures due to this issue.

Thanks!

does the go app tell you that you have good or poor signal strength at start up? Is your antenna properly pointed at 45 degrees?

does the go app tell you that you have good or poor signal strength at start up? Is your antenna properly pointed at 45 degrees?
Yes, good RC signal upon take off and then weak/loss after 400-500 ft out. Antenna is pointed and 45 degrees and I have even experimented pointing straight up, straight out, etc.

it's odd that your father can fly in the same area with no signal loss, I would guess nothing is interfering in that case. I am a newb and I get signal loss in the 300 foot range when I fly near my firehouse that has antennas etc so that is understandable.
Has it always been this way for you or is this something new?

it's odd that your father can fly in the same area with no signal loss, I would guess nothing is interfering in that case. I am a newb and I get signal loss in the 300 foot range when I fly near my firehouse that has antennas etc so that is understandable.
Has it always been this way for you or is this something new?
Always been an issue, since day one.

14870210991421149497221.jpg
hi u can get these,,ARGtec wifi extender kits,,or make windsufer to direc signal beta

should not need a $90 add on to get your $500 drone to work right. $90 and MAYBE that thing will get it to do what it should have done on its own.
Yip i totaly agree i just got sic of bad wifi ,,i couldent even go 100ft,,,from what i read and seen lately its luck of the draw on whats in the box,,,dj has to many versions and updates of its apps,,,,happy flyin

Reactions: Billy Banana
would you say the ARGtec solved all your wifi problems? Looks like you are not flying standard drones by the looks of the controllers. I would like to go further than the 1600 max I have reached a handful of times. Would you say the ARGtec is worth the cost for additional range?
I still would contact dji if I couldnt go over 500 without signal loss...

check out this video
the guy opens his controller and his antenna wire is loose. See if your wiring is secured. see the 1:23 mark in this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks to everyone for the help and concern. I just opened up the remote and wiring looked and felt secure. I'm going to attempt rolling back the previous updates and see it it works before contacting DJI. Any other tricks I should try? Such as updating the remote by itself? Or does the remote update while the drone updates?

@EagleAK

From my experience, your unit is defective, you can always swap remotes with your father-in-law, you have to re-link the Remote to the Phantom.

I believe if you link his remote to your phantom, his would be able to operate yours or his, and he would not need to re-link to his Phantom when your done with the test. I'm actually not sure about that part, anybody got answer to this one?

Rod

Reactions: DanMan32
Thanks to everyone for the help and concern. I just opened up the remote and wiring looked and felt secure. I'm going to attempt rolling back the previous updates and see it it works before contacting DJI. Any other tricks I should try? Such as updating the remote by itself? Or does the remote update while the drone updates?
Maybe you should leave my idea alone for now, the phantom updates the remote firmware if needed.

Rod.

@EagleAK

I have had a feeling that the firmware update when it kills the signal may be related to turning of the remote when it says firmware update successful. When it says successful, restart the phantom, but leave the remote on.
I really would like to know......

Terrible signal performance

Rod

Hi evrybody I'm trying to get an extendable holder for.my P3S but it looks that it might take up to April 6th to receive it from China to Italy. Any suggestion on possible way to get it earlier ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here are some screenshots of my most recent flight. I re-linked the RC and calibrated the sticks. I am running version 1.8.10 and says that there is no available firmware to downgrade to. As you can see I was able to reach 700+ feet out before losing signal but only for a few seconds, other attempts didn't even make it that far. I had clear line of sight and even experimented with the antenna straight out, up, and 45 degrees.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-14-19-03-37.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-14-19-03-37.png
    459.3 KB · Views: 387
  • Screenshot_2017-02-14-19-00-02.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-14-19-00-02.png
    423.6 KB · Views: 395
  • Screenshot_2017-02-14-18-59-46.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-14-18-59-46.png
    418.6 KB · Views: 402
  • Screenshot_2017-02-14-18-59-28.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-14-18-59-28.png
    438.6 KB · Views: 423
  • Screenshot_2017-02-14-18-58-37.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-14-18-58-37.png
    457.6 KB · Views: 408
  • Screenshot_2017-02-14-18-57-17.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-14-18-57-17.png
    434.9 KB · Views: 456
something is wrong with the controller or the drone, contact dji!
Are you using Litchi? or the Go app?

something is wrong with the controller or the drone, contact dji!
Are you using Litchi? or the Go app?

Using the Go app. My Father in law will be in town in two days so I'm going to try with his controller. If it is the controller will DJI replace just the RC?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic