P3S Range issues after firmware upgrade

Ok so I bought my standard p3 on feb 26. When I turned it in I know I had to do an update cause it asked me to so I did. I recently installed dbs mod so this brought up the research of FW. I checked today and literally my FW is as listed

App: 2.7.1
Aircraft: 1.2.40+

Now I am not getting what I expected with the dbs mod so i was wondering if I should bite the bullet and upgrade to the new FW 1.5.70.

Someone here stated that you can downgrade FW by holding the graduation cap on the equipment page of the GO App. When I did this it said

Phantom 3 standard
Current version: 1.2.40+
Please select FW version
And lists 1.3.50 to download.

How is that a downgrade and should I do 1.3.5 before 1.5.70

I guess it depends on the app and your aircraft as to what downgrade you can and should do. I listed a link where you can download the previous:

Phantom 3 Standard | Jogjasky

versions and add it to your sd card and try aircraft should load it. Make sure you delete and reinstall the go app or go to your user settings on go app and clear firmware cache. and other versions of .bin files On the sd card so there's no other info on it by formatting it through go apps camera settings.

Idk, there are plenty of people that have the latest firmware and are very happy with it.

I posted this before in a different thread about my P3S:

My P3S came with the original firmware:
2015.9.3 - Version: v1.1.30
I did the "Christmas FW update" about a week after it came out:
2015.12.22 - Version: v1.3.50
I noticed that my range decreased and signal became much weaker after this update.
On March 20th i updated to the newest FW:
2016.3.15 - Version: v1.4.60
Surprisingly, it improved my range and quality of signal and wifi video down link. ( a lot of other P3S owners also confirmed the latest update improved signal/distance).

So, from what i've been reading, Version: v1.4.60 FW update fixed or improved signal and range for a lot of people.
Now there is a newer update that just came out 2-3 days ago. Im not going to update right away. i will wait to hear feedback from others. Im very satisfied with v.1.4.60 and dont want things to get screwed up if i update to the newest FW

Ok so I bought my standard p3 on feb 26. When I turned it in I know I had to do an update cause it asked me to so I did. I recently installed dbs mod so this brought up the research of FW. I checked today and literally my FW is as listed

App: 2.7.1
Aircraft: 1.2.40+

Now I am not getting what I expected with the dbs mod so i was wondering if I should bite the bullet and upgrade to the new FW 1.5.70.

Someone here stated that you can downgrade FW by holding the graduation cap on the equipment page of the GO App. When I did this it said

Phantom 3 standard
Current version: 1.2.40+
Please select FW version
And lists 1.3.50 to download.

How is that a downgrade and should I do 1.3.5 before 1.5.70

If you are not happy with the range, then you should probably update the FW.
From my experience, the worst FW update was the 'Christmas' v.1.3.50 FW release. If you search the forum for post from the beginning of January, you will see a lot of members complaining about range issues and very bad signal loss right after the update. I did the 1.3.5 update when it first came out, and i was not happy with it at all. My average P3S distance was 800'-1600'.
After i did the DBS mod my range went up to 3,000'-6,000'. After adding the amps, it went up to 7,000' to 12,000' average, with max 16,800'. I was still having signal issues here and there.
When v1.4.60 came out, i did that update, and i noticed that the signal quality improved. Im going to stick with the current update. I just dont know enough about the most recent FW update to pull the trigger.

Yell this morning charging up stuff last night, remote and battery for bird, and my tablet overnight, tablet won't power on. Been messing with it off and on for about 6 hrs. Fricken nothing, won't even blink, tried and tested on 3 different chargers / cables. Other devices show charging. What ever....

what could it hurt to go back to the older FW? FOR US THAT HAVE CRAP FOR FLIGHT DISTANCE ( LESS THAN 1500 FEET) maybe it could help??

1.4.60 was on my P3S when I got it about a month ago. Maybe it was DJI mistake which they never released?

You can go down only one firmware. Now that you have updated to 1.5.70, you can go back to 1.4.60 only. 1.3.50 cannot be installed manually or otherwise as far as I know.

How far does your P3S go? Mine goes a mere 100 meters and loses signal, but I have perfect video feed. Haven't lost video feed even once.
Hey man check this out I have the latest version but can still go back to 1.3.50 see below
521e91613299da5bed9ce9b1bcf7c7d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

1.4.60 was on my P3S when I got it about a month ago. Maybe it was DJI mistake which they never released?
I also have the 1.4.60. I don't know why that one doesn't show up for the ones trying to downgrade.

I just looked at my camera roll. On Friday night I took a picture of my android device saying I had 1.4.60, and I could download to 1.3.50, but as you can see post #46 I had no device anymore.
Monday night I fixed the same model of Android that failed on me about a month ago. The ribbon wire for the touch screen had came loose. So now I can try again.
I am picky on testing so I want to fly just before and after a update. I will update when I can...

A small update from the question I had posted on the 2nd page about my firmware and stuff. I made the jump to newest one 1.5.70 or something like that. Honestly glad I did. All the issues I was having with range went away. Did 3000+ feet yesterday and still had full bars on wifi and signal. Was kinda scared to keep going so turned back since it was over water. I recalibrated everything after the install and so far no issues. Will keep you posted if anything arises.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Up graded to firmware 1.5.70 and everything seems to be working great. I keep my drone within visual distance at all times so I have no idea about the range. Just make sure that the drone has its compass properly calibrated. It is very important that the bird is not anywhere near metal and this especially includes rebar in concrete during calibration.

Happy flying!

Reactions: Dexterk20
Up graded to firmware 1.5.70 and everything seems to be working great. I keep my drone within visual distance at all times so I have no idea about the range. Just make sure that the drone has its compass properly calibrated. It is very important that the bird is not anywhere near metal and this especially includes rebar in concrete during calibration.

Happy flying!

You know it's funny you say about the rebar in concrete but you don't realize or forget sometimes that they do that. I was on a cement bench one day and just placed the drone there and the compass went bananas. Then I remembered/realized they use rebar to strengthen the bench so yeah.

So yeah just remember even concrete can have metal in it.

I went from 1.2.40 to the latest firmware 1.5.70 seems to be all good....tested range and flew 1200m stock ce mode.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I went from 1.2.40 to the latest firmware 1.5.70 seems to be all good....tested range and flew 1200m stock ce mode.
Does Litchi still work?

Downgrade is correct
To lower the version it is necessary on each version. For example, from 1.6.8 to 1.5.7, then to 1.4.6. Finish FW 1.3.5.

If someone gets to lower 1.3.5 and everything will work, tell us how and what they did

Here is the corrected instruction:
1 - format the card on the computer
2 - create an empty file without extension P3C_FW_DEBUG
3 - put this file in the root of the map. There also throws the firmware file with the extension .bin
4 - insert the map into the camera of the copter
5 - turn on the remote control
6 - connect to the phantom network phantom tablet, launch DJI GO
7 - turn on the copter.
There will be a process of flashing. GO will reflect progress. When it changes (GO writes Sucsess), and the copter is a little bit squeaky, the lamp on the hanger above the camera will glow green.
8 - turn off the console, copter.
9 - WE COLLECT THE CARD
10 - start the console, copter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.