P3S Drone/Bird Forced Firmware Downgrade - Working! - Might Help Bricks

Go to PhantomHelp.com and find firmware. Download FW1.5.7+ to your Mac or PC. Mount the micro chip from the camera gimbal making sure there are no bin files in the root directory. Put newly downloaded bin file on chip and put back in gimbal. Now turm battery on and hold the link button on the drone down until beeps. In ten or more minutes gimbal light should turn solid green. Never do a full upgrade again unless you intend to move up from 1.5.7+. If this procedure is not clear, others have described the process elsewhere in AutoPilots.com.

P3S Drone/Bird Forced Firmware Downgrade - Working! - Might Help Bricks

Last edited:
So this may help out those with bricked birds. I can confirm that it does indeed work.

Download FW 1.5.7 - http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_standard/P3C_FW_V01.05.0070.bin

Pop it on your SD card.

Hold the Sync button on your bird/drone and power it on. Keep holding the Sync button for about another 10 seconds or so. You will here the FW beeps. The light on the front of the gimbal will blink Red/Green. Let go of the Sync button and wait. This process takes around 15 mins. Once completed it will give you a different set of beeps and the gimbal light will stay Green. Power it off and take out the SD card and check it for the text file from the FW. Here is what mine said. Mine was fully up to date @ 1.6.8 before

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:14 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3C_FW_V01.05.0070.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

This has nothing to do with the RC, its just for the drone.

This also did help my range I was getting. My RC is at 1.6.8 and my drone is at 1.5.7 using the newest DJI GO App and I was able to get more distance then I have yet.

i am starting this process now. except my led isnt blinking red/green. it is just solid green. it is making some beeping noises though. guess i will wait and see what happens

i am starting this process now. except my led isnt blinking red/green. it is just solid green. it is making some beeping noises though. guess i will wait and see what happens

frick....unsuccessful...this is the message i got

========== 2016.12.21 12:04:44 =====================
Packet: P3C_FW_V99.99.9999.bin
Upgrading ...

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:13 remo-con disconnect======
Result: Abort.
The current firmware does not support downgrade. Use a different version of firmware to downgrade the target version

frick....unsuccessful...this is the message i got

Upgrading ...

The current firmware does not support downgrade. Use a different version of firmware to downgrade the target version
What is the current version of FW on your drone? You can only "step-down" one version. (i.e from v1.6.n down to v1.5.n works, from v1.7.n down to v1.5.n will not)

What is the current version of FW on your drone? You can only "step-down" one version. (i.e from v1.6.n down to v1.5.n works, from v1.7.n down to v1.5.n will not)

current version is 1.7. we tried to step down to 1.5 and 1.6 and also side step to 1.7 again. apparently 1.7 wont let you upgrade/downgrade through the sd card. i guess i have a brick that im going to have to send back. some little kids christmas is going to be ruined

im going to have to send back. some little kids christmas is going to be ruined
Why? Does the drone not work at all with the current FW?

Like I said above, you cant downgrade more than 1 version. Given you are already at 1.7.n not sure why you would want to unless your drone isnt working at all. That said...

A couple months ago I tried and tried to downgrade from 1.6.n to 1.5.n and despite all the help I got here, all failed. As a last ditch effort, I removed the SD card from the drone and formatted it under Windows. The SD card is now completely empty (as opposed to formatting it on the drone which place 2 folder on the card). I copied the .bin file onto the card and then inserted it back into the drone. Voila.... It worked first time. I cant explain why it worked this time. Maybe just pure luck but its worth a shot if you have exhausted all options :)

Why? Does the drone not work at all with the current FW?

Like I said above, you cant downgrade more than 1 version. Given you are already at 1.7.n not sure why you would want to unless your drone isnt working at all. That said...

A couple months ago I tried and tried to downgrade from 1.6.n to 1.5.n and despite all the help I got here, all failed. As a last ditch effort, I removed the SD card from the drone and formatted it under Windows. The SD card is now completely empty (as opposed to formatting it on the drone which place 2 folder on the card). I copied the .bin file onto the card and then inserted it back into the drone. Voila.... It worked first time. I cant explain why it worked this time. Maybe just pure luck but its worth a shot if you have exhausted all options :)

its not working at all. the drone will not link to the RC. i formatted the sd card on windows so there were no folders. then put the .bin files on the sd card. powered up while holding the link button down for 10 seconds. light flashes red/green for approx 5 minutes. then the beeps change and the light goes solid green. power down and power back up and still wont link. pulled sd card and looked at the log. this is what it says no matter downgrading to v1.5, v1.6 or sidegrading to 1.7

Upgrading ...

The current firmware does not support downgrade. Use a different version of firmware to downgrade the target version.

can someone put a photo of the sync button? I dont see it...

Plus,, I was able to go from 1.7 to 1.6 normally without forcing..will this method help me get down one more step?

I'd like to try this. Before I do I'd like to ask this:

I bought this drone as an open box item but I don't think it's been flown before I got it. I've had it a month.

It is running 1.6.8

The root of my SD card has a bin file with the name P3C_FW_V99.99.999.bin

The results text file shows this as having been successfully loaded in the past. (Says Jan 1, 2014 but I think that's the default zero date)

Is this normal? Will this disrupt the downgrade? Should I remove it and try? Leave it and try?

Any advice appreciated.

Bill

I ended up using a fresh sd card with only 1.5.7 on it and it worked.

I would be careful manually downgrading. I downgraded mine and I kept getting No RC Signal so I upgraded again and then started getting Main Controller Error all my searching on the internet says that it's a problem you have to send back to DJI. So I purchased a new P3S from BestBuy and returned the Main Controller Error drone in its box.

So many IMU errors...

Greetings DJI Owners,

I purchased my Phantom 3 Standard second-hand, upgraded with the latest firmware, new blades, charged up my batteries...and got to 275 feet and lost my RC signal.

WT...?? I've seen videos of these things going out thousands of yards, not a couple hundred feet. SO I tried the downgrading to old firmwares...then I got a whole new set of issues- IMU recalibration requests, aircraft disconnected, gimbal misalignment.

If the firmware REALLY limited flight, do any of you really believe you could use the DJI GO app and bypass the upgrade-limitations??

I have tried EVERY old firmware version available, none of them work, or have gotten my props even turning.

Accepting the latest upgrade will limit RC distance, or NOT? Has DJI confirmed this, and if so, do you need something like "Litche" to employ the old firmware?

Last edited:
So many IMU errors...

Greetings DJI Owners,

I purchased my Phantom 3 Standard second-hand, upgraded with the latest firmware, new blades, charged up my batteries...and got to 275 feet and lost my RC signal.

WT...?? I've seen videos of these things going out thousands of yards, not a couple hundred feet. SO I tried the downgrading to old firmwares...then I got a whole new set of issues- IMU recalibration requests, aircraft disconnected, gimbal misalignment.

If the firmware REALLY limited flight, do any of you really believe you could use the DJI GO app and bypass the upgrade-limitations??

I have tired EVERY old firmware version available, none of them work, or have gotten my props even turning.

Accepting the latest upgrade will limit RC distance, or NOT? Has DJI confirmed this, and if so, do you need something like "Litche" to employ the old firmware?
I am running latest (1.9.2) firmware on my P3S. I've never needed to push it further than 1200 feet. No app be it Go or Litchi, will impact your signal.

Range issues as you described could be a loose antenna either inside the controller or the AC. Or it could be as simple as interference from nearby homes or buildings.

I feel your pain since this is all new and it sounds like you dug yourself a hole. I would do whatever I could to get the firmware to 1.9.2 and then try flying again, but in a different location.

I am running latest (1.9.2) firmware on my P3S. I've never needed to push it further than 1200 feet. No app be it Go or Litchi, will impact your signal.

Range issues as you described could be a loose antenna either inside the controller or the AC. Or it could be as simple as interference from nearby homes or buildings.

I feel your pain since this is all new and it sounds like you dug yourself a hole. I would do whatever I could to get the firmware to 1.9.2 and then try flying again, but in a different location.

Thanks, LarBear360,

So, I have flown in both restricted areas with dense interference and in an open field miles from any building or electrical wires. Both resulted in 275 ft RC loss.

I could access the update, I think, and go back to flying. But I NEED further flight capabilities...not necessarily higher, but I need to fly further.

Loose antenna...? So, you think this idea of returning to old firmware is bunk?

Why then, are there pages upon pages, and videos too numerous to count, covering these downgrading-steps?

So, you CAN achieve 1200 ft away with the latest firmware? Is the your max distance? I've seen videos of 1600 METERS away...!

That's the kind of capability I NEED for a project.

Thanks, LarBear360,

So, I have flown in both restricted areas with dense interference and in an open field miles from any building or electrical wires. Both resulted in 275 ft RC loss.

I could access the update, I think, and go back to flying. But I NEED further flight capabilities...not necessarily higher, but I need to fly further.

Loose antenna...? So, you think this idea of returning to old firmware is bunk?

Why then, are there pages upon pages, and videos too numerous to count, covering these downgrading-steps?

So, you CAN achieve 1200 ft away with the latest firmware? Is the your max distance? I've seen videos of 1600 METERS away...!

That's the kind of capability I NEED for a project.
Yes, 1200 feet with solid video and control signal. Sorry, but I don't know what the max distance mine will do. I've never pushed it further as I get weak in the knees when I can't see or hear the thing! I do know the P3S is rated at 1,000 meters (about 3,300 feet) under ideal conditions.

I can't speak to rolling back the firmware. I'm happy with what I get from my P3S. If I ever need long range, I have a P3 Pro which should go about a mile if I wanted it to.

I suspect your issue is hardware related. Earlier this year I suddenly started losing signal at around 300 feet no matter where I flew. I thought it was a bad controller so I purchased a second RC with same results. DJI eventually replaced the drone under warranty and no problems since.

Yes, 1200 feet with solid video and control signal. Sorry, but I don't know what the max distance mine will do. I've never pushed it further as I get weak in the knees when I can't see or hear the thing! I do know the P3S is rated at 1,000 meters (about 3,300 feet) under ideal conditions.

I can't speak to rolling back the firmware. I'm happy with what I get from my P3S. If I ever need long range, I have a P3 Pro which should go about a mile if I wanted it to.

I suspect your issue is hardware related. Earlier this year I suddenly started losing signal at around 300 feet no matter where I flew. I thought it was a bad controller so I purchased a second RC with same results. DJI eventually replaced the drone under warranty and no problems since.

So, I am flying again...I just re-updated the firmware. Couldn't go to 275, but I will try it again.

Over at the DJI forum it states that the P3S has the 'capability' of 20k feet, but firmware limits its abilities in accordance with federal and state regulations...so...yeah...that's happening.

Also, there's a russian company that reverse-engineered the DJI firmware so you can remove these restrictions for a price...they are "Coptersafe software"

Here's an interesting article covering the matter- DJI Is Locking Down Its Drones Against a Growing Army of DIY Hackers

Last edited:
Reactions: LarBear360

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.