P3S dat file extraction

Reaction score
I've been trying to get the .dat files from my p3s but haven't had any luck yet.
I did have the AC show up in the PCs explorer tree once, but no files listed.
I tried FTP which gave me 3 folders, all of which were empty.
I tried installing the DJI drivers, which took a lot of UAC fiddling to get started, but the installer finished saying no suitable drivers found.
Is there an assistant that works with a P3standard?
I would like to get the DAT files out before they get overwritten.

Am I missing something?

I've been trying to get the .dat files from my p3s but haven't had any luck yet.
I did have the AC show up in the PCs explorer tree once, but no files listed.
I tried FTP which gave me 3 folders, all of which were empty.
I tried installing the DJI drivers, which took a lot of UAC fiddling to get started, but the installer finished saying no suitable drivers found.
Is there an assistant that works with a P3standard?
I would like to get the DAT files out before they get overwritten.

Am I missing something?
Have you tried the steps as shown here: How to retrieve a .DAT

Yes... that was the first set of instructions I tried.
The app tells me it is in flight data mode, but the TF card does not get mounted.
(well the one time it did mount I could not get a file/folder list)
I haven't tried telnet yet.

I just tried again and eventually had the device list in the tree, but when entering the root got a windows FTP error,may not have permission. I'll try filezilla again as that gives me the chance to enter a password

Using root and PW = Big~9China
I connect to the ac wifi and it opens /tmp folder.
tmp has 3 question marked subdirectories... Lock, Log and Run.
I do not seem to be able to get a directory listing for the root directory.
and attempting to open any of tmp's subdirectories results in a timeout error.

both 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 give the same results, but 192.168.1.3 allows me access to the camera tf card and works normally

Yes... that was the first set of instructions I tried.
The app tells me it is in flight data mode, but the TF card does not get mounted.
(well the one time it did mount I could not get a file/folder list)
I haven't tried telnet yet.
What is the TF card? And, are you using the USB plug in the nose of the P3S? Not, the USB plug on the side of the camera/gimbal?

What is the TF card?
My guess was that he meant "transflash" card which was the original name for what became micro SD cards. I still have card readers labeled TF or T-Flash on the slot in which I now use micro SD cards.

Reactions: JoBe and BudWalker
I am baffled by what you're trying to achieve.

You state you want to just get DAT logs, but instead of connecting to Flight Controller, you start probing internal Ethernet of the Ph3 Std.

Ph3 Std contains several ethernet-capable chips, which are connected into small network. These chips include Wifi controllers in both RC and AC, but also Ambarella.

But this is not the main communication system between the drone modules. That main comm system is accessible via UART, and exchanges packets in DJIs own DUML protocol. The DUML packets can be wrapped into Wifi packets when going through the mini-ethernet, but generally are exchanged separately, using UART connections between chips.

If you want to see the DUML packets, and the DAT logs, you need to connect to front USB on your drone. That's direct connection to Flight Controller, which gives you virtual UART with DUML communication, and on request also creates storage device with flight logs.

And if you want root access to the chips on internal Ethernet, you have to either know credentials, or connect to their consoles first and configure services on the Linuxes they run on. Though not sure how useful access to the Wifi chips would be. You could boost transmission power, but that's it.

There are actually tools already made for boosting TX power in Ph3 Std. These tools do use the Ethernet. So you will likely be able to extract credentials from them.

For FTP errors - on some drones, DJI used modified FTP server - which AES-encrypts the data. Maybe Ph3 Std uses that too. The OG group forced DJI to release source code of that modified FTP Server (it was a modification of a code under GPL license, so by law it had to be made public).

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Thanks for your comprehensive epistle but unfortunately it does not help with my original aim.
As I stated in the first post I just want the AC .dat files before they get overwritten. My P3S was pre-loved and I wish to know how hard. I started trying to use the wifi because the USB front port is not mounting properly. I don't wish to open the bird up and was hoping someone else had overcome the same problem.
"and on request also creates storage device with flight logs."
is this request "enter flight data mode"? because the RC tells me i am in flight data mode but the mounted icon in the PCExplorer tree is empty.

> is this request "enter flight data mode"?

Yes.

> but the mounted icon in the PCExplorer tree is empty

You mean Explorer under Windows? Then you can try another PC, maybe with different OS.

> I just want the AC .dat files before they get overwritten

Each time you turn on your drone, a new log file is written. Not sure if old logs are deleted based on size, or only on number of files.

Anyway, logs are only accessible through Flight Controller, which is STM32 uC. It's connected to the internal sd-card which stores the logs. It's not connected to the Ethernet. So you can get the logs either by Flight Data Mode, or by utilizing DUML command to talk to the FC directly. I don't think there is a tool for that, but I've seen sdcard-related commands in Wireshark Dissectors:
OGs dji-firmware-tools: Wireshark dissectors

Thanks for that idea... hooked the AC up to my GFs laptop and all the dat files showed up immediately.

It is a 4GB disk with 2.5GB used. The dat files start at FLY049 on the date of my first flight, so I assume 1-48 have either been overwritten or deleted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.