P3S.....crispy and clear video, but blurry pics?

Reaction score
I've searched the forums, and everywhere else online...but aside from other people having the same issue, I have yet to find a fix.

My P3S takes amazing video...crystal clear and sharp, I've very happy with it.......but when it comes to pictures, they are all really lacking......most just seems every so slightly blurry and out of focus. At this point I can get better pictures from just taking a snapshot of the video frames.......the pictures are just lousy.

Anyone else had this issue (from what I've found online, it's not uncommon)......any anyone found a fix to make the pictures look at nice as the videos do?

Any advice or help would be great!! Thanks!

Reactions: alisomilon
The good news is your video looks good which means your camera is working properly.

First thing I would double check are the camera settings. Are you shooting RAW or JPEG? RAW photographs have the appearance of being “flat,” but allow you to fully edit every aspect of the uncompressed image vs the camera compressing the the image to a JPEG with less information recorded.

Also, are the photos "lacking" on all devices used to view?

P3 standard takes good pictures in bright light. With editing skills, you can still get some good pictures in dim light conditions. Videos aren't as demanding on light.

P3 standard takes good pictures in bright light. With editing skills, you can still get some good pictures in dim light conditions. Videos aren't as demanding on light.
If it's using the same lens, and same sensor.....why would the quality degrate when taking a picture? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Video needs a little blur to make a good video. You do not want video crisp. It will look funny. You want the shutter to be twice the frame rate. 30 frame = 60 shutter, for video. So videos will take better low light pictures. Same with my Nikon. When I can't get a good picture of the deer in my back yard in the evenings, I take a video and it comes out much better.

I'm taking them right off of the card, and saving them to my PC. They really do look pretty horrible......even with good lighting. But when I switch over to video, it looks amazing!
OK, so let's have a look? Post a few examples in their original format. Do not change the file type. Attach to a reply exactly as is.

Lern't something, maybe even OP problem, what if gimbal is "sloppy"? would that kill both birds in one shot
Sorry, "sloppy gimbal" ? I just reached my level of incompetency. I knew that would happen. I just need to keep quiet and people wouldn't ask me things I don't know anything about. LOL

I haven't ever tried taking still photographs, because with the VLC Media Player, I can extract snapshots from any moment in time when I pause the video, such as when this hawk swooped by for a closer look at my drone, and luckily chose not to duke it out. I must point out that these pictures have been greatly reduced in resolution, so as to post them in this forum. The originals are far sharper in focus.

Attachments

• Industrial Poultry.jpg.jpg
    Industrial Poultry.jpg.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Curious Hawk.jpg.jpg
    Curious Hawk.jpg.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 179
I haven't ever tried taking still photographs, because with the VLC Media Player, I can extract snapshots from any moment in time when I pause the video, such as when this hawk swooped by for a closer look at my drone, and luckily chose not to duke it out. I must point out that these pictures have been greatly reduced in resolution, so as to post them in this forum. The originals are far sharper in focus.
A common cause of blurry photos in any camera is a shutter set too slow. I don't recall the camera adjustments in the P3 but if you're closing the iris then the camera has to lengthen the shutter time to allow the right amount of light in to get a proper exposure, especially if the ISO is set to a lower setting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.