P3P to Mavic

Reaction score
Since the Mavic Pro has been out for awhile now, theres definitely some real world experience. I've been on the fence on whether to sell off my P3p to get a Mavic. For those of you that have both or just straight up upgraded and sold your P3's, are you much happier with the Mavic? Do you get much more satisfaction?

The Mavic is really a different type of quadcopter. Like the Phantom, it also has pros and cons. I'm happy with my Mavic though. I haven't had any trouble with it yet.

The Mavic is really a different type of quadcopter. Like the Phantom, it also has pros and cons. I'm happy with my Mavic though. I haven't had any trouble with it yet.

What do you think are its cons ?
(the mavic)

Here are a few I've noticed:
  • The remote controller battery only lasts for 5-6 flights
  • It sits very low to the ground
  • The gimbal is very fragile
  • It's not as good for flying in stronger wind
  • It's more dangerous to hand catch
Depending on what you plan to do with a Mavic, these might or might not be cons for you too.

Here are a few I've noticed:
  • The remote controller battery only lasts for 5-6 flights
  • It sits very low to the ground
  • The gimbal is very fragile
  • It's not as good for flying in stronger wind
  • It's more dangerous to hand catch
Depending on what you plan to do with a Mavic, these might or might not be cons for you too.

Most worrying one out those is fragile gimbal.

What do you think are its cons ?
(the mavic)

I also don't think the camera is as good. The resolution is as good. However, I'm not a huge fan in that the visual angles have been reduced.

Not too much of a con but I think the information on the controller is about useless. At least the way it's set up.

As mentioned, the Mavic is a different beast. For me, the main reason I bought the Mavic is because it's portable. However, I also kept my P3 and P4.

I have both the p3p and Mavic an rarely fly the P3P anymore.

The Mavic is just an easier/quicker set up and can travel with it a lot easier.

I have both the P3P and Mavic. I fly the Mavic more as it is faster to set up (props already installed) and easier to travel with. The Mavic is more advance with things like active tracking, so easier to capture my buddies mountain biking. The range and flight time is longer than the P3P. But I there is still some stuff I like about my P3P. For one, the remote battery last longer. I seem to get 4-5 flights with my Mavic before needing to charge the remote battery. The P3P has more powerful motors and handles the winds better. The camera focus has no manual adjustments so my pictures are always in focus, where the Mavic requires you to tap on the screen on what you want to keep in focus (sometimes a pain as what looks in focus on my phone screen might be a different story once you view the actual video). I guess it all boils down to what you are going to use it for. If you don't mind carrying a bigger drone that requires a backpack style carrying case, want cheaper price and fly more often in wind, I use the P3P. If you are a blogger, you tuber, than the convenience of small and being to have the Mavic with you at all times, then the Mavic is for you. Also, I do worry from time to time about the tiny gimbal and the gimbal lock holder on the Mavic. The gimbal and gimbal lock on the P3P seems more solid to me.

Can we talk range , as someone who has gone lengths (no pun) to extend my range on my P3P, (boosters maxxantenna) how is the range honestly compared to the Mavic?

Also has anyone added a Maxxantenna yet to the mavics?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164