P3P or P3A?

i have only a 1080p tv, and there is a pretty big quality difference with 4k vs 2.7k. you dont need a 4k monitor to get the quality out of a 4k vid.
That video above explains this effect quite nicely and I always wondered why for technical reasons 4K looks better than 1080p on a 1080p screen.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Alternatively Start with p3a and later if you are unhappy, replace the camera with the p3p's one.

Alternatively Start with p3a and later if you are unhappy, replace the camera with the p3p's one.

Unless oyu have a better source than I have found, the P3A plus a new camera costs more than the P3P. Even if you account for selling off the old P3A camera.

If you buy a new one it's undoubtedly more expensive. Maybe scouting a 2hand deal could be the solution

Are you saying the P3P produces bad footage?

No footage is great but transmission to the rc is to be desired. The footage always looks great after copying it direct from the gimble I guess. Who really needs more than a visible image to navigate anyway... the artifacts make me nervous sometimes at range though. I personally wouldn't want less although I trust RTH now.

I hear my p3p has 10/mbps to the tab on the video feed and it still is only ok at a distance. P3a has 2mbps.

Everyone is talking about video quality down scaled and yaddayadda. The pro has way better range and faster video uplink drastically increasing usability to the point where with a cheap windsurfer mod, the battery is the bottleneck. Period.

Last edited:
Just curious, why do you need 4k going to your RC? Or even 10mb/s 720? What possible use would it be? I really can't tell a whole lot of difference between the 2mb and 10mb on my S5. Granted its a pretty small screen. Still gotta get the nVidia ordered one of these days. I mean what level of detail do you really need to fly with? If you can distinguish the surroundings and get a reasonable representation of what video its recording, what else do you really require of the RC video link?

I do agree on the flight time being the limiting factor. I got +10k out with my bone stock (not even windsurfer) P3P before I lost video (still had RC).

Yeah you're right I don't really care about 4k to the rc... I just get nervous when it isn't clear as can be I guess. My whole point is 10 isn't spectacular so I can't really picture worse. Maybe I'm spoiled.

It is nothing to do with rc range and everything to do with making me comfortable with flying it.

I mean, as long as you can see the Flight4Life coming at you or the billboard you are about to hit, do you really need to see the "Printed in USA" printed in 9pt font in the lower left corner of the billboard? For me, not so much. As long as its on the video on the SD card, I am cool.

Do I want to fly around with a screen that looks like Minecraft? No. But do I need the full iMax experience either? No not really. I will gladly trade higher video feed quality for longer range/flight time.

Yeah I am definitely speaking from the perspective of a new user. These are my first observations on overall usability. Very glad I went pro.

Yeah you're right I don't really care about 4k to the rc... I just get nervous when it isn't clear as can be I guess. My whole point is 10 isn't spectacular so I can't really picture worse. Maybe I'm spoiled.
The live view from the Advanced is perfectly fine.
Unless you intend using goggles or a heavy max-sized tablet, you'll never see any difference.
These minor differences get blown way out of proportion in forum debates.
The general user won't note any difference at all.
I've been flying the Advanced since it was released and have never noted anything but crystal clear live view at any range.

For those thinking about buying now.... shhhh but I hear dji China orders do not bill taxes or customs to Canada. Someone I know just got a pro for just shy of 1400 where I paid just over 18 in early January 16.

I use an LTE note 8... that could be causing it?
Anything's possible.
Individual tablets and their configurations cause a lot of issues that people mistakenly blame on the Phantom or the app.
I've used the Nexus 7 and Nvidia Shield and never had anything but perfect live view.

I still like my pro more than the advanced I had. It was a better buy for me and I love that it has more when I thought I had it all with the advanced model. I give both model 5 stars!

Believe part of the issue is exactly this; some are talking about the live video feed to the RC while the discussion is mainly around the actual video being recorded on the SD card (4K vs. 1080P). But still, there are those that still don't seem to see the difference in the sample videos that were nicely provided so they could be better informed. Instead of 4K TVs or monitors, perhaps, these few could just get updated eye-glasses first....I kid I kid....then again, maybe not.

The live view from the Advanced is perfectly fine.
Unless you intend using goggles or a heavy max-sized tablet, you'll never see any difference.
These minor differences get blown way out of proportion in forum debates.
The general user won't note any difference at all.
I've been flying the Advanced since it was released and have never noted anything but crystal clear live view at any range.

Exactly, and most definitely much better in comparison when it's on a 4K display...there's no debate, opinion, perspective; just objectively the fact!

That video above explains this effect quite nicely and I always wondered why for technical reasons 4K looks better than 1080p on a 1080p screen.

Reactions: RayH

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20