P3p not flying level

Reaction score
Ive noticed the odd occasion when my p3p sometime looks like its not flying level. I mean sometimes it looks like one side sits lower than the other. Has anyone else had the same happen to them?

Do you mean through the camera, pictures, or when looking at the quad in the air? Hovering, flying forward, etc.
A few more details will help others help you :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

When looking at the quad in flight. Sometimes it just doesnt look level. Ive noticed a couple of when its flying foward the left hand side seems lower than the right

If there is wind it is normal. If there is no wind, it should be almost flat. Try to recalibrate the IMU, at least check the value of the sensors when the P3 is on a flat leveled surface.
Screenshot_2015-09-19-11-08-47.png

The value for the Gyroscope should be all 0.00 (no rotation)
The values for Acceleration should be 0.00, 0.00, -1.00 and 1.00 (here in my screenshoot it is not as the P3 was not on a flat leveled surface).
For the compass values, it can vary a lot. At least the "Mod" value should be in the range of 1300 - 1450 depending where you are located in the world.
These values are live so you can move you P3 and see the effect on the screen. For the compas, if you rotate the P3 by 90°, the value between X and Y should almost swap (if you have X:70, Y:800, then you can get after rotation by example X:700,Y:120) showing that the compas operate correctly.

If there is wind it is normal. If there is no wind, it should be almost flat. Try to recalibrate the IMU, at least check the value of the sensors when the P3 is on a flat leveled surface.
View attachment 60874
The value for the Gyroscope should be all 0.00 (no rotation)
The values for Acceleration should be 0.00, 0.00, -1.00 and 1.00 (here in my screenshoot it is not as the P3 was not on a flat leveled surface).
For the compass values, it can vary a lot. At least the "Mod" value should be in the range of 1300 - 1450 depending where you are located in the world.
These values are live so you can move you P3 and see the effect on the screen. For the compas, if you rotate the P3 by 90°, the value between X and Y should almost swap (if you have X:70, Y:800, then you can get after rotation by example X:700,Y:120) showing that the compas operate correctly.
If the bird holds the position AND the module compass value looks good (close to 1500) I would not recalibrate anything...

If the bird holds the position AND the module compass value looks good (close to 1500) I would not recalibrate anything...
Yes, I fully agree for the compas. The magnetic field at ground level can be disturbed by a lot of parts and the calibration will be fine on the ground but when it lift up it is away of any of these interference and ... I had bad experience trying to calibrate before every flight. At some place there are just too much steel hidden bellow the surface and it is questionable to start flying or not. If I really want, sometimes a plastic box is needed so it didn't give a compass error. Also at landing, sometimes hand catch avoid the interference if it has to land down to the ground.
For the gyro or the accelerometer, I don't see any counter indication to do it but at the same time, this kind of devices are quite stable over time. Only if temperature change a lot, there could be some difference but as many people seems to recommend to do calibration at very low temperature to speed-up the warm-up time of the P3, temperature should not be really an issue.

Reactions: Andrea
FWIW I have the same problem.
First I noticed the horizon was off. Fixed that by adjusting the gimbal to -1.4. When I brought it in to land I noticed it was "leaning" to one side. It's consistently done this.

This lean makes the yaw more touchy than normal when flying straight. If I fly west with the camera facing north it shakes so much that clip becomes unusable. It flys fine otherwise.

I've recalibrated etc. I crashed into a tree. I assume that did something to cause the lean.

Simple observation test. Fly away from you, note the direction of tilt, the do a 180 turn and fly back, it should be tilting in the same compass direction. If not, you may have a calibration issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl