P3P Motors

Reaction score
Which motors should I use? I understand that it's a function of the Main Board model. Also, what's the best source to buy replacement parts for my P3P?

You can tell from my posts that I am a neophyte. Here is another basic question. My electrical engineer (non-drone) person determined that one of my motors (supports black propeller) is shorted. Now I am ready to order a replacement. I know it is in the 2312A motor family; but do I order the CLOCKWISE (CW) or COUNTERCLOCKWISE (CCW)?

You can tell from my posts that I am a neophyte. Here is another basic question. My electrical engineer (non-drone) person determined that one of my motors (supports black propeller) is shorted. Now I am ready to order a replacement. I know it is in the 2312A motor family; but do I order the CLOCKWISE (CW) or COUNTERCLOCKWISE (CCW)?

The Black dot on top of shaft indicates Clockwise rotation.

What is the reason you feel this needs replacement?

The mention of it being 'shorted' is of some concern.

How did he determine there was a short in the motor? A winding to body short, possibly but not an internal short in one of the windings as the winding resistance is almost 0 ohms. Just curious?

Reactions: N017RW
My choice of using the word "short" may have been in error. He did say "I had a bad motor" as a result of his special meter testing. Basically, he unsoldered the three wires on the suspect motor and put his meter on it to determine it was bad. I'll try to get more specifics when I have a chance to talk to him again.

There is a DJI Drone Repair shop in Orlando (1 hour away) who believes I probably need an ESC/Mainboard based on my phone call to him. He said if it's the ESC, it will cost me about $250.00 to replace the main board. However, there may be additional fees if a motor(s) is needed replacing.

Optionally, the Repair Shop could take my P3P, remove the camera, and put it on one of his refurbished units -- all for $250.00 with a 30 day warranty.

Just replacing one motor at minimum expense makes economic sense than relying on the shop in Orlando. If motor doesn't do it; then I'll take Orlando up on his $250.00 offer to trade up.

Well you said he is an engineer but as @cheddarman said, these motors have very low coil resistances so I find the analysis dubious.

You never said what the problem(s) is that has you suspecting a motor.

One thing to bear in mind is that the motor electronics are a tuned system, everything matched to the other, main board/ESC's/motor for optimum (design) performance. If you change one motor, like for like you should be fine The casing comes apart very easily - There are many videos on the internet showing how to do it, this is just one. Where he uses a knife to pop the casing apart I use the propellers, not so likely to damage the casings. Also note the gimbal lock while working on the casing. ALWAYS lock the gimbal when not actually flying, it is very easily damaged!

My first question to OP ... do the 4 motors spin up together or is there a visible / audible difference to any one or more ?

If there really is a problem ...

There are two important factors in motors like this :

KV rating and Voltage / Amp specs.

As long as the 4 motors are same (taking note that 2 are CW and 2 are CCW) - then you can actually use either of the 2212 series ............ or even 3rd party ....

The daft thing is there is literally no difference in the motors iternally for CW vs CCW .... the factor is that DJI have gone with shafts that need to be CW / CCW respectfully. Check out RC flyers and you find motors run which way it suits the model .... eg - my Lancaster has 4 motors identical ... but two are run opposite rotation to other by just swapping two connections of the three wires of respective motor.

I have to say - that the $250 refurb offer sounds interesting to me ... you could buy a new DJI motor for ~$15 ... not cure problem and end up back at shop ....

Another thing to watch when you change the motors is that you get the direction of rotation correct ie two opposite CW and two opposite CCW. (and of course you have left and right hand threads on the motors). Sounds daft maybe but simply by swapping over any two of the three supply wires to a motor you will change the direction of rotation of that motor!

My advice and opinion is just to install a known working motor of the correct rotation and that is more than likely to solve the issue. Just one bad motor will cause a ESC error.

Another thing to watch when you change the motors is that you get the direction of rotation correct ie two opposite CW and two opposite CCW. (and of course you have left and right hand threads on the motors). Sounds daft maybe but simply by swapping over any two of the three supply wires to a motor you will change the direction of rotation of that motor!

Didn't I say that ?? ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4