P3P freefall into ocean

Reaction score
Lost my P3P last weekend in a freefall from about 200 ft. Saw the whole thing unfold on my tablet as it tumbled towards the ocean. I have no idea what happened as I had been flying without any problems for about 15 minutes and was on my second (fully charged) battery. Any ideas on why this expensive failure occured?

Try uploading your TXT flight log here to see more details about your flight. Post a link back here if you'd like us to comment on it.

Yes. See my link above for instructions to retrieve it.

Attached is output of HealthyDones analysis. Appears compass error did me in. Had now problems during preceeding ~15 min of flight time, although I did not calibrate compass before flying that morning. Your thoughts?

Attachments

• HealthyDrones.pdf
    383.4 KB · Views: 413
Please upload your TXT flight log at my link above. Healthy Drones does not reveal enough information.

It looks like you lost a prop.

@BudWalker, what do you think about this one?

It most often happens when pilots do not check their props for damage and/or ensure they are properly installed prior to each flight.

Reactions: Pharm
Well I performed both of these pre-flight checks before I launched...and had been flying with same set up for about 15 min before crash. I guess I'll never know. Either way it was an expensive failure and I'm now trying to get my wife to agree with the purchase of a new/used/refurbished P3P. Thanks for your insight.

So sorry for the loss of your AC. And having seen so many threads on here beginning "I lost/Crashed/Fell out of the sky....etc." I always check my P3A between flights for cracks, missing bolts and loose props, so it's a "belt 'n' braces" pre-flight routine. Even more galling that you carried-out the same checks.:mad:. Hope SWMBO gives permission for you to purchase a replacement! :D

Reactions: Denby Garick
Definately not disputing your diagnosis, but what do you see that points to this?
The flight log contains the usual errors seen when a prop flies off mid-flight.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Next steps: try to negotiate with DJI for a discounted price and also sell your remote for a good $$. All this will minimize your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It looks like you lost a prop.

@BudWalker, what do you think about this one?
I think you're right. Either a lost/broken prop or a motor failure. Without the .DAT it would be difficult to distinguish between the two. But, almost certainly a propulsion issue. Looks like it happened at time 418 secs.
upload_2016-12-5_10-56-6.png

@rwparkinson I noticed you referenced HealthyDrones indicating a compass error. This always happens with a propulsion issue. When HD sees a rapid heading change it assumes that can't actually be happening and that the compass must be at fault. In fact the heading is changing rapidly because of reduced or no propulsion from one of the prop/motors.

Sorry to hear about your P3P. I know how tough this must be for you as we spend a lot of coin on our birds. You also state how much you have a routine on flight checks, only to find out a prop is most likely the culprit rips your heart out of your chest as your pre flight check should of caught it!

The frustrating thing that we must all understand and take seriously is that although these are in much of a way toys. They are actually unmanned aircraft that defy the laws of physics and fly with some of the latest technology out in the open market. They are a tool with extreme precision and we must respect them and what they can do.

In all my years in the Fire Department and the Military on the flight line. Pilots double triple check their birds religiously before and after every flight for anything that can cause the bird to fall out of the sky. We must all make sure that we look over our birds with extreme scrutiny in hopes that we actually find a problem. At least by doing so will lower the percentage of birds falling out of the sky due to a mechanical failure!

I am curious. Does the event correspond with a sudden change in speed or direction? Would that be a potential cause of an otherwise intact prop coming off?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.