P3P Camera Misalignment

Reaction score
I am new to contributing to this forum but have done a lot of reading. I'm wonder if someone could weigh-in on an issue with camera alignment. I have a Phantom 3 Pro. I had a gimbal top board that was not transmitting video. Other than that, the gimbal movement and positioning responded perfectly. I replaced only the top board. Now the yaw is skewed all the way to the left and the roll has the camera tilted beyond what the RC can correct. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The yaw arm grub screw clamps on a flat machined in the pivot shaft, is this correctly aligned? I would think so but it might be worth checking.
If you literally replaced just the top board I am wondering if the magnetic 'sensor' ring on the pivot shaft is out of alignement with the presumed sensor on the board (see Professional - P3P Camera off center). I'd be somewhat surprised if the ring was not assembled in a specified and standard position at manufacture but....... and I suppose it is possible it could have been displaced during your repair.
However .... are you sure the new board was good?
Did you get just the top board or did you get the board + its housing and the pivot shaft?
Have you tried a gimbal calibration?

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks for your response. The flat side of the shaft and the screw are in the correct position. What I did was move the yaw pivot point off the flat edge of the shaft so the camera points forward. Doing that it works just fine. My concern is that the screw now does not hit the flat side of the shaft. The new board appears to work just fine. I got the the top board, no housing or yaw motor. I'm wondering, as you somewhat mentioned, if there is a factory alignment that goes on with the magnet sensor ring and the top board. Do you know if that sensor ring can be moved?

I am new to contributing to this forum but have done a lot of reading.
I'm wondering, as you somewhat mentioned, if there is a factory alignment that goes on with the magnet sensor ring and the top board. Do you know if that sensor ring can be moved?
Welcome to the forum - at least now as a contributor. :)

As part of your reading, you've probably seen how often this and similar issues have been discussed here on the forum. The forum's search function can help you find specific details, but one common thing which has been stressed is that the magnetic sensor ring is very fragile. As such, it is obviously important to be highly careful and follow the suggestions from people who have done it before. Click here for the first example that came up in a forum search and then search for more info to see if it's something you'd want to attempt. Good luck!

Oso, thank you for your suggestion on the find function. I wasn't aware that "find" was available. Also, thanks for the forum link on the magnetic sensor.

Reactions: RodPad and Oso
With regards to twisting the sensor ring it has just come to mind that an Eclipse tap ( thread cutting toll) wrench might make a good tool for twisting it.
From memory the jaws are concave, there are or were at least 3 sizes

Attachments

• eclipse tap wrench.png
    eclipse tap wrench.png
    77 KB · Views: 211
Not having torn into it too deep at this point, I'm not sure what I am looking at. I do have a tool like that. Whether it's the right size or not, again, after I tear into it I'll find out. You don't happen to have any photos of the motor and the sensor ring do you?

Have a look in the thread I provided the link to, Professional - P3P Camera off center , there are photos in there.
It occurrs to me that if, what I take as, your twisting of the yaw arm relative to the flat in the pivot-shaft/spindle and subsequent tightening of the grub screw is sufficient to give the grub screw a bite on the circumference of the pivot-shaft/spindle then you might be able to Loctite the yaw arm to the pivot-shaft/spindle.
Whether that is well thought of and or a durable 'fix' I have no idea though I think you might be as well to check for wobble in the verticle plain perpendicular to the plain of the flat in the spindle

I pulled the yaw motor off the chassis. It almost like a little wheel puller, like used in clock work might do the trick. Although, the thread that you gave me the link to said the ring is very bridle. I'll do some thinking on it and see what I can come up with. I'll let you know. You have been so helpful! Thanks so much.

I have exactly the same problem, replaced the gimble board and now the camera points left to the leg. Tried to tape it facing forward and gave a message of gimble motor over ride or under stress. Removed the Tape then it was pointing forward again for a while.

I have just taken it for a test flight after the sellotape was removed. The camera is now pointing forward. Seems to have reset itself after being taped

Wow, very interesting. So you taped it so the camera was totally immovable, and flew it, correct? Couldn't you do the same with the gimbal lock? I would be very interested in knowing if it stays pointing forward between power cycles and additional flights..

I taped it last Friday, had to do some areal pictures of ground work done at our local cross country ski tracks. After reading the same problem I had thought to see what would happen if I take it to the air today few days later. Seems back to normal, there was a lot of wind so the picture was moving a little on the screen but at least no more left leg in the centre

I'll have to give taping a try. As I was thinking about it, you probably only taped the yaw axis, not the pitch or roll. The only other question I have is how far to the left was your camera pointing before the taping experiment? Mine points hard against the left stop.

I'll have to give taping a try. As I was thinking about it, you probably only taped the yaw axis, not the pitch or roll. The only other question I have is how far to the left was your camera pointing before the taping experiment? Mine points hard against the left stop.

The camera was pointing left, in level position the left leg in the middle of the picture

Dr. Dan, I gave the yaw axis taping a try. No joy. After I removed the tape and powered up the P3P, the camera went immediately to the left stop. I guess I'm back to trying to move the magnet. I do have a small wheel puller on the way. We'll see how that works. Thanks again.

Dllquad did you take notice of the preperations in the thread Oso provided the link to e.g. acetone before you try to move the sensor ring?
One thing about a puller and the tap wrench I suggested earlier is whether or not their steel? would be detrimental to the magnetism of the sensor ring. This didn't occur to me eariler on, sorry.
Non magnetic tools might be safer.

I am new to contributing to this forum but have done a lot of reading. I'm wonder if someone could weigh-in on an issue with camera alignment. I have a Phantom 3 Pro. I had a gimbal top board that was not transmitting video. Other than that, the gimbal movement and positioning responded perfectly. I replaced only the top board. Now the yaw is skewed all the way to the left and the roll has the camera tilted beyond what the RC can correct. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Hey my man. You seem very knowledgeable about your drone and all. I currently have a p3p as well dealing with the same issue at first thought it was just some hills in the distance making my horizon off center etc.. more flying revealed the same problem. I finally figured out the previous owner wrecked it. Amd bent the yaw arm on the camera them main arm that comes down. No i dont know everything or claim to. But mine is pretty bent amd causing my camera to over compensate especially on left turn etc. But the camera keeps tilting to the left. No matter how many calibrations I do etc.. in not saying you missed your arm being bent. But i think mine may even gotten worse from maybe being shoved in the bag on top of something and hit the camera idk cause i have no visual impact mark anywhere near the camera. Anyway i just ordered one be here tomorrow matter of fact. But just thought it might be an option amd thought id share my story of chasing down a simple problem I thought was more serious. Hopefully just the new arm fixes it and
20190824_151140.jpg
20190824_151103.jpg
its not another problem. Hope you get her fixed. I flew mine for months out of excitment and ignorance before I noticed..heres some pics

Philius, thank you for the reminder about the acetone. I'm sure the puller is steel. I'll just have to give it a try. I'll let you know.

Hi PheonixOne, looks like your arm took a hit. Good luck replacing it. I would be curious to know if that resolves the pointing left problem. I really think that in my case, having replaced just the top board, the yaw motor sensor and the gimbal top board are mated and calibrated at the factory. I did a swap out with another camera and P3P and put every combination together and the results were still the same. Next step is to attempt to move the magnet on the shaft.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic