P3P at night video test

While everyone is on this subject, can someone tell me how the P3 compares to the GoPro Hero 3+ at night. It does seems to be better. The Hero 3+ is truly awful for night use. I use my Phantom 2 for surveillance mostly and would consider a P3 just for a significant increase in night surveillance live video.

While everyone is on this subject, can someone tell me how the P3 compares to the GoPro Hero 3+ at night. It does seems to be better. The Hero 3+ is truly awful for night use. I use my Phantom 2 for surveillance mostly and would consider a P3 just for a significant increase in night surveillance live video.
you can do like these guys:

If nighttime surveillance was the Phantom's main job, I'd get a lens like this. There are others available like http://www.ir-pro.com/choose-a-lens/hybrid-wide-night-ir-lens
Another good reason to have a GoPro on your drone.

But.. Can't you be a fan and not be blind? I know I am. I love my Phantom, but I do know its limitations. A great night video machine it is not. And that is all I've said in my posts, sorry to have touched a sore.

Not a sore just a sweeping statement based on 1 video on this thread which is entitled "P3P at night video test" and not "P3P amazing best ever night video" I have seen enough day time videos that look terrible and I have seen others that look amazing until you have a P3 yourself and have tested it with the settings optimized for what you are shooting or there are a lot more night shoots out there from people who know what they are doing you are not in a position to make an informed judgement.

Reactions: FlyingNinja
still.. any half-decent point-and-shoot camera takes better videos at night than this :SI think P3 owners are still in the honeymoon period :)

Sorry to hear you are so disappointed with the quality. Anyhow, good luck with your point & shoot system.

Not a sore just a sweeping statement based on 1 video on this thread which is entitled "P3P at night video test" and not "P3P amazing best ever night video" I have seen enough day time videos that look terrible and I have seen others that look amazing until you have a P3 yourself and have tested it with the settings optimized for what you are shooting or there are a lot more night shoots out there from people who know what they are doing you are not in a position to make an informed judgement.
So isn't "this is a great night video" an informed judgement too?

I love how anyone who has the temerity to disagree with the macsofts immediately are labeled as "fanboys". Geez, why would anyone want to say anything good about a product they purchased? I think I'd rather be in that camp than the opposite. IMHO anyone who comes here and bashes DJI's products for, faulty wiring, terrible software, lousy video, how dangerous they are to fly above people, and then goes out and buys one and flies it is an absolute idiot.

Would love to see the $1200 setup with the P & S. One little problem with that is the labor charge to set it up with software from scratch and the ITE lites. Sorry pal, not going to happen.

And yes, please close this thread, some people don't know when to quit.

I love how anyone who has the temerity to disagree with the macsofts immediately are labeled as "fanboys".
Well.. nice of you to reverse the situation.
I has the one who disagree with the "this is GREAT video quality" statement and immediately got branded and a traitor and deserved a lynching.
How dare I?! Shame on me...

So I wanted to get a night video and see how it did, here'e the results. It is in 4k and I don't know if me changing the settings before I took off, if that is strictly for the camera or for video as well but I changed the ISO to 1600
Thanks for the "test" video it was useful for me to get an idea of the low light capability of the P3 (I can't seem to find specs that give me that information). It looks like some improvement over what I am using now (P2 with GoPro Hero 3+ Black). If you have used my setup before, I would appreciate your opinion on the difference. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Would make me very nervous flying in such an area. What happens if you have a mechanical/electronic failure? Glad I live in the boonies. I would never fly over a busy road or densely populated area... Least not without a SERIOUS insurance policy and a well proven quad. Cool video none the less. Not trying to be a nervous Nellie here... I understand everyone has different degrees of risk tolerance.
Hahaha I was thinking the same thing. Imagine the lawsuit they'd file if that thing falls and hits a car or worse a driver. How long will it be before we are forced to buy mandatory liability coverage to fly.

Very good, i found the evening footage more colour accurate on 4k footage than the V+, as for the comment on compact cameras being just as good,really do they come with wings?

Reactions: Jeffin916
Very good, i found the evening footage more colour accurate on 4k footage than the V+, as for the comment on compact cameras being just as good,really do they come with wings?
so.. let me guess this right: because this camera comes with wings, it suddenly has GREAT video quality? does the quality of the video changes with the ability to fly or not?

No, it has better quality than the previous Phantom, thats what this whole conversation is about . For the love of God its all about the drones not some what camera crap.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl