P3A replacement after crash

Reaction score
So thank you again for everyone's input on my last thread on crashing into the wind turnbine. So now, Black Friday/Christmas is coming up. There's nothing that I want except for a new drone. Please give me your thoughts. My wife spent about $800 on the P3A back in 2017. I've added all sorts of accessories and a couple of additional batteries. So in total, I'm pretty sure I had about $1000 into it at the time. I don't know if I want to spend that again. Not that it's not worth it, but I don't fly enough. If I did spend that kinda cash, I would be out every weekend. But it also scares me that one accident can wipe out my whole investment.

My options:

1. My boss wants to sell me his P3P. He bought it soon after I bought mine. I gave him a laundry list of things to add. Since he had the cash, he went out and bought everything, including 3 new batteries. That was in 2017. He said he hasn't flown it at all so he hasn't crashed it. He said make him an offer. From reading some posts on here, perhaps $300? Not sure yet.
2 Buy another P3A. They are about $200-$400 used right now. I still have the controller, parabolic antennas, case, and 2 batteries.
3. Go with my dream drone (if I had the cash) of a Mavic 2 Pro
4. Go with a used Mavic
5. Look into the Xiaomi Fimi X8 SE- This is the wild card. They are about $500 brand new and looks like a Mavic 2 clone. Reviews on the camera has been good. But range, stability, and object avoidance were not as stellar. But at $500, it does give me portability, upgraded performance, and 4K

I've also look at the Skydio 2. This thing is super wild. But it's more of a selfie drone, not to be flown far. But the object avoidance is outstanding.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Reactions: dronesky
So thank you again for everyone's input on my last thread on crashing into the wind turnbine. So now, Black Friday/Christmas is coming up. There's nothing that I want except for a new drone. Please give me your thoughts. My wife spent about $800 on the P3A back in 2017. I've added all sorts of accessories and a couple of additional batteries. So in total, I'm pretty sure I had about $1000 into it at the time. I don't know if I want to spend that again. Not that it's not worth it, but I don't fly enough. If I did spend that kinda cash, I would be out every weekend. But it also scares me that one accident can wipe out my whole investment.

My options:

1. My boss wants to sell me his P3P. He bought it soon after I bought mine. I gave him a laundry list of things to add. Since he had the cash, he went out and bought everything, including 3 new batteries. That was in 2017. He said he hasn't flown it at all so he hasn't crashed it. He said make him an offer. From reading some posts on here, perhaps $300? Not sure yet.
2 Buy another P3A. They are about $200-$400 used right now. I still have the controller, parabolic antennas, case, and 2 batteries.
3. Go with my dream drone (if I had the cash) of a Mavic 2 Pro
4. Go with a used Mavic
5. Look into the Xiaomi Fimi X8 SE- This is the wild card. They are about $500 brand new and looks like a Mavic 2 clone. Reviews on the camera has been good. But range, stability, and object avoidance were not as stellar. But at $500, it does give me portability, upgraded performance, and 4K

I've also look at the Skydio 2. This thing is super wild. But it's more of a selfie drone, not to be flown far. But the object avoidance is outstanding.

Either the P3P or Mavic 2P the P3P would be cheaper since you already have batterys that would work with P3P

Reactions: KachemakDiver
1. My boss wants to sell me his P3P. He bought it soon after I bought mine. I gave him a laundry list of things to add. Since he had the cash, he went out and bought everything, including 3 new batteries. That was in 2017. He said he hasn't flown it at all so he hasn't crashed it.

My thoughts on the P3P from your other thread:

Additionally, if I were to start over I would go with the portability of a Mavic.

Reactions: JoBe and RodPad
Can the Mavic handle wind being so light? I'd stick with another P3A - love mine and what more do you want?

From what I've seen on YT videos, the Mavic can handle pretty strong winds. I'm sure the body style is a factor. it's much slimmer and not as 'tall'. I took the P3A to South Dakota this past summer. I saw a great shot opportunity but decided not to launch because wind gusts was near 25mph. It was over the Badlands. An aerial shot would have been epic..

Pro's
1 You know what you are getting with another Phantom
2. You have a number of accessories to add to another P3 series
3. You also have backup gear incase of some other issues
4. You can get another P3 series for under $500 easy or even $400 if you look hard

Con's
1. Its dated
2. if you move up to the MP2, then it will out preform the P3 (Flight times, Camera MP)

I picked this up off Ebay today $400 to replace my damage P3P, the unit was pretty much new as the camera still had the protective flim still on it. The original batteries were dead, but lucky I have extra from my other P3P. The THOR Charger and the heavy duty roll case is almost worth the $400 alone. The guy I got it from is selling everything, so he can move back to Isreal.

Attachments

• Spook 1a.jpg
    Spook 1a.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 182
  • Spook 2a.jpg
    Spook 2a.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 149
  • Spook 3a.jpg
    Spook 3a.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 160
  • Spook 4a.jpg
    Spook 4a.jpg