P3A ... did a dumb-dumb and cannot upgrade RC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I don't get the opportunity to fly much these days, but in preparation to fly for a small work job over the next couple of days, I decided to update the firmware. I didn't think it through, and really should have let well enough alone, as I didn't have any major issues last time I flew (late last summer).

Anyhow, I updated the Go app on my Samsung tablet, no issues. Updated the A/C to 1.11.0020, again no issues. BUT .... as I had not first been at V 1.3.20 in the RC, I cannot yet use the Go app to successfully update. Or rather, I probably could, IF the Go app would recognize that a P3A is attached, which it does not. A re-link doesn't seem to work either, presumably due to the version mis-match between A/C and RC. Likewise, hard-connecting the RC to the drone, with bin file on the SD, doesn't work either, presumably for the same reason.

Anyhow, does anyone know where to find the V 1.3.20 bin? None of the older files seem to be on the DJI downloads page anymore, and I have a flashing paperweight without that.

Thanks

Hmmm, found the achived firmware (THANK YOU!!), but cannot get the RC to try to update.Just have a solid red light, never turns blue. Tried both 1.3.0020 and 1.2.0008 (which is I believe might be the last update I had?), but still the same outcome. Tried via my SD card in a USB reader, as well as the bin file on a thumb drive.

Anyone have any suggestions?

You should be able to fix this problem by downgrading the Phantom firmware to version 1.03.2. You can find some downgrade methods here. Once your Phantom firmware is back on version 1.03.2, you should then be able to upgrade the remote controller firmware from DJI GO.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Copy, I think I misread the downgrade instructions (mention about if having a P3S you need the app and RC on, as that is the beginning of the file structure for the Advanced bin files, it never occurred to me he meant the P3Standard.)
Will attempt this now, and report back.

OK, some progress. The A/C seems to have downgraded to V1.3.2 without much issue. The RC now can connect to the A/C. However, the Go app doesn't seem to want to communicate at all with the RC. It doesn't seem to recognize that a piece of hardware is even plugged in.

I have definitely seen this mentioned in the forums, but not sure what the resolution was.

And nada. No joy. The app absolutely refuses to communicate with the RC or A/C.

This set up worked before, Samsung tablet running Android 6.something. Known good wires. Tried every controller reset (which, I should note, only seems to result in a cyan colored light, but nothing ever seems to happen after that?), re-linked to A/C. Tried turning off all data on tablet, still nothing.

This has got to be something on the app side of things. Has anyone come up with a solution? Short of that, what other apps out there will let me fly my drone and see it's camera view, as that ultimately is what I need here, good, framed photos.

Did you try rolling the DJI GO app back to your previous version? You can download old DJI GO APK files here. Sideload them like this.

I did indeed, using that thread as a guide. Rolled Go back to earliest available, with no change in end result.

I did end up having about 5 minutes of app connectivity. Unfortunately, it caught me by surprise and I didnt think to look up the RC firmware version right away. Connection only lasted a few minutes, then app failed. Upon reload, no RC connection again. Update within app results in app going to latest version.

I'm guessing I have a mismatched firmware problem somewhere. I found a bin file on my computer for the V1.4 firmware, so I may have had it updated to there last time I flew. After work, I will attempt updating AC and RC to 1.4, and see what happens.

OK, after thinking it fully over, the last time I did an update was about a year ago, or maybe more like a year and a half. That update pushed the P3A camera to 2.7k, and also gave me the Go app vs whatever program DJI had before that. Reviewing the release notes, that means I likely had V1.4.0010, and whatever corresponding RC firmware that would be. But, importantly, that RC firmware would have already been associated with the Go app, and presumably, installed via the Go app.

Therefore, the situation is at present: Drone is on V1.3.2. RC is on an unknown firmware version, but must be a Go-installed version. Drone and RC are able to communicate, but Go app and RC are not.

So, should I start by going through every GO app version one at a time, starting back at v2.1.0 for Android, until I find one that seems to play nice with whatever current FW is on the RC? Or take a chance at breaking the current RC/Drone connection by upgrading the drone to V1.4.001?

When you attempt to install the 1.3.2 firmware on your remote controller via a memory card, do you see a TXT log file created in the root of your memory card?

What happens when you power on your remote controller and connect it to your mobile device? Does your mobile device recognize a device has been connected to it? What do you see in DJI GO?

Most of the time, nothing happens in Go. The nexus starts to draw power from the RC when it turns on, but the app itself doesnt seem to recognize when a device is plugged in. This is true in basically every version of Go I've tried, from current version back to V2.1, and on an Androud Nexus 7, a Galaxy S8, and an ipad.

Seemingly at random, the app will do something more. For instance, last night I had Go version 2.6.1 on the Nexus. Tried turning on the RC with C1-C2-Shutter-Right wheel held in. RC powered up with cyan lights, but the app suddenly acted like I just plugged in a new device for the first time. The equipment page refresh, and I had a "Camera view" button to hit under the P3A selection. Going into camera mode gave me a "no signal" across the top, so I couldn't do anything or change anything, but it seemed like a step forward.

Of course, I totally cannot replicate that now, and playing with different versions of Go has brought me back to the home page with no camera view options. So my go app generally just sits there with only "How to connect" buttons and no Camera view when I either plug into a running RC, or turn on a RC already plugged in. Only the charging symbology of the device itself changes to show its drawing a current from the RC.

The nexus starts to draw power from the RC when it turns on, but the app itself doesnt seem to recognize when a device is plugged in
That at least tells you the cable is connected properly. As long as you're not using a charge only cable, I'm assuming the cable is fine too. However, it wouldn't hurt to try a different cable if you have another one handy (just to rule out a potentially dodgy cable).

After connecting your mobile device, did you double-check your USB setting?

Android-USB-Options-DJI-GO-4.jpg

On the Android phone, no problem setting USB option to data. Tried MTD and Midi, no change in connection. With the Nexus, I have to use developers tools to force either MTD or Midi connection, but also has no effect with the app. Tried using both the USB cable I've always used to fly, as well as the short DJI cable that came with the drone, plus a third I had with my other field electronics. With ipad, only tried the one cable as have, and dont know enough about apple products to tinker (plus the ipad is owned by my employer, so I'd prefer not to tinker if possible). All respond identically: tablet/phone/ipad starts drawing power from the RC, but that is (99% of time) the only indication that something has been plugged in.

On the plus side, I managed my flight today without issue. Quite a nervous flight, flying blind over a lock and dam on the Kentucky River in the middle of nowhere. I don't even know what video settings the camera is on, so hopefully I have some useable frames.

So, any advice on how to completely turn off USB charging? Developer tools seems odd to me... in the Go app, if I turn on developer tools, it just takes me to the android settings page, where it seems like I can turn on developer tools to make a change, but then have to turn it off again to return to the Go app? I don't know, it was confusing to me.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl