P3A 10th flight lost all confidence

This happened to me also with my new P3A yesterday. It was my one and only flight with the new DJI GO app but using the older 1.2.8 firmware. I assumed it was because it potentially went behind a rooftop. I walked a few yards until I regained Los and gently flew it back and landed safely but even when it was only 5 feet away, the video never came back in until I landed and restarted the app. In addition, I was recording video at the time and that file was trashed/garbage.

Today I upgraded firmware to 1.3.2 and my short test flight was once again rock solid. For those that lost video, was it in the new app but old firmware?

Someone needs to explain the RF doughnut. Oh, heck, I will.

dipolepattern3.jpg

See this doughnut? It's the signal between your controller and your P3. You and your controller are right smack in the middle of it. Z is where your antennas are pointing. If you exit the doughnut, no sweets for you! So if your antennas are straight up, don't fly straight up.
Great post interesting pic. Funny how everyone is quick to blame Dji and lose all confidence when something doesn't go perfect. That's why this forum is great. If something doesn't go right look into before saying you got a lemon

I think you hit the nail on the head!!! I had the antenna at a slight 'v' shape!
****! I have no idea why I did that. I think it's mixed up YouTube tutorials. Cheers 46rider
Best angle to have them pointed is at a 45 degree angle upwards and then when you get weak transmission put your hands up and point away and walk to a clear line of sight

I'm not sure that I buy the whole"outside the doughnut" explanation on this one. If this was the case, it should start working again once it is back in range. I had an almost identical experience, first no signal and then disconnected... Except mine was about 300 ft away, at a 45 degree angle. I was concerned for a moment, until I realized I still had full control. I flew it back towards me, expecting that it would reconnect - it never did. So I landed, power-cycled, problem solved. Just another bug...

I'm not sure that I buy the whole"outside the doughnut" explanation on this one. If this was the case, it should start working again once it is back in range. I had an almost identical experience, first no signal and then disconnected... Except mine was about 300 ft away, at a 45 degree angle. I was concerned for a moment, until I realized I still had full control. I flew it back towards me, expecting that it would reconnect - it never did. So I landed, power-cycled, problem solved. Just another bug...
There will obviously be obstacles and interferences that effect the signal at times too

I bet you took off and went straight up from your takeoff point 100m (333') and you lost signal on the video because the antennas were pointing vertical, sending the signal out in front of you in a 45º arch, Not straight up to where the bird was. (video needs more bandwidth) This is not a fault of the P3, but more likely the operator, if you are going to fly overhead at altitude you need to change the antenna orientation to accommodate that.

I was about to say just this. I experienced this yesterday and simply adjusting your antennas does worlds of difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31