P3 tail heavy

Reaction score
P3 Pilots,

Does anyone notice the P3 is tail heavy, probably due to the battery design flaw, protruding?. The gimbal and camera are too light to compensate in front of the bird. At take off i don't have problems but on landing, always a tendency to flip backwards. My friend use prop guards but even with it his P3 flips on landing.

Do you guys have any idea how to solve this problem. either adding a counter weight in front or extending/mod the landing skid towards the tail to prevent the bird from flipping?

also during flight the P3 seems nose up?

regards,

3marc

If you land slowly and gently, your Phantom should not tip over. Also, make sure you're holding the left stick down to turn off the motors.

i am landing softly, but the P3 tends to be nose up the moment it touches the ground and me cutting the power. there's a about 2-3 sec before props stops and it is during this time the P3 flips backwards.

I have been flying my F450 for about 3 years now and i never had a flip on landing because the battery weight is almost dead center. unlike the P3.

I don't want to catch the P3 either as i have seen in some youtube videos for safety reason.

Did you turn off VPS? If not, try that.

Thanks, Will try it and test in the next flight.

PS your replies and other comments after this is much appreciated.

regards,

3Marc

I started hand catching it recently and I'm never going back.

I can see how accidents can happen though.

VPS is on.

Will try to catch it for now on landings, until i figure out a mod to counter the tail - CF extension tubes maybe..

i am landing softly, but the P3 tends to be nose up the moment it touches the ground and me cutting the power. there's a about 2-3 sec before props stops and it is during this time the P3 flips backwards.

I have been flying my F450 for about 3 years now and i never had a flip on landing because the battery weight is almost dead center. unlike the P3.

I don't want to catch the P3 either as i have seen in some youtube videos for safety reason.
Are you doing a CSC to kill the motors or just pulling the throttle stick back and holding it?
Don't do a CSC on the ground to kill the engines unless it is an emergency stop.

tried both. same effect once it touches down it flips backwards.
Howdy 3marc - I've experienced what you described twice, then I realized was I was trying to land the P3 like my helicopters sliding the skids the other thing I noticed was my take-off/landing area is normally not level and rocky. Well that doesn't work well with the phantom :)

I don't think the issue is one of balance although I do think the landing gear lacks a bit size/height for my AO.
I purchased a 2'x2' plexiglass from the hardware store and used it for my take-off/landing area - this worked/works great as it helps at least create a semi-level pad to land on. Opposed to one leg landing on a rock and the other on the dirt. I got tired to carrying around the plexiglass and purchased a pair of clip-on leg extensions (see photos) this help greatly as they raise the P3 up and also the stance is wider - all of which help when the take-off landing area is not even ground.

Just a few suggestions.
• Do not try to skid slide a P3 they don't like it. :)
• Make sure you land into the wind.
• Use left stick only to kill motors - return right stick to center as soon as your skids are in contact with the surface.
• VPS - mmmmmmm I don't use it. I can fly indoors without. With it sometimes it seems a bit unpredictable if the surface changes to much, at least to me.

Just a few suggestions - take them for what they are worth, just trying to help out if I can.

Screenshot_12_1_15__1_35_AM 2.jpg
Screenshot_12_1_15__1_35_AM.jpg

Hi TX-Xced

thanks for the input, would you mind sharing where you ordered the clip ons. I think this will also help to protect the camera by raising the clearance by a few centimeters.

TX-Xced

I just watched the video and that is exactly what i am experiencing. Will try to order hope it arrives early or i will have to stick some pvc pipes for the meantime.

Thanks a lot.

No worries - hope they work out for ya. But if you end up attaching PCV pipe please post a photo LOL :)

20151202_192407.jpg

It worked :) no more tip offs..but sad to say it makes the professional look unprofessional lol. anyway the clipon is on the way.

Man you were serious about the PVC :) Guess you haven't received the other legs yet.

just wanted to solve the problem at least i have proven the COG of the phantom or least to say my phantom 3 is not dead center due to the battery design. if it were a CNC cut CF tube it would maintain its professional look :)

There's no problem or design flaw with the Phantom 3. It is perfectly designed. Don't mess with perfection.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31