P3 Standard - "RTH: Backing up to avoid obstacle" in log

Reaction score
I have a P3 Standard. as far as i know it has no obstacle sensors. yet when viewing my flight log while testing the RTH function i get various obstacle messages in the log. this is what i get from the *.txt flight log uploaded to the phantompilots log viewer.

these are in the "Go Home" mode, using gps flight mode

RTH: Backing up to avoid obstacle
RTH: Ascending to avoid obstacle
RTH: Braking to avoid obstacle​

that last one, braking, is 0.3 seconds after activating the RTH function.

i am assuming the firmware for the standard shares a codebase with models that have sensors but i should not see these messages in my standard. should i?

dji go 3.1.11 629_go3_gpPhone (android), latest firmware on p3s as of 09 aug 2017 (date of flight)

EDIT: i wonder if that was me maneuvering the phantom while it was in RTH mode? although i never told it to climb that i know of. and "braking" being 0.3 seconds after RTH initiated.. it was hovering at that time with no hands on the sticks.

hmm.. have to look at some logs where i just let it RTH without me touching the sticks. another excuse to fly today! :)

Last edited:
Phantom 3S RTH messages I have never seen WOW! See the thread I just started! Using 1.08.10 firmware and android 3.1.3 dji go app. I don't update any more. I like how my P3S works! Using the DBS antenna mod on the RC. With no wifi in the area, flat farm land no trees, I can get out 15000 to 16000 feet every flight!

interesting.

later in the week i am going to try to reproduce conditions to trigger this message.

were you sending commands to the bird while it was in RTM mode?

interesting.

later in the week i am going to try to reproduce conditions to trigger this message.

were you sending commands to the bird while it was in RTM mode?
I believe so. Thinking that is what triggers it. Funny how I never noticed it before. Running 1.8.10 firmware and android dji go 3.1.3. Using DBS antenna mod. Think I was out 4 or 5 thousand feet. Also app closed on me. Restarted app and got 2 flight logs. Did you look at them?

I believe so. Thinking that is what triggers it. Funny how I never noticed it before. Running 1.8.10 firmware and android dji go 3.1.3. Using DBS antenna mod. Think I was out 4 or 5 thousand feet. Also app closed on me. Restarted app and got 2 flight logs. Did you look at them?

i havent looked at any other logs yet. i plan on doing a bunch of test flights and on some use RTH with command inputs and others without it.

need to download log and .dat analyzers, preferable off line ones i can run locally on a offline laptop or phone. im starting to collect lots of UAV related things. the amount of telemetry these thing collect is awesome.

new to this hobby, still learning although you never stop learning new things about these things really. very sophisticated rigs, these phantoms.

Share your log :)

Rod

dont really need logs posted at the moment, its not something affecting flight, its just odd entries in the log.

did some more testing of RTH with and without controller input. aside from the 1st "braking to avoid obstacle" which seems to always occurs immediately after initiating RTM (even from hover) the other "avoiding..." messages seem to be based on controller input during RTM mode.

need to make more flights and get the various logs into a spreadsheet so i can view them easier and make notes. need to make it easier to see controller inputs during flights like timestamp inputs along the lines of "20 seconds after RTH initiated increased altitude 20 seconds after that right stick" kind of stuff to separate command inputs from stuff the bird may put in its log on its own.

this is more of a way for me to learn stuff than any real concerns about flying it.

Last edited:
I have a P3 Standard. as far as i know it has no obstacle sensors. yet when viewing my flight log while testing the RTH function i get various obstacle messages in the log. this is what i get from the *.txt flight log uploaded to the phantompilots log viewer.

these are in the "Go Home" mode, using gps flight mode

RTH: Backing up to avoid obstacle
RTH: Ascending to avoid obstacle
RTH: Braking to avoid obstacle​

that last one, braking, is 0.3 seconds after activating the RTH function.

i am assuming the firmware for the standard shares a codebase with models that have sensors but i should not see these messages in my standard. should i?

dji go 3.1.11 629_go3_gpPhone (android), latest firmware on p3s as of 09 aug 2017 (date of flight)

EDIT: i wonder if that was me maneuvering the phantom while it was in RTH mode? although i never told it to climb that i know of. and "braking" being 0.3 seconds after RTH initiated.. it was hovering at that time with no hands on the sticks.

hmm.. have to look at some logs where i just let it RTH without me touching the sticks. another excuse to fly today! :)

Had this happen just yesterday, Lost signal at just 300 feet. Looking at the log I recall being surprised by similar messages. Definitely read "ascending to avoid obstacle" though app did not crash.

I was lower than my RTH altitude setting so it made sense it would ascend.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31