P3 Standard poor range

Reaction score
I've had my P3S for a few months now and right out of the box I updated the firmware. It's advertised to be able to fly about 3000 ft away. I have tried in multiple areas to achieve such a distance but the farthest I've made is about 900 feet before it returns home. I built a windsurfer antenna and got close to 1500, but this is nowhere near the 3000 it should get as is.

Is there something more I can do? Change any settings? Or is this just how it's going to be?

Reactions: Stephenellis2000
Hi mate tell me about it.. Got both me and my son a p3s around Xmas time... Dome all updates etc to both and still only get 200mtr Max range on both... Absolute joke for approx £1000 spent.. Good luck trying to sort this and if you do give us a shout dude as I've tried everything.. Except the power magic hack and that's next on the list... Failing that I'm gonna ditch dji and look elsewhere
Cheers
Steve

Reactions: macoman
Steve... The power Magic mod is amazing... It is working great in my phantom 3 standard with the latest firmware. You should try it. No complaint so far.

If your flying in a neighborhood don't expect to go too far. Too much interference. Out in the country or over water you will get your best range. I've gotten a mile when I had a standard totally stock but that was out in the country away from wifi. You can look at other brands but they aren't gonna be any better. Dji has the best range out of any drone manufacture out there hands down. If you want more range mod your controller or buy one of dji's drones that have lightbridge or the mavic with ocusync. Even with these though if your flying with a lot of wifi interference your not gonna get max range but will be way better then the standard....

Reactions: 805hd
Thanks macoman... Does it increase rc range also.. ? As not only do we loose image transmission signal but also rc signal weak error pops up also... My sons is not as bad as mine... But God its frustrating!!!... I'd never normally hack my drone but magic power may be the last resort I think ...

If your flying in a neighborhood don't expect to go too far. Too much interference. Out in the country or over water you will get your best range. I've gotten a mile when I had a standard totally stock but that was out in the country away from wifi. You can look at other brands but they aren't gonna be any better. Dji has the best range out of any drone manufacture out there hands down. If you want more range mod your controller or buy one of dji's drones that have lightbridge or the mavic with ocusync. Even with these though if your flying with a lot of wifi interference your not gonna get max range but will be way better then the standard....

Thanks for that for info I'm using a windsurfer and in a relatively open area. If I take the windsurfer off I get less range!!! Honestly my £25 syma goes further!!!

Thanks macoman... Does it increase rc range also.. ? As not only do we loose image transmission signal but also rc signal weak error pops up also... My sons is not as bad as mine... But God its frustrating!!!... I'd never normally hack my drone but magic power may be the last resort I think ...
Yes, I am able to go 1500 feet without issues. This mod is really amazing!!!

Yes, I am able to go 1500 feet without issues. This mod is really amazing!!!
Cheers I'll give it a go... It seems this is not an isolated problem and the more I research the more people are coming forward with this issue... Apologies for the spelling etc as I'm on my phone!! (Small screen) lol

I'm in (what I consider) the country: Top of a small mountain on a 95 acre plot. My house is on the edge and the only house on the property and I cant make it to the and of the property.

Steve... The power Magic mod is amazing... It is working great in my phantom 3 standard with the latest firmware. You should try it. No complaint so far.
What is this power magic mod? do you think it will make a difference in my situation? also does it void the warranty?

What is this power magic mod? do you think it will make a difference in my situation? also does it void the warranty?
It is like a script mode that will be install on the controller to increase range... You can uninstall it too... The power Magic mod installer come with the installation and uninstallation.

OK in reply to your questions... It seems that people who have done the mod say it does make a difference... And yes it probably would void your warranty... Google phantom 3 magic power... And click on the web page.. It works by increasing the signal power to and from the rc... But the inventor says it's only for the video signal not the rc signal.. (They are two separate freq's)
Thanks
Steve

From what I read it doesn't "increase" range it only makes the video signal sharper and less lag...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20