P3 Standard - Initial Impression

Hi all, would you consider the phantom 3 standard, a improvement over a phantom 2 vision plus? I have a phantom 2 vision plus that im rebuilding and want to know before just swapping over to a phantom 3..

Some things are a nice improvement, others, well not really....

- CAMERA - The P3 Standard camera is a definite improvement. No more strobe effect when encountering bright objects like the Vision+ and much less grain in photo and video. Also, many many more camera options in the P3 Standard. Although, you do lose the fisheye that was pretty cool on the Vision+.

- CONTROLLER - I kinda liked the V+ with the external range extender because I could turn the range extender to match the angle of the Phantom in the sky to keep signal. Also the build of the V+ controller felt a bit more solid to me (at least the first version of it did... the one with the batteries). Also the V+ controller has an aluminium mount to hold a cellphone vice the all plastic mount on the P3 Standard.

- AIRCRAFT BUILD - To me the V+ feels a bit more solid. The P3 Standard feels like the plastic is a bit thinner and lighter. I would not be surprised if both were in a comparable drop test that the V+ would come out with less damage.

- AIRCRAFT PERFORMANCE - The P3 Standard is much more enhanced. Swift takeoffs (lots of power). It gets satellite lock quicker and is more stable in wind and landings.

- DJI GO software vs DJI VISION software - The DJI GO software is very advanced so it wins. However, Ground Station in the DJI VISION software was a nice touch. You can't do Ground Station in the DJI GO software. DJI GO software has a similar option to Ground Station, but it's not the same. In Ground Station you could set waypoints for many Kms/Miles away and then launch your Phantom and your Phantom would carry on the journey far out of RC Controller range following its programmed route. No such thing in DJI GO... instead you launch your phantom first and then record your waypoints as you fly a route, then you can repeat the route.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: kirk2579
Took the new Standard out early this morning for her maiden flight @ Ft. Armistead Park. Weather was calm with virtually no wind. I have to say the Standard has a unique sound unlike any of my other Phantoms. She is sort of "whiney" & I actually hovered close for a bit & looked her over to make sure everything was right. She achieved satellite lock quickly & performed well flying out to over 5000'. I tested several IOC features, return to home, and finally did an ATTI altitude test. Happy to report at max stick she maintains altitude in ATTI mode! Was fortunate to catch the "Carnival Pride" on her way in to port.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Some really nice shots there. Video looks nice and crisp.

Hi, how it's been with the range?
I'm having trouble reaching over 200 meters which is making me upset once I was expecting something like 1/2 mile, at least.

This was the first time I took her out for an actual flight & I went out to ~5100'. At the time I was recording the ship I would have been ~3500' out. I noticed I began getting control warnings when I was near the ship when the Phantom & ship were aligned with me, no doubt due to the Wi-Fi presence on the ship.

At this same location my stock Vision+ range varies. The island you see out in the channel is Ft. Carroll & it's ~4200' from my launch point @ Ft. Armistead. Sometimes my Vision+ won't quite make it to the island before losing control signal. I can turn around & go right back & pass it by 3000-4000'. Go figure? I need to do a bit more range testing with the P3S but for a first run I am happy. With an non-amplified antenna mod I think this would be pretty sweet.

If you are only getting 200 meters either you have some major interference or something is wrong. Have you opened the controller & checked if the antenna is broken or disconnected?

I'm having trouble reaching over 200 meters which is making me upset once I was expecting something like 1/2 mile, at least.

200 Meters is due to interference. If there are wifi networks near your controller or the Phantom your flight range is reduced. In addition the Phantoms are line of sight devices. This means the controller must be pointed in the direction of the Phantom. If a tree or building is obscuring your visual view of the Phantom you will get signal dropouts.

Huh, you know what? I haven't opened it up to check the antenna. Should've done that already. Will do and tell you.
Thanks

Yeah, I was thinking on that and move to a more free space and got the same result. When I was in the park, I was getting some "high interference message" so I moved to a very clear area. The message was gone, but the range still poor.

In the interest of keeping me Lady happy I decided to surprise her with a Phantom of her very own! Had to re-order the name decals as she didn't like my choice of font.

iPvplJA91fUqkH7FpalShuQYYm_qCe86pUi995PFvZZST5PJGaV6l-W2JNqrucMkUq8txuPzKZGDAOuVTq_BZUkdL_hEeWVGVCY-_5nbmk-Ojv1dFsNWBjT8x1eKEPp8EPFtXq4ODOPJ_uILEgzFAZYZZQ3-Uf7kK_NsK6X4fBSYL7zJZ2cJeQGOlSO1rE8Kai1LjNs9_iYNVyFnvC2J265IIHjhVnR1Uri9Yqd46N4wu3fK_HCRerxVVHV3kdeT4oUV8YVJ4CdXphFvfvmYkTqoP8DwolK7MsWmegRRjW64fnqlc-xq0woddrLt2QRNZa_nB5BY29CduHCyRghv9B5Br6doXNbqqpDD-m7v3ayJkl7bx0J_r6IAETNycoNJKPhLkG5vl0bjG5TmC6VQgJ4YWdxHhPtntHPpFLHw8MP4SuHBByoaS83R1ntkbymI1o88bX8sRZ-tDW2wxOUo2wOZZeihOlSa9pm5BSELb3JMxYNQ45vS1zRRgOStzw7aOCW5cvdheAp9kw6PSNYso6jZd49CXVBr9y3nwzTcUqwcE349rJ40eh5jxH0Q2mnme5xL4A=w358-h636-no

The new font...

a8MZMHiwjn7cF5vNF2-W7WfbtqlXPlkVfIScT3tODt3LY5HTgBaXa74NtkCmb8JgJRQEWqz51Ty2TzaBsI1X2nMmEHI7skwg12KC216YlXeWBCcPv5SqqYOlJayPM5EZVNJcTvWfqZqn1W6N6vjsQG_oiPIlmaLqQhgbp5dG53_sBVaSR1EU7CQOa8ZhLiLHPscdULwu_tc8hAXebjl6yyEz70Fn_RtYfXcEs1ZaF51A9peGfTlO5bhlBBzkP7wqbpeW3_LLOLrOJc9wkuqxxoGzcELu8cyneQA1Ci_Kh1uc1VgRKxRX0DVx5p51TOMxSL2wdv9et9jvKu54wdA-mQBzJidVOUi7DIrahQjI3pWsf51bmVN4d2JF-WFYd4bkRKhaAQMN-VsYVojQyhoP9Vq0VkvmgoMj-hDjue-NY9CS6OKMPi74e27ZfOJpg7M7M1mQ7BznjpHIc9Mvmk_ayoyJz8UfPxXqqUn_hkbG8V7J4soDe1xCi_FbZhhnFEaqhI3T_HNwSL9HtTzzoDobJe0N-A-TMqQ2K_oHekzeleVCafHqYArfRNBENEneVtW0M2k4wA=w425-h98-no

Yeah, I was thinking on that and move to a more free space and got the same result. When I was in the park, I was getting some "high interference message" so I moved to a very clear area. The message was gone, but the range still poor.

Do not point your antenna at the Copter, this is actual the lowest signal strength. The signal comes out of the length of the antenna, not the tip. Receiving also happens along the length of the antenna. For best signal strength the antenna should always be aligned with the vertical legs of the copter. If the copter is straight overhead then lay the antenna flat. Pointing the antenna at the copter will reduce your distance by a large percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Love the stickers on the remotes and the birds. Where did you get them? I want some. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The controller decals are from here. This is actually the set for the Vision+ & comes in about a dozen colors:

http://www.uavstickers.com/products-dji-phantom2.php

The lettering comes from here. Most cost effective is 3M Premium decals with white background. You can get slick with individual letters with no background but they are a lot pricier. If you get the background type choose white as the reflective type is more silvery & you will show up plainly against the Phantom's white shell.

Vinyl Lettering | Custom Vinyl Lettering

Love the stickers on the remotes and the birds. Where did you get them? I want some. [emoji1]

Thanks! I had looked at auvstickers.com but only under phantom 3. Never would have found the lettering. Thanks again, very cool.

On the controller decal set you'll want the v2 version as it has the battery gauge cut out. Even though the v2 only lists limited colors just ask and they can print you one in any of the v1 colors.

The controller decals are from here. This is actually the set for the Vision+ & comes in about a dozen colors:

http://www.uavstickers.com/products-dji-phantom2.php

The lettering comes from here. Most cost effective is 3M Premium decals with white background. You can get slick with individual letters with no background but they are a lot pricier. If you get the background type choose white as the reflective type is more silvery & you will show up plainly against the Phantom's white shell.

Vinyl Lettering | Custom Vinyl Lettering

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.