P3 safe to fly?

Reaction score
Starting to see multiple reports of P3 fly aways. They largely seem to be compass errors. Is the P3 safe to fly? Could the last firmware update be bad? Wasn't this the same problem with the P2s for awhile?

I know now you can probably track the P3 pretty easily and I even have a tracker on mine but it would be nice to know if you did all the calibrations and kept everything up to date that you can trust it to do what you want. I came from a FC40 so I'm used to doing line of sight but I bought the P3 to go further and do more with it.

Just wondering.

I think we're talking about an extremely small percentage of Phantom owners. Do we know if they all calibrated the compass before takeoff? Was there interference in the flying area? Etc.

My Phantom is flying great on the latest firmware. I'm of course following everything in the manual to a T though.

Reactions: Furia
Starting to see multiple reports of P3 fly aways. They largely seem to be compass errors. Is the P3 safe to fly? Could the last firmware update be bad? Wasn't this the same problem with the P2s for awhile?

I know now you can probably track the P3 pretty easily and I even have a tracker on mine but it would be nice to know if you did all the calibrations and kept everything up to date that you can trust it to do what you want. I came from a FC40 so I'm used to doing line of sight but I bought the P3 to go further and do more with it.

Just wondering.

No just return it and stay indoors

No issues other than a single data anomaly in one of my flight records.

My compass did report it was "Abnormal" yesterday and said to re-calibrate. I imagine thats pretty standard for that to happen occasionally though.

I had a HUGE problem with mine. OK, so the problem was me, whilst in line of sight and an apparent dislike of a tree, but still! :)

Things can and will go wrong with quads. I agree some of the posts make me nervous, but then I see more lovely videos posted than crashes.

You do, unfortunately, roll the dice every time you fly one of these. The 100s of things that make them ridiculously easy to fly also make for things that can go wrong, and if they do there's no 'full manual' to recover, but every time I fly I figure the law of averages says it's more likely to go right than wrong.

If its prevalent in more than 10% of users. DJI will fix it for the sake of their own pocketbooks as they have to send replacements or work on fixing it. if its less than 10% ocassionally then that is usually below the product failure point whereby DJI will have this as one of their bugfixes.

As there are more and more Phantom buyers, there will be a higher number of issues, not a higher percentage of users with issues. Quadcopters are in early phases of its tech so expect more issues not less.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj