P3 Motor Spacers for a higher sitting motor

Reaction score
Hello, I was pondering after watching a video for the P4. Could we put lets say 1/2 to 3/4 solid spacers under our motors to raise them up out of the body? Get them out of the shot? What effects would it have or could it be done? Thanks in advance

It would probably be easier to install spacers between the landing gear and body.

Last edited:
Silly.... just adjust the gimbal and limit the amount travel.

I wouldn't mess with the motors inside the shells. It's designed so the motors sit at very specific position, angles and all. I tried to mold a CF lower shell for the P3 a while ago and quit the project due to the difficulty of emulating this very precise spec. It's not impossible, but really really hard to put the motors in that same position working on those tight tolerances and spaces. Not to mention the possibility of changing the leverage/torque imposed by the motors on the shell parts by just raising it out of the shell bed. Even if you use same size spacers, it could cause problems.

Spacers below the motor seating will result into increased torsional forces. To better understand it, let's use 6" spacers, three brow each motor. When motor speeds up or brakes, there will be a huge torsional moment on these studs and will try to break the thin plastic below it. A better mechanical solution will be to use an aluminum plate of desired thickness. That would result into increasing the weight unnecessarily. Even current design has little raised plastic pieces which create unwanted torsional stresses.

The best scenario is to tun gimbal down to say 45 deg you will never see props in shots then.

Yea I agree lowering the landing gear wouldn't help with the picture issue

But if you lowered the landing gear you could lower the Gimbal. Unless you would not mind the camera below the landing gear. If you lower the gimbal enough you wont see the props.

But if you lowered the landing gear you could lower the Gimbal. Unless you would not mind the camera below the landing gear. If you lower the gimbal enough you wont see the props.
I understand if you did both. If you drop the gimble then you must drop the landing gear in proportion.

Lowering gimbal and extending landing gear is ok but in the process are we increasing the chances of it tipping over during taking off?

Wouldn't you be lowering the CG? if so it seems like it would be more stable?

Probably not, because the motors and battery + the inner circuits carry more weight and mass than landing gear + gimbal, and those would be higher with a taller landing gear.

IMHO any method of increasing only the landing gear won´t prevent the props from showing on screen, unless you lower the gimbal as well - because that means increasing the distance from the props.

Probably not, because the motors and battery + the inner circuits carry more weight and mass than landing gear + gimbal, and those would be higher with a taller landing gear.

IMHO any method of increasing only the landing gear won´t prevent the props from showing on screen, unless you lower the gimbal as well - because that means increasing the distance from the props.

Just think about what you are saying. All of the lift is created at the very top. So the drones pivot point or axis at which it pivots on is up high as well. If you move weight i.e. the gimbal and landing gear farther down away from that point. That will want to keep that pivot point in a move vertical position. So it should create a more stable drone while hovering.

What it could cause is move wind drag while moving about. More wind drag could have an ill effect on it.

While hovering, maybe yes. But when it´s touching the ground during takeoff or landing, the pivot is at the touching point, thus increasing the possibility of tipping-over if the mass is higher up, which it is if you increase the landing gear (I thought that was the original point anyway, sorry if I´m mistaken or confusing things). Lowering the CG makes sense if we´re on the ground.

While hovering, maybe yes. But when it´s touching the ground during takeoff or landing, the pivot is at the touching point, thus increasing the possibility of tipping-over if the mass is higher up, which it is if you increase the landing gear (I thought that was the original point anyway, sorry if I´m mistaken or confusing things). Lowering the CG makes sense if we´re on the ground.

you are correct, during landing you would have a greater chance of tipping over if you lower the landing gear. My thoughts were pertaining to flight only. So if you did this, I guess a person should practise catching their drone rather than landing it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik