P3 lost in Charles River

You know, looking at that video, he was flying hard left and maybe back at the same time and possibly trying to turn. So...
Phantom_2_Staring_the_Motors.jpg

I'm thinking that he might have accidentally executed a CSC (complex stick command) and shut the engines off without knowing it.

You know, looking at that video, he was flying hard left and maybe back at the same time and possibly trying to turn. So...View attachment 18490

I'm thinking that he might have accidentally executed a CSC (complex stick command) and shut the engines off without knowing it.

Is it really possible to shut off the motors mid-flight like that? I guess it would be a somewhat complex and odd maneuver to make, but wouldn't it make sense for the software to somehow prevent accidental shut-off, or even utilize switches or buttons that are separate from the flight controls?

Yes, CSC is possible in flight. It's there as an emergency stop method.
No, you are more than unlikely to accidentally do a CSC while flying.
What kind of manoeuvre do you think you'd be trying to make that you'd accidentally use the sticks to make your Phantom go full speed backwards-sideways at the same time it is going full descent-rotating anticlockwise?

What kind of manoeuvre do you think you'd be trying to make that you'd accidentally use the sticks to make your Phantom go full speed backwards-sideways at the same time it is going full descent-rotating anticlockwise?

A high speed descent with yaw in a spiral motion to film a squirrel dashing down a very wide spiral staircase from the inside? Lol yeah I understand it would be very unlikely. But still the fact that it's possible to do with the same controls that you are actively engaging with for flight is just a little strange to me.

What if cars had engine shut-off functions using unlikely but possible accel, brake, and steering sequences? Better to leave the ignition on a dedicated switch or button that you aren't touching while driving.

By the way, I've never flown a drone before so I'm totally just speculating and imagining here. I understand that in real-world use it is highly unlikely to happen.

People are unreal. Three crashes out of 30000+ units and you start talking about grounding your phantom. I would find a different hobby my friends. That would be a .01% chance that you had a defective bird. Go fly, be careful, have some fun and if something happens, they have logs now.

Reactions: Skyy and dalebb
That's kind of scary. I could totally see this happening during a fast landing from 2 o'clock while descending and turning around to line up with the landing spot. I mean, it wouldn't be a gentle, clean approach but it could happen...

That's kind of scary. I could totally see this happening during a fast landing from 2 o'clock while descending and turning around to line up with the landing spot. I mean, it wouldn't be a gentle, clean approach but it could happen...
You also have to hold both stick down and toward the center for at least 3 seconds before it shut down the motors. If either stick moves away from that position for an instant it starts the 3 second countdown again. In normal flying you would be moving at least one of the controls more often than that.

And if you open up your P3 you also void your warranty.
Thats not True at all. Just opening up any of the phanoms will not void any warranty inless you actully do some thing that causes damage then the warranty is out the window. BUT this is dji we are talking about here any way so its not like some one would be loseing much even if they did do some thing to void there not all that much of a warranty any way.

Absolutely absurd advice and suggestions. Out of tens of thousands of P2V+ V3 and P3 quads flown, there have been a handful of problems and complaints. So you suggest all owners should rip out the existing wires to the esc or power and replace them, creating MORE solder joints and a greater chance of failure.

Wait, don't tell me, you will gladly "upgrade" anyone's wiring for a price, right?

Well what you seem to be sujesting is compeleatly absurd
and I cant even fathom were you are getting any such ideal that i even in any way shape or form suggested any one go pulling out any wires or replace any thing whats so ever or any of that non sense you are trying to imagine any one saying. and If you think re flowing solder joints that are crappy would involve adding new wires then> i would suggest you dont even dare try fixing any thing ever being you probaby would not know a wire from a circuit board.

Why the heck would any one even think about replacing wires as a way to solve the very wide spread and known problem with most any thing thats soldered in china? oh wait you would not know a good solder joint from a cold solder joint if it hit you on the head. So im sure then you would not know how common it is to have solder joints that are just barely attached on most of the wires in all the phantoms as well as most mass produced stuff out of china thats not only hand soldered but also done with lead free solder.

Wait, don't tell me, you will gladly "upgrade" anyone's wiring for a price, right?

Hum again i dont know were you are pulling this non sence stuff out of your realend from.(oh wait I just answered where you are pulling it from lol ) BUT can you or any one recall me ever offering any services to any one for a price for any thing here ??? ya I didn't think so. Tho maybe it might be a good idea to offer some services to people like your self that dont know any thing about these contraptions and probably have more money then you have sense.

You also have to hold both stick down and toward the center for at least 3 seconds before it shut down the motors. If either stick moves away from that position for an instant it starts the 3 second countdown again.
It's not much of an emergency stop if it takes 3 seconds.
Try it on the ground - it's instant.
It's also instant if you do it in flight but I don't recommend trying it.

The 3 seconds thing is the normal shutdown move after landing where you hold the left stick down for 3 secs after landing.

It's not much of an emergency stop if it takes 3 seconds.
Try it on the ground - it's instant.
It's also instant if you do it in flight but I don't recommend trying it.

The 3 seconds thing is the normal shutdown move after landing where you hold the left stick down for 3 secs after landing.

Very good point about the constant moving.

I'm still thinking that in this case it cant be some accidental CSC move. Being that would shut the motors of but not turn power off to the whole bird and it should not of caused the video to drop out and lose connection to the app and the controller. It would seem if it was from a csc then it would just shut off the motors and then been seen plummeting to the water below on this screen.

No way he was flying hard enough to CSC. CSC is four stick movements fully deflected at once. Pretty extreme. Nothing in the video indicates anything wrong. Odd. Hopefully the telemetry is detailed enough to make a diagnosis.

I've been lurking. I'm a new phantom 3 owner. I personally witnessed friend 1's V2+ crash into some sand on the beach from around 80m up when he let friend 2 pilot it. Friend 2 was not paying attention to friend 1 when he explained of all things what not to do (CSC) when piloting. Friend 2 proceeded to go crazy on both sticks and ended up executing the command. Luckily all it needed was a new cable for the gimbal and a good thorough cleaning.

I'm not saying OP was doing this, but you guys made me think. Today I was trying to execute a pretty complex shot (for me) where I was descending while adjusting pitch and yaw and tilting the gimbal. I realized after reading this post that if I had held the right stick down any further I would have thoughtlessly executed the CSC...I'll be sure to keep that in mind now. I was flying over a though, not a river thankfully.

Reactions: imwhitey
I've been lurking. I'm a new phantom 3 owner. I personally witnessed friend 1's V2+ crash into some sand on the beach from around 80m up when he let friend 2 pilot it. Friend 2 was not paying attention to friend 1 when he explained of all things what not to do (CSC) when piloting. Friend 2 proceeded to go crazy on both sticks and ended up executing the command. Luckily all it needed was a new cable for the gimbal and a good thorough cleaning.

I'm not saying OP was doing this, but you guys made me think. Today I was trying to execute a pretty complex shot (for me) where I was descending while adjusting pitch and yaw and tilting the gimbal. I realized after reading this post that if I had held the right stick down any further I would have thoughtlessly executed the CSC...I'll be sure to keep that in mind now. I was flying over a though, not a river thankfully.

Exactly why I think that this CSC thing should be dedicated to a button or switch that isn't used for actual flying and maneuvering.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl