P3 Flying characteristics vs P2

I've had my P3P a little over a week now, and am impressed with the stability, speed and image quality (both video and photo). But I still plan on keeping my P2 with GoPro Hero4 Black. If I need a wide shot, I can do it with the GoPro. I also can shoot 2.7k video with the GoPro at 60fps, which isn't an option with the P3P. So, basically, I like having shooting options - as well as a back-up bird.

That is one of the things i have been wondering about, what benefits the gopro 4 Black has over the P3P camera?
What about the quality of the actual camera optics between the P3P camera and the gopro 4 Black?
Lets say you record a video with both of these cameras at the same resolution and FPS and so on, which one is going to give a better looking video recording, or is the difference so small that its not noticeable?

Another thing I'm curious about is that people say that there is also benefits on the P3 over the Inspire 1, what are these benefits more than a longer flight time, and of course half of the price?

I'm really torn on the GoPro 4 Black versus P3P myself, as I currently fly the 4 Black on my P2, so that is the only factor that interests me at present, because I use after market Limefuel 6000mAh batteries so already get longer flight times, almost too long sometimes, and any extra speed, power, or agility aren't needed for my purposes, just the image quality, and especially the image field of view. Those really are important to me, as I shoot landscape photography, so the wider image on the GP4B even after lens correction to remove distortion, is really significant for me. A smaller field of view and then having to stitch photos together later is all that has held me back so far. It would need extra stability for me to be able to pan the scene and then stitch them later.
I guess I'm just lucky that I'm too broke until Tax Return time to really get any more serious about upgrading, so have more time to keep comparing image quality from other people's shots.
I might have to stick with my plan of waiting to see what the Inspire 2 will be like when/if they release one. I'll be surprised if they don't.

I'm really torn on the GoPro 4 Black versus P3P myself, as I currently fly the 4 Black on my P2, so that is the only factor that interests me at present, because I use after market Limefuel 6000mAh batteries so already get longer flight times, almost too long sometimes, and any extra speed, power, or agility aren't needed for my purposes, just the image quality, and especially the image field of view. Those really are important to me, as I shoot landscape photography, so the wider image on the GP4B even after lens correction to remove distortion, is really significant for me. A smaller field of view and then having to stitch photos together later is all that has held me back so far. It would need extra stability for me to be able to pan the scene and then stitch them later.
I guess I'm just lucky that I'm too broke until Tax Return time to really get any more serious about upgrading, so have more time to keep comparing image quality from other people's shots.
I might have to stick with my plan of waiting to see what the Inspire 2 will be like when/if they release one. I'll be surprised if they don't.

Yes it seems the P3 has 94 degrees FOW while the GoPro Hero 4 Black has 170 degrees FOW, so its a pretty big difference in that case.

Another thing i just read was that the P3 remote only uses 40mW if its a European CE version while the Inspire uses 100mW.
Is this not adjustable like it was in the P2 remote controller if i remember it correct?
I would absolutely want to get the maximum range from the P3 just as the FCC versions in the US.

Last edited:
So is there a big difference in the image field of view between those two cameras?

Another thing i just read was that the P3 remote only uses 40mW if its a European CE version while the Inspire uses 100mW.
Is this not adjustable like it was in the P2 remote controller if i remember it correct?
I would absolutely want to get the maximum range from the P3 just as the FCC versions in the US.

I don't know for sure, as I haven't yet taken the plunge and ordered a P3. I am reluctant to give up my wide field of view just yet. All I know is that it is wider than either of the P3's. I lose some of that from all 4 sides when I do the lens correction, and it would be interesting to see how the final result compares. Obviously stitching multiple shots together will be a better result as far as image quality goes, but I can also lower the field of view on the GP4B and do the same thing.
I'll be keeping an eye out for some genuinely fair comparison pics of the images, but so far I've not seen anything where the exact same scene has been captured by both and compared.

I guess the numbers for whatever it transmits at, aren't really significant provided it's getting the range and penetration you need, then the only number that matters is how far you can go. If the stories of 3miles are true, and I see no reason to doubt them, then that's way more than I need regardless of the wattage it transmits at. It's just a number really.
I've only ever taken my P2 out to just over 1 mile. So haven't even broken the 2km mark yet (1703m is my current record), and that was with an ImmersionRC 600mw transmitter. It would have gone further I'm sure, but I always seem to chicken out and come back once it's that far away. I start thinking how long it would take me to get over there to it if something went wrong, and the chance it wouldn't have been grabbed and run off with in that time.

Don't worry about it.
There are plenty of European users reporting 4 kilometres and more range.
You will get more control range than you have battery capacity with the P3 - European or not.

A smaller field of view and then having to stitch photos together later is all that has held me back so far. It would need extra stability for me to be able to pan the scene and then stitch them later.
The P3 lens is the equivalent of a 20mm in 35mm photography so it's a very wideangle lens to start with.
Here's a 13 image panorama - plenty of stability in the P3 to do this plus it manages low-light easily plus the controller shutter release makes this sort of thing so easy.
Add that to the fabulous ability to control the P3 with full live video at distance and it's magic.
DJI_0581-618_stitch-XL.jpg

.. or go here to see it full screen http://abovephotos.smugmug.com/AP/Land/i-LvDNJxj/A

Firstly, wow, awesome shot.
Secondly, thanks for that, all actual shots help a lot.
Now if only someone had done the same shot with a GoPro so I could compare them - I guess I'll have to bring my P2 with GoPro on a holiday to your neck of the woods and fly along side you :)
There's a low light setting on the GoPro, but I've never used it because we aren't allowed to fly at night here, so I tend not to. Not that I haven't stretched all the other rules at some stage, but I just haven't stretched that one yet ;)

That is one of the things i have been wondering about, what benefits the gopro 4 Black has over the P3P camera?
What about the quality of the actual camera optics between the P3P camera and the gopro 4 Black?
Lets say you record a video with both of these cameras at the same resolution and FPS and so on, which one is going to give a better looking video recording, or is the difference so small that its not noticeable?

Another thing I'm curious about is that people say that there is also benefits on the P3 over the Inspire 1, what are these benefits more than a longer flight time, and of course half of the price?

From the few flights I've made with the P3P, I'd say the photos and video are about equal to the GoPro Hero4 Black. The field-of-view, of course, is very different. The color might be a little cooler on the P3P. But I typically do a little color correction, regardless.

One difference between the P2/GoPro Hero4 Black w/FPV and P3P is how they handle heat. I also fly a P2V+ on occasion for work. With both the P3P and P2V+, I've had my iPhone or iPod Touch shut down due to overheating. I live in south Louisiana, so it's humid and hot several months out of the year. When this happened, I was in direct sunlight - no shade was available. When I fly my P2/GoPro Hero4 Black w/FPV, I've got a ground station set up on a tripod, and most of the time it also is in direct sunlight. I've never had it shut down on me due to overheating.

So, depending on your climate, this might be a factor for you.

I had a P2 Vision+ and now have the P3P and Inspire1. IMO, big difference between the P2's and P3's. Not only do they fly better, but App is so much better as is the camera. I'm not a huge fan of the GoPro... I just find DJI's cameras a step up. When you correct the distortion on GoPro's footage in post, it's pushing pixels around and coming from the photography world, I see the difference. I'm finding DJI's built in cameras to have really good performance for what they are. I can't wait to see the next generation of their cameras and DJI's enhanced features in the future. It just keeps getting better and better but of course, that isn't to say they don't have room for improvement.

The P3 lens is the equivalent of a 20mm in 35mm photography so it's a very wideangle lens to start with.
Here's a 13 image panorama - plenty of stability in the P3 to do this plus it manages low-light easily plus the controller shutter release makes this sort of thing so easy.
Add that to the fabulous ability to control the P3 with full live video at distance and it's magic.
DJI_0581-618_stitch-XL.jpg

.. or go here to see it full screen http://abovephotos.smugmug.com/AP/Land/i-LvDNJxj/A

Stunning. What manual settings you using Meta? 200 iso with 3"??

Coming from 4 variants of phantoms - P2VPlus / P2 H33D Gopro3+ / P2Vplus Hybrid with H33D Gopro3+ / P3 advance; I can tell you that the P3's 720 live feed has been the standout for me. What used to happen with my previous Phantom setups was the live feed clarity was bad and you don't notice the issues until you return home and edit. And with limited battery, you want to get the shot right first time every time. With the P3, reshoots are less and camera settings are semi spot on as the 720 closely reflects what you will be working with.

What's frustrating is that the GoPro Hero 4 uses the exact same camera chip, the Ambarella A9 (http://www.diyphotography.net/gopro-4-specs-leaked-soc-maker/) so the only thing between the P3 and the same capabilities (2.7k video, 1080p120, 720p240) is the people writing the P3 camera firmware...

Be great if DJI would just write a check to Ambarella to clean up the firmware and really unlock what the chip and camera are capable of.

What's frustrating is that the GoPro Hero 4 uses the exact same camera chip, the Ambarella A9 (http://www.diyphotography.net/gopro-4-specs-leaked-soc-maker/) so the only thing between the P3 and the same capabilities (2.7k video, 1080p120, 720p240) is the people writing the P3 camera firmware...

Be great if DJI would just write a check to Ambarella to clean up the firmware and really unlock what the chip and camera are capable of.

So you say the Gopro Hero 4 Black and the P3P uses the same exact camera chip but that the full potential of the P3P camera is not utilized?
So in reality the P3 camera could have the same exact specs as the Gopro Hero 4 Black?

So you say the Gopro Hero 4 Black and the P3P uses the same exact camera chip but that the full potential of the P3P camera is not utilized?
So in reality the P3 camera could have the same exact specs as the Gopro Hero 4 Black?

The camera SOC (system on a chip) in the P3P and the GoPro Hero 4 is the Ambarella A9. I don't know what camera sensor chip the GoPro uses. The SOC is really the heart of the camera, so on paper at least, the P3P should be capable of everything the GoPro 4 is. GoPro uses Ambarella exclusively, so they have a strong incentive to really maximize the firmware and performance. It's unknown how much Ambarella works with DJI to optimize their firmware.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4