P3 Distance Limits ( long high flights only in ATTI)

Reaction score
After reading the Manuel i am a little concerned about what i read into meaning there will be a distance limit on how far you can fly in GPS mode and not just height, but it does not state what the height and distance limit is in GPS mode. It states 500mtrs height limit in ATTI mode and no distance limit. Meaning long high flights will need to be done in ATTI mode. Anybody else read into this different. cheers

Page 40 Manuel

When operating in P-mode, height limits, distance limits, and No-Fly Zones function concurrently to manage flight safety. In A-mode, only height limits are in effect, which by default prevent the aircraft altitude from exceeding 1640 feet (500 m) .

Very Very interested into seeing what the max height and distance limit is going to be in GPS mode when people start getting there Apps. Please someone post this when they get the proper app, maybe someone with android has i don't know. (please note i know the hight limit is 500mtrs in ATTI), its the 2 limits in GPS that have alarmed me as i don't want to have to do long flights in ATTI only. cheers

After reading the Manuel i am a little concerned about what i read into meaning there will be a distance limit on how far you can fly in GPS mode and not just height, but it does not state what the height and distance limit is in GPS mode. It states 500mtrs height limit in ATTI mode and no distance limit. Meaning long high flights will need to be done in ATTI mode. Anybody else read into this different. cheers

Page 40 Manuel

When operating in P-mode, height limits, distance limits, and No-Fly Zones function concurrently to manage flight safety. In A-mode, only height limits are in effect, which by default prevent the aircraft altitude from exceeding 1640 feet (500 m) .

Very Very interested into seeing what the max height and distance limit is going to be in GPS mode when people start getting there Apps. Please someone post this when they get the proper app, maybe someone with android has i don't know. (please note i know the hight limit is 500mtrs in ATTI), its the 2 limits in GPS that have alarmed me as i don't want to have to do long flights in ATTI only. cheers
Same as the P2V, the distances are user defined in the app so that you can set the limits to what you are comfortable with and not have to worry about checking telemetry every few seconds. In ATTI the GPS is essentially turned off so it wouldn't know it's distance from home (but would know it's height using it's barometer), thus the no distance limit. Don't worry, it'll go far enough ;)
Page 40:
Maximum flight altitude & Radius Limits
Maximum flight altitude and radius limits may be changed in the DJI Pilot app. Be aware that the
maximum flight altitude cannot exceed 1640 feet (500 meters). In accordance with these settings, yourPhantom 3 Advanced will fly in a restricted cylinder

The height limit is 500 metres .. whether you are in atti or GPS
The distance limits are configurable limits you can set if you choose to.
Otherwise the distance limit is as far as your Tx and battery will take you.

Sure it's just a matter of weeks before someone removes that in a new APP

Reactions: dirkclod
A company here recently photographed our huge annual Fireworks display.
They were given permission to fly at night, and to 1500 feet, by CASA, both of which are normally forbidden by the rules.
However, That was ample to get them up above the fireworks, and 500m is higher again than what they were given authority to go to, so really should be more than enough.
So I'm really not too sure why everyone keeps baulking at the restriction.

I do partly understand it, from the perspective that I also find restrictions frustrating as well, and it's part of why I won't be buying the P3 but will instead buy either an I1 or wait till an I2 comes out, as they're both professional level craft that at the moment don't have restrictions that I know of, but even with my own distaste for having restrictions imposed on me by others, the fact is that there really shouldn't be much need to go higher than that. Especially with how slow the stupid descent speed on these things is, it's going to take more than 4 or 5 minutes to come back down. About 1/3rd of the total flight time you get out of a battery just to come back down doesn't appeal to me at all. So whilst it's frustrating to be forced to that limit, in reality there's not much need to go higher than it. In Australia you'd have to have special dispensation from CASA to go anywhere near it anyway.

As for the question about GPS, from what I've read, the distance limit is able to be changed by the user, and still allows GPS, it's only the height that can't go beyond the 500m and that's in both GPS and in ATTI.

Reactions: AshP3A
The height limit is 500 metres .. whether you are in atti or GPS
The distance limits are configurable limits you can set if you choose to.
Otherwise the distance limit is as far as your Tx and battery will take you.

So its still 500mtrs in GPS, and if you dont set a limit for distance then you can go as far as the TX allows, is that correct.

They were given permission to fly at night, and to 1500 feet, by CASA, both of which are normally forbidden by the rules.
However, That was ample to get them up above the fireworks, and 500m is higher again than what they were given authority to go to, so really should be more than enough.

I do partly understand it, from the perspective that I also find restrictions frustrating as well, and it's part of why I won't be buying the P3 but will instead buy either an I1 or wait till an I2 comes out, as they're both professional level craft that at the moment don't have restrictions that I know of, but even with my own distaste for having restrictions imposed on me by others, the fact is that there really shouldn't be much need to go higher than that. Especially with how slow the stupid descent speed on these things is, it's going to take more than 4 or 5 minutes to come back down. About 1/3rd of the total flight time you get out of a battery just to come back down doesn't appeal to me at all. So whilst it's frustrating to be forced to that limit, in reality there's not much need to go higher than it. In Australia you'd have to have special dispensation from CASA to go anywhere near it anyway.

As for the question about GPS, from what I've read, the distance limit is able to be changed by the user, and still allows GPS, it's only the height that can't go beyond the 500m and that's in both GPS and in ATTI.
I1 has same restriction on 500m.

If you have no GPS lock, your maximum height is limited to 120m. Full disclosure here so you are not surprised if you cannot get a lock or loose lock.

Ahhh right i see what you mean now, this was the only bit in the Manuel i was not understanding last night after many beers, but now all makes sense after reading on here.
So i think im fully ready now with the Manuel read again, new ipad (but no app:eek:) new ipad sunshade and a new Anker 30cm cable. Now all i need of course is delivery of the P3 it self, which i will happily sit on my kitchen work top staring at every night while drinking some red wine or beer and waiting for the release of the ios app so i can take it out and fly. Appy days. :p

So is anyone flying their P3 without the app or is it even possible? I pick mine up from Fedex on my way home.

Part of the problem for me is 500m height is relative to the take off point. If I'm trying to photograph a mountain of 750m starting from the base at 100m then the 500m restriction would be too low to get to the top.

I appreciate its not going to be an everyday problem but I hope to go to Snowdonia next year and take some mountain shots.

That's going to bite me too.
I hadn't realised the Inspire had the same limit. Does the S1000 have a limit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i KEEP NOTICING when di mentions the height and distance limits that are set they keep saying default settings and what not. So it very well could be like the p2v's were they have a default setting for max height but still lets you change it as long as you check yes in the disclaimer pop up window that says you are responsible for any risks yada yada yada

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers