P3 Compass Calibration Crash!

Reaction score
Was at the same location the day before and flew perfect, next day same location took off and within 5 seconds got a Compass Calibration Error, the P3 is basically impossible to control if this happens, seems like no matter what I did could not get it to go in the right direction, well I hit a tree and landed on asphalt, some how the P3 survived the crash with nothing but broken props. After the crash I realized I should have probably gained altitude until I could figure out how to control it.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 327
Sorry for your loss...

For shits and giggles I always do a new Compass Cal at any location where I haven't flown in more than a day.. Call me ****...
I always do a calibration first wherever or whenever I fly. It is so easy to do with the P3 thru the pilot app. Leaves less room for error.

Funny thing is.. Not only do I do a compass cal.. but I reboot the bird after the calibration and before the first flight.. That way I know the calibration is a good one.

Sorry for your loss...

For shits and giggles I always do a new Compass Cal at any location where I haven't flown in more than a day.. Call me ****...

I dont think its always a good idea to do a compass calibration at a new site. What if your existing is calibration is better? You could be making it worse from the surrounding magnetic influence.

The compass calibration is just re-validating north and looking at magnetic declinations.

Unless the app tells you to or if you have placed the compass near magnet or added mods then its best not to calibrate.

If you are seriously ****, find the nearest open field near your lication to calibrate. Take off from a cardboard box. Keep an eye on the radar and Monitor the phantom's orientation on the radar.

I have a P2H4 that I fly mostly.. I learned the compass cal lesson early when I was setting gain in the house... I didn't do a good compass Cal and the **** think flew right back at me and cut my finger real good... I shoulda got stitches.. But crazy glue worked great.. :p

JB

You have to be careful before blaming the compass - never assume it is a compass issue immediately. When you take off just simply yaw the aircraft 360 degrees and see if the Radar on the left shows the aircraft direction correctly. If it does then the compass is working correctly and is not going to benefit from a calibration. There is a possibility that what you experienced could be some other random error.

Reactions: Buzz313th
From now on before I start flying around i'm going to hover for at least 15-30 seconds, I kinda took right off and went for it.

I dont think its always a good idea to do a compass calibration at a new site. What if your existing is calibration is better? You could be making it worse from the surrounding magnetic influence.

The compass calibration is just re-validating north and looking at magnetic declinations.

Unless the app tells you to or if you have placed the compass near magnet or added mods then its best not to calibrate.

If you are seriously ****, find the nearest open field near your lication to calibrate. Take off from a cardboard box. Keep an eye on the radar and Monitor the phantom's orientation on the radar.
Well... it is finding true north and setting magnetic variation and most importantly, setting a heading reference to sync with the GPS. But I believe it's doing a bit more than that... It probably evaluates the current magnetic Mojo and will tell you if you have a good cal or not.. Why would I do this in a new location if I already have a good calibration at another site? I'll tell ya.. Because it will let me know before I fly the bird, if I will have a consistent magnetic track to true north and if I will have any interference in the current area by failing the compass cal. Last thing I wanna do is use a calibration from another site that's magnetically clean with a current site that is magnetically dirty... I want to know before I put my 1500 bucks on the line...

From now on before I start flying around i'm going to hover for at least 15-30 seconds, I kinda took right off and went for it.

I always let the aircraft settle - check the radar to ensure all the data are consistent on the screen, battery hasn't suddenly dropped, camera is level and maintains level when you tilt the aircraft and then fly off.. I do this especially if it is a long range mission with no LOS as once it is gone over a 1000 feet you are at the mercy of the telemetry data

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic