P3 4K birdside antenna connection question

Reaction score
Hello, my first post here!
I have P3 4K and using RC side Itelite panel antenna plus two cheap OEM boosters (5.8 and 2.4) it can fly as far as 3.5 km on a calm day in an open unobstructed area. Video signal dies first, so I want to try using different birdside antennas to improve the 2.4. For that I need to have RP-SMA ends to be connected to the board. I checked many threads and videos how to do it for P3S, but nothing particular for P3 4K which is slightly different. For example P3 4K has P3P style antennas (see photo). I just want to be sure before I drill, connect and fly that I am doing it right. So my question is - are these two U.Fl connectors on the board are both 2.4Ghz? (photo) Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• scaled_image(2) - Copy.jpg
    scaled_image(2) - Copy.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 479
  • scaled_image(3) - Copy.jpg
    scaled_image(3) - Copy.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 477
I know on the standard the two wires inside that you pictured are for 5.8g and the two 2.4g connectors are on top of the gimbal.

I think the wireless module is dual-band. If you have a look inside the remote you will see both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz antennas cables. But there are only two antennas on the AC, they are not color-coded and not labelled separately, they should be interchangeable. That's why I think both antenna are used for for both 2.4/5.8 freq.
This arrangement is different from the P3S, where there are two separate wireless modules, one is inside the gimbal and is used for the 2.4GHz FPV downlink, the other one on the main AC board and is for receiving the 5.8GHz control signal.

Last edited:
Thank you all. I just have unscrewed the square dome box with sensors right next to the gimbal and found that (I believe) connections to 2.4 antennas inside.

Attachments

• scaled_image(9).jpg
    scaled_image(9).jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 391
So the U.FL connectors inside the AC are for 5.8GHz, just like the P3S.
Are coax cables coming out of the the vision positioning unit going to the two ceramic patch antennas inside the AC? (If you look inside the battery compartment, you might find them there)
If that is the case, and you want a better FPV downlink, you can replace the ceramic patches with two more P3P leg antennas.

So the U.FL connectors inside the AC are for 5.8GHz, just like the P3S.
Are coax cables coming out of the the vision positioning unit going to the two ceramic patch antennas inside the AC? (If you look inside the battery compartment, you might find them there)
If that is the case, and you want a better FPV downlink, you can replace the ceramic patches with two more P3P leg antennas.
There are four P3P leg antennas and there are no ceramic patch antennas around the battery compartment.
Two leg antennas are connected to the main board of the AC (first photo in my first post), and the other two are connected to the "vision positioning unit" (my last photo).

Oh, I thought all four P4P leg antennas are for 2.4GHz. On the P3-4K, is DJI using the standard leg antennas for the 5.8GHz band?

Last edited:
Oh, I thought all four P4P leg antennas are for 2.4GHz. On the P3-4K, is DJI using the standard leg antennas for the 5.8GHz band?
P3P uses only 2.4ghz band, but P3 4K uses both 2.4 and 5.8. I don't see other antennas on the AC except these 4 leg antennas. That is why it is safe to assume that two of them are for 5.8 (and they go to a different board). I am not sure that these antennas are exactly P3P antennas, they are just some leg antennas which may have different specs.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20