P2V+ User Manual - Made by us!

Reaction score
I'm going to start putting some things together into an E-Book/PDF along with picture demonstrations. Hopefully it will be something that someone can look over to get a better understanding of how everything works and have less questions about common things that are asked and answered all the time.

Post a reply with anything that you think should be included into this PDF/E-Book.
Tips and Tricks as well, anything that you think someone should know, lets hear it and I'll include.

I would be very interested in that if you did it. I'd like to see some recommended settings for different uses. Also maybe explain a little more about some of the more advanced features on both the remote control and phantom, like what are the s1 and s2 switches for and what are the different flight modes.

Dave

dkyacht said:
I would be very interested in that if you did it. I'd like to see some recommended settings for different uses. Also maybe explain a little more about some of the more advanced features on both the remote control and phantom, like what are the s1 and s2 switches for and what are the different flight modes.

Dave
This will be included, I was already planning on including this.

One tip would be that you can measure the wind speed at altitude using ATTI mode. Just flip the switch and wait until the speed stabilizes - that is the wind speed at your altitude. Of course pay attention since it is going away at that speed. The direction it's drifting tells you the wind direction.

I definitely appreciate the tip to use ATTI mode and telemetry to determine wind speed. At the same time, I wonder why we need a new 'user manual'. DJI provides a pretty thorough user manual, and frankly, I think many folks who have had problems have not actually read it. Think your user manual should really focus on tips like this that go beyond the supplied instruction manual. Just feel like to many folks here are looking for quick answers that are already answered if they read the book. Just my 2 cents

ATTI mode for taking off from a boat

Here's hint that you won't see in the DJI manual.

If you are going to launch from a moving platform, like a boat, us ATTI mode.

Wait until you have home lock and a good GPS fix, then switch to ATTI before lifting off. IF you're in GPS mode, the thing will immediately move towards it's home point as it lifts off, and it could hit you or something close by as it ascends. If you switch to ATTI before lifting off, it will happily just go straight up, or even better, downwind from you (assuming you're upwind of it; a good idea).

My first attempt at launching from a slowly drifting boat was in full GPS mode, and it came pretty close to hitting someone it lifted off. Using plenty of throttle helps, but even an anchored boat is moving around a bit. Since then, I've done a few in ATTI mode and no drama, very easy. I flip back to GPS mode once it's safely overheard.

Re: ATTI mode for taking off from a boat

doug86 said:
Here's hint that you won't see in the DJI manual.

If you are going to launch from a moving platform, like a boat, us ATTI mode.

Wait until you have home lock and a good GPS fix, then switch to ATTI before lifting off. IF you're in GPS mode, the thing will immediately move towards it's home point as it lifts off, and it could hit you or something close by as it ascends. If you switch to ATTI before lifting off, it will happily just go straight up, or even better, downwind from you (assuming you're upwind of it; a good idea).

My first attempt at launching from a slowly drifting boat was in full GPS mode, and it came pretty close to hitting someone it lifted off. Using plenty of throttle helps, but even an anchored boat is moving around a bit. Since then, I've done a few in ATTI mode and no drama, very easy. I flip back to GPS mode once it's safely overheard.
Great tip!!!

MikesTooLz said:
I'm going to start putting some things together into an E-Book/PDF along with picture demonstrations. Hopefully it will be something that someone can look over to get a better understanding of how everything works and have less questions about common things that are asked and answered all the time.

Post a reply with anything that you think should be included into this PDF/E-Book.
Tips and Tricks as well, anything that you think someone should know, lets hear it and I'll include.

Think what you're doing is a noble effort, but perhaps keeping it to "Quick Tips" or FAQs would be better as a STICKY at the top of the page. If people are new to RCs or don't know anything about copters, wouldn't you think RTM would be prudent. I've been away from RCs for about 20 years, but when I was thinking about buying a copter with a camera, I started reading and doing research. First thing I learned was DJI SUCKED at support, but they had a mainstream product that was leading the industry in terms of a close to "turn key" design. This is echoed by local and out-of-State RC resellers if you take time to "talk shop" with them.

At $1300, it's not a disposable toy. Trying to save you some time instead of "recreating the wheel" or duplication of effort. There's a lot of helpful posts and members on this board and that's appreciated. But, if people don't take the time to RTM, well, we'll still see the posts sooner or later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh7UgAprdpM
(this video is used to death on many boards, but had to... :eek: )

Lol great video! Mike have you ever heard of magic lantern books? They make instruction manuals for digital cameras. The thing I like about them is the basically rewrite the factory instruction manual in "english" and add in little grayed out boxes below every section. Inside the grayed in boxes they give you a real world explanation of the setting they are talking about and why you would use it.

If you haven't seen these books you should swing by a book store and check one out. They are excellent. ..

Dave

sting808 said:
MikesTooLz said:

Think what you're doing is a noble effort, but perhaps keeping it to "Quick Tips" or FAQs would be better as a STICKY at the top of the page. If people are new to RCs or don't know anything about copters, wouldn't you think RTM would be prudent. I've been away from RCs for about 20 years, but when I was thinking about buying a copter with a camera, I started reading and doing research. First thing I learned was DJI SUCKED at support, but they had a mainstream product that was leading the industry in terms of a close to "turn key" design. This is echoed by local and out-of-State RC resellers if you take time to "talk shop" with them.

At $1300, it's not a disposable toy. Trying to save you some time instead of "recreating the wheel" or duplication of effort. There's a lot of helpful posts and members on this board and that's appreciated. But, if people don't take the time to RTM, well, we'll still see the posts sooner or later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh7UgAprdpM
(this video is used to death on many boards, but had to... :eek: )

I'm not planning on a manual replacement, more like additional tips/tricks and clarifying things some people may find confusing.
However a few things may overlap with the DJI manual.

dkyacht said:
Lol great video! Mike have you ever heard of magic lantern books? They make instruction manuals for digital cameras. The thing I like about them is the basically rewrite the factory instruction manual in "english" and add in little grayed out boxes below every section. Inside the grayed in boxes they give you a real world explanation of the setting they are talking about and why you would use it.

If you haven't seen these books you should swing by a book store and check one out. They are excellent. ..

Dave

Yes I'm planning on trying to have a full page image for each tip explaining each item so it should be very easy to understand with the real life visuals.

Don't forget to add that flying full speed in ATTI mode will NOT hold altitude so flying low over a lake when doing that...like I did, is very bad... :(

Geo

This happened to me yesterday. I was returning home using HL and when I got within 30 ft the phantom changed direction 180 degrees and went the other way!! Luckily I was only 30 ft off the ground and saw this happen and hovered while I figured it out. I was returning home from behind where I had originally got course direction. Therefore stick back was 180 degrees from the direction I was going when it auto switched from HL to CL 30 ft from home.

Thought it would be a good idea for you to possibly include that everyone should keep in mind that the craft direction will likely change direction (and could change drastically) when using HL and breaking the 30 ft threshold.

Compass calibration is different in Vision + manual vs the Phantom 2.
The plus is counter clockwise, while the Phantom 2 is clock wise.

Also clarify on how to as a lot of people are doing the second vertical step incorrectly. I've seen twice on youtube that instead of rotating nose down on its axis, they are cartwheeling it instead.

And also people are spinning themselves around arms out straight holding the phantom. I'm pretty sure that on its axis, means the phantom stays in its axis and not the person.

Should also write about the landing techniques.
Catch landing verses ground landing:
I catch 99% of the time as I don't trust the narrow stock landing legs. It only take one small gust or deviation from the vortex and you lose 3 props which can injure someone.
There are dangers to catch landings though and you need to practice with prop guards first.
And you need to be aware that when the battery alarms, the phantom self lands and no longer hovers, therefore you need to counter the elevation it to catch the phantom.

And always use a lanyard with the transmitter for catch land (actually, you should always use a lanyard so you have 2 hands free) and avoid carbon props for now. There is a horrific incident with carbon props and catch landing on youtube which resulted in stitches. Could have been worse.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl