P2V+, Data Link and Ground Station - WORKS!!!!!

EspenA said:
Hello wattsn.

I have been flying 4-5 autonomous missions myself with the just released GS app and it works great, but the lack of options and the way it handles turns, I'm so looking forward to get the iOS GS in place (which is waiting at the post office fore me:))
I'm going to install my Datalink setup this weekend and I'm really exited about your documentation here! Now, so you say that FPV and Datalink communication works flawlessly together so far? What has been your max. distance with FPV and Datalink so far?
Any last advice for installing the Datalink air end? Except updating all the firmwares maybe :)

Edit: And by the way, are you using the WiFi- booster app for P2V+ when you fly with this setup?

Thx again for a great post. Looking forward to this.

EspenA

I've not purposely tested huge distances yet. I would say so far probably only about 200m but one of the flights being out of sight, over the far side of a tall roofed building, and FPV was still fine. I'm building up to a purposeful RTH situation :)

No additional tips for the install other than I am so glad I did the cable mod and removed the CAN-bus from the leg. So long as you can do simple soldering then I highly suggest you do that you make things neater. Just make sure you pin out the cable ends (CAN-bus to JST with Can module connected in between) before you cut the cable ends and again after you have made the solder connections. Also, I have found with the ground end, if I use certain battery packs to power it the BTU always shows a red light. At first I thought it had stopped working but turns out it needs a strong battery to power the BTU via the ground data link box.

There is something satisfying about making this mod, connecting it all up then seeing all the correct green lights (Ground unit, BTU and air unit) and then the quad telemetry on the iPad GS app knowing you have wired it correctly (if you stick with the CAN-bus module then you know it will be right).

My GS kit should be delivered today. I'll be using the PC based software on a Surface Pro tablet.

Hopefully it works well because I really don't want to buy an iPad again.

Great to hear it guys. I hope my posts and pics have been of some use.

Enjoy and happy flying :)

Very inspiring. I am trying to decide if I should sell my P2V and get a P2 with this setup or just do it with the P2V... hmmm What would be the advantages/disadvantages to either model do you think?

polo-kracher said:
i flew 2 mission without any problems.... this is the real deal. love it

Fantastic. Really pleased it's all worked out.

Did you use CAN-Bus module on leg or do the wire mod?

i soldered the wires together. had to look for the right connections twice, your picture got me confused for a bit.

Are there any advantages to going the soldered path than having the the CAN Bus module on the leg apart from it looks a lot neater?

I've read on other places that there are FPV interference issues with using it on the leg as well as the compass. Is this correct?

wattsn I see from your initial photos that you had the CAN Bus sitting above the compass. Did this have any side affects?

walksm8 said:
wattsn I see from your initial photos that you had the CAN Bus sitting above the compass. Did this have any side affects?

I had incorrect altitude with CAN Bus module on leg. No way of knowing if it caused it but wanted neater install anyway. Other way is just tape up the module and find a spot inside the shell for it. Same neat end result.

i had no problems at all, but in all fairness i have to admit i did only 2 flights so far, maybe someday something will show up

walksm8 said:
Anyone feel like doing the soldering for me If I send them the necessary cables? :)

Where you based? If UK I'm happy to oblige another forum member.

wattsn said:
The additional features on the full GS app that I like are

Choice of turn type (stop&turn, back, adaptive)
Manual delay setting for stop&turn type turns
Ability to use/create/save waypoint templates
On screen joystick control option
Create and save waypoint route indoors with quad off

Hi wattsn,
Great job on this.

Questions
- With the GS mod can the camera be controlled tilt/yaw while flying a mission leg? or does the mission have to be paused to get tilt/yaw? I'm assuming tilt for sure, unsure about yaw.
- With the GS mod can the craft be flown sideways point to point so as to pan the camera across a subject or field of view rather than pointing directly at a subject until paused or at a waypoint.

I ask because the new Vision app update does not allow yaw control of the camera. I still have to play with pausing/resuming missions Having the yaw control at least at mission waypoints is a make or break feature for my use. Right now I can only get this kind of control through manual flight.

Thanks for the great work.

RScottCampbell said:
wattsn said:
The additional features on the full GS app that I like are

Choice of turn type (stop&turn, back, adaptive)
Manual delay setting for stop&turn type turns
Ability to use/create/save waypoint templates
On screen joystick control option
Create and save waypoint route indoors with quad off

Hi wattsn,
Great job on this.

Questions
- With the GS mod can the camera be controlled tilt/yaw while flying a mission leg? or does the mission have to be paused to get tilt/yaw? I'm assuming tilt for sure, unsure about yaw.
- With the GS mod can the craft be flow sideways point to point so as to pan the camera across a subject or field of view rather than pointing directly at a subject until paused or at a waypoint.

I ask because the new Vision app update does not allow yaw control of the camera. I still have to play with pausing/resuming missions Having the yaw control at least at mission waypoints is a make or break feature for my use. Right now I can only get this kind of control through manual flight.

Thanks for the great work.
+1

You can set the following for each waypoint in the full featured GS app.

Stop&turn:
Height
Speed
Heading
Hover time
Long
Lat

Back Turn (Don't know what back turn means)
Height
Speed
Long
Lat

Adaptive: (Don't know what adaptive means)
Height
Speed
Long
Lat

gfredrone said:
You can set the following for each waypoint in the full featured GS app.

Stop&turn:
Height
Speed
Heading
Hover time
Long
Lat

Back Turn (Don't know what back turn means)
Height
Speed
Long
Lat

Adaptive: (Don't know what adaptive means)
Height
Speed
Long
Lat

Ok, just so I wasn't asking something that was documented, I read the 7 page User Guide. Which was almost useless in terms of defining the capabilities.

However, we do have this forum of pilots way beyond my experience. In a quote from another thread in the GS forum IrishSights says:
IrishSights said:
With GS you have no control over yaw, pitch or roll while a mission is in progress, only gimbel tilt, if it is in range.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11824&p=152565&hilit=yaw#p152565

That's a bummer.

I'm assuming that means that you can't fly the bird sideways (for panning) or backwards (to eliminate rotors) in GS either.

Rather I think, but not sure, that IOC and manual control are the best for doing these types of maneuvers with a P2V+.

Practice, practice, practice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1