DJI 2.4G Data Link "Air End" Dead?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently began reading up and trying to use the DJI 2.4g data link (LK24-BT) for waypoint flying via the PC Ground Station. I am running the DJI Phantom 2 with FPV setup (Flysight 400mW transmitter, 5.8GHz clover leaf antennas), Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal with Hero 3+ Black. Computer for the Ground Station is running Windows 10...could the Windows 10 upgrade be an issue? I am having a couple of issues and I can't find any answers on the web even after extensive searching, so I was hoping you guys would help me out. I attempted a Ground Station mission after plotting just a few points on the PC Ground Station to test it out. The ground end and air end lights indicated a good link, and the mission successfully uploaded to the Phantom 2. When I clicked GO, the Phantom flew up to the designated altitude, then flew to the last way point (just above where I was standing so in view) and just hovered there. The only way I was able to regain control with the RC was to flip it to Failsafe and wait until it started coming back home. The link between GS and the Phantom repeatedly dropped and reconnected briefly during this time. After this I read up on Simulator Mode and hooked everything back up at home to attempt a simulated waypoint flight in the PC Ground Station. In the simulated flights I tried, the Phantom 2 would take off then shoot up to Maximum Height and stay there. It would not fly the waypoints I programmed in (the missions did successfully upload to the Phantom). So I decided to check for updates on the Data Link components, and found through the Assistant that the ground end did have an update, which I successfully completed. Then I tried to update the air end...even though it said there was no update available...I didn't think re-doing a current update should mess anything up. After that, the air end lights no longer come on at all. I've applied power via the can bus port on the Phantom, hooked it (the air end) to the ground end and to the PC repeatedly and it appears it is getting no power (no led lights at all come on). I pushed and held the "EXP" button on the air end (thinking it might reset it...but I can't find any explanation of what this button actually does). Also, every time I hook the ground end to m PC via usb ports, start the Data Link Assistant, it crashes my wifi connection to the internet on the computer as soon as I try to update the air end again...

So, my questions are:
1. How can I get the air end to come back to life?

2. Does the Phantom need to be in NAZA-M mode for me to be able to use the PC ground station and data link...or should it work in the default "Phantom 2" mode?

3. Does anyone know if Windows 10 is causing problems for Phantom upgrades, Ground Station links, etc.?

Any insight you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Hello all,

So, my questions are:
1. How can I get the air end to come back to life?

2. Does the Phantom need to be in NAZA-M mode for me to be able to use the PC ground station and data link...or should it work in the default "Phantom 2" mode?

3. Does anyone know if Windows 10 is causing problems for Phantom upgrades, Ground Station links, etc.?

Any insight you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

I am by no means an expert with less than a dozen GS flights.
You are in the Phantom 1 forum, so you may want to ask the moderator to move this thread.
You should see the red light on the Airside unit as soon as you power up. Check the CANbus at both ends.
I've never updated the firmware, but I can see where that could cause it to not power up if there was something wrong with the update. Try the update again.
The Phantom2 mode just disables the IOC switch. I don't think anyone should be flying in P2 Mode, just remember to leave S2 up.

Get this far and then we can work out what's going on in the waypoints.

You didn't put your location in your profile, but maybe someone near you might be able to help.

Thank you sir for the reply. This was my first post and of course, I messed it up by putting it in the wrong forum. I will try to see how to get it moved to the P2 forum...thanks for letting me know.

Why do you say that no one should be flying in P2 mode?

The P2 mode is for people who can't remember to keep S2 in the "up" position.

Hello BeAdvised. It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

And no worries, you posted in the right place. It is a little know fact that Ground Station is it's own sub-forum and all P1 & P2 GS post end up here. So you see the same sub-forum in either P1 or P2. See now? Clear as mud. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
I managed to solve mine and here is how:

Make sure of the following (WORKED FOR ME):

1. Ground and Air unit are connected using the CAN BUS cable
2. You are using a wired internet connection (VERY IMPORTANT, not a wifi as it would / might be affected by the signal from GS)
3. Make sure you have the antenna on the ground unit
4. Power the Ground unit from 12V (I used a 3s LIPO) - din not work for me just on USB power alone
5. Connect it to PC and start the DATA LINK ASSISTANT
6. UPGRADE OR REUPGRADE THE GROUND UNIT FIRST!
7. POWER CYCLE
8. UPGRADE THE AIR UNIT
9. POWER CYCLE

If it does not work from first try repeat steps 5->9 a few times. Again it saved my Air unit from version 0.0.0.0 firmware and no power on the leds.

I have the same problem after upgrading my laptop to Windows 10. Air End dead - FW ver.0.0.0.0. Then a I try flash Ground End and Air End on my desktop PC with Windows 7 and everything goes well. DJI suport for Windows 10 is weak. Dont flash DJI equipment on Windows 10 devices. For example I cant establish connection between Ground Station 4.0 on my laptop with Windows 10 and aircraft. When I try this between my desktop PC with Windows 7 -- no problem, connection is established in miliseconds. On laptop I have problem with repeated disconection when I fly using groundstation (even though I had a notebook windows 7) Now I am unable connect with aircraft (Windows 10 on my laptop). DJI has new toys and support only this new toys. DJI Phantom 1 and 2, S800 S900 and S1000 never get SDK kit for programing apps for Windows, Mac or Android...Never get functionality as P3, P2 Vision and P2 Vision+ (follow mode, point of interest and other). Old toys was very expensive and after you must buy expensive supplements as DJI BT 2.4 Datalink (Visons, P3, Inspire have an application with groundstation mode for free...).

Last edited:
I have the same problem after upgrading my laptop to Windows 10. Air End dead - FW ver.0.0.0.0. Then a I try flash Ground End and Air End on my desktop PC with Windows 7 and everything goes well. DJI suport for Windows 10 is weak. Dont flash DJI equipment on Windows 10 devices. For example I cant establish connection between Ground Station 4.0 on my laptop with Windows 10 and aircraft. When I try this between my desktop PC with Windows 7 -- no problem, connection is established in miliseconds. On laptop I have problem with repeated disconection when I fly using groundstation (even though I had a notebook windows 7) Now I am unable connect with aircraft (Windows 10 on my laptop). DJI has new toys and support only this new toys. DJI Phantom 1 and 2, S800 S900 and S1000 never get SDK kit for programing apps for Windows, Mac or Android...Never get functionality as P3, P2 Vision and P2 Vision+ (follow mode, point of interest and other). Old toys was very expensive and after you must buy expensive supplements as DJI BT 2.4 Datalink (Visons, P3, Inspire have an application with groundstation mode for free...).

Donat invest More Time in PC Grounstation. It only Works Till 12 Dezember.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl