P2V+, Data Link and Ground Station - WORKS!!!!!

OK, just took her for a first flight using GS following adding the 2.4GHz Data Link. Apart from the fact that the position of the Phantom was reporting an altitude of 8m when on the ground everything worked perfectly. I did a simple 3 way point route and she took off after pressing Go and then flew the route just perfectly. I auto landed her twice using the feature in the GS app but on the second attempt she stayed hovering about 9" above the ground. So, she is interpreting the route and waypoints perfectly and carrying out her instructions exactly as entered. So a huge success.

Now I just need to work out why she was reporting an incorrect altitude when on the ground. No idea if this is to do with the mod or not. No more time today unfortunately due to guests arriving but this week I will do some more testing both with the mod and GS and also after disconnecting the Data Link and check what altitude the DJI Vision app reports. I did do a very poor video with sone holding iPhone and will post a link to it once I have uploaded to PC and Vimeo.

[edit] just read that the altitude reported in GS is actually height above or below sea level. So appears it was correct and me just reading the app incorrectly. So all good then :)

wattsn said:
OK, just took her for a first flight using GS following adding the 2.4GHz Data Link. Apart from the fact that the position of the Phantom was reporting an altitude of 8m when on the ground everything worked perfectly. I did a simple 3 way point route and she took off after pressing Go and then flew the route just perfectly. I auto landed her twice using the feature in the GS app but on the second attempt she stayed hovering about 9" above the ground. So, she is interpreting the route and waypoints perfectly and carrying out her instructions exactly as entered. So a huge success.

Now I just need to work out why she was reporting an incorrect altitude when on the ground. No idea if this is to do with the mod or not. No more time today unfortunately due to guests arriving but this week I will do some more testing both with the mod and GS and also after disconnecting the Data Link and check what altitude the DJI Vision app reports. I did do a very poor video with sone holding iPhone and will post a link to it once I have uploaded to PC and Vimeo.

[edit] just read that the altitude reported in GS is actually height above or below sea level. So appears it was correct and me just reading the app incorrectly. So all good then :)

Am I understanding this correctly, in essence you have added a network for the ground station and retained all control functions of the controller as well as the camera controls (Video & Photo) and you can also used the iPad to do the flight plan?

cougar said:
Am I understanding this correctly, in essence you have added a network for the ground station and retained all control functions of the controller as well as the camera controls (Video & Photo) and you can also used the iPad to do the flight plan?

Correct

wattsn said:
Here's a (rather poor) video showing the first flight opf my P2V+ with Ground Station

https://vimeo.com/98862991?utm_source=e ... QyMHw3NzAx

Thank you for the video, some questions:
How do you control camera and photos while the Plus being controlled by Ground Station?
Can you take over control from the ground station to the controller in flight?
A short decryption of this would be great.

cougar said:
How do you control camera and photos while the Plus being controlled by Ground Station?

You can continue to control camera and video through the DJI Vision app as normal.

For GS to work, on any Phantom, the transmitter must be in Naza mode. In this case Switch S1 is set to GPS, Atti and FailSafe (in my setup) so to take control of the Phantom you can either just cancel the flight in the GS app on the iPAD and it will change into a stationary hover or simply flick S1 from GPS to Atti and back again and then you have control. This is standard Ground Station control features and nothing specific to the implementation on my P2V+

wattsn said:
cougar said:

You can continue to control camera and video through the DJI Vision app as normal.

For GS to work, on any Phantom, the transmitter must be in Naza mode. In this case Switch S1 is set to GPS, Atti and FailSafe (in my setup) so to take control of the Phantom you can either just cancel the flight in the GS app on the iPAD and it will change into a stationary hover or simply flick S1 from GPS to Atti and back again and then you have control. This is standard Ground Station control features and nothing specific to the implementation on my P2V+

Very interesting, so:
I am in Naza just like you, using iPad Mini for the App.
Would it be possible to have booth Vision app and the GS app running at the same time (since it would be connected via USB to the Mini)?
My scenario:

Take off using GS, while underway pause flight in GS and take over control , open DJI App (was running in the back ground) do whatever manoeuvres, take photos etc. then open up GS app and resume flight as per scheduled?
Possible??

cougar said:
Very interesting, so:
Would it be possible to have booth Vision app and the GS app running at the same time (since it would be connected via USB to the Mini)?
My scenario:

Take off using GS, while underway pause flight in GS and take over control , open DJI App (was running in the back ground) do whatever manoeuvres, take photos etc. then open up GS app and resume flight as per scheduled?
Possible??

Don't see why not. I'll try it this week. The only bit I'm not sure about is getting GS to resume the schedule after you have taken control.

wattsn said:
cougar said:
Very interesting, so:
My scenario:

Possible??

Don't see why not. I'll try it this week. The only bit I'm not sure about is getting GS to resume the schedule after you have taken control.

That would be awesome, if that can be done I'm definitely in since that can't be done in the app that is forthcoming. Please keep us updated :D

I believe the ground transceiver uses bluetooth to communicate with the iPad. What does it use to communicate to the phantom? Is it wifi? I'm still concerned about RF interference with two 2.4g transmitters on the phantom. It may work at short distances, but I suspect long range would be compromised?

Very slick, but for piece of mind, I think it is always best to fly HIGH - especially for autonomous flight. Seems to me that your Phantom was in serious danger of getting hit by a soccer ball or even possibly hitting some of the folks on the field. I would not want to test autonomous flight anywhere near where people are present. Not worth the lawsuit...

Bummer that auto land failed... Even if your props were not broken, they may have been nicked and may introduce vibration. You should check them carefully. Mine tipped over yesterday and I damaged a prop. Very annoying....

I'm waiting for DJI to update their app so don't have to do all of the mods you have done... Nice job, though...

My two cents.... Happy flying!

For those who think this upgrade is going to be moot. I would ask you to think again. The ground station gives u access to PC ground station which is a very powerful tool to plan autonomous flights. There are so many additional parameters you can play with. Is there a way to decode the video feed(of the P2V+)from the PC/Mac to make a single FPV solution?

Mori55 said:
Can do poi with it ?
Nope, not on naza m v2. The wookong and A2 can do poi currently. The heading can be changed in GS(PC and iOS ). The heading is only at the way points and not during the course to way point.

cougar said:
Sad part is that this will only work on PC, no love for Mac, Android or iOS
How do you mean? You can run parallels and have it working on a Mac. No support for Android but iPad runs iOS and it's the recommended platform. The vision app which is currently in beta will allow depreciated commands through iOS (iPhone) and in Android soon with no additional hardware.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic