P2V+, Data Link and Ground Station - WORKS!!!!!

I'm going to add this to my P2V+.

While shopping around for the data link there looks to be a few different options available.

Even though I don't need all of the parts it looks like Part # "DJI-IOSCOMB1" is a nice deal. You get a CAN BUS HUB and IOSD Mini along with all the other parts of the "DJI-IOS-GS" package for only $30 more.

andersonpaac said:
cougar said:
Sad part is that this will only work on PC, no love for Mac, Android or iOS
How do you mean? You can run parallels and have it working on a Mac. No support for Android but iPad runs iOS and it's the recommended platform. The vision app which is currently in beta will allow depreciated commands through iOS (iPhone) and in Android soon with no additional hardware.

No Windows on my Mac, left the dark side long ago.

While flying autonomously , I like to keep the height to a 1000 feet to avoid collision with any buildings. Can anyone suggest if this height is too much? Is there a max height I must stay within while flying the phantom via the ground station?

wattsn said:
Woo hoo! I took a chance and ordered the 2.4G Data Link to install in my P2V+. By simply adding a Can-bus module it allowed me to install the Air end data link to the underside of the bird next to the upper camera plate. Whilst I have not yet done a first flight it all works as have tested without blades and she starts up, lands etc all under control of the iPad GS app. I am sooooo pleased. Here's an external pic of the install. Internally it was just the grey cable with mini connector being fed up inside the case and connected to the CAN connection on the main board.

DSC_0013.jpg

Hello wattsn.

This looks so promising and I'm def. looking to do the same thing. I have had my P2V+ for a week and so far very happy with it. Installing this would really further enhance the usage and experience of the P2V+.
I have also seen one the P2V+ forum over at Rcgroups.com, that a pilot have used the Ground station together with the 2,4Ghz video uplink, by adjusting the antenna position on the AirLink unit, so that too looks promising.

Anyways what to buy:

I have been looking at the DJI iOS GroundStation + DataLink BT package (DJI part nr. DJI-IOSGS-BT-50WP) https://www.norek.no/dji-ios-groundstation-datalink-bt/800452, but I guess I should order the extension cable you refer to as well, but can't seme to find it online anuwhere?
Can you please advice if I'm going in the right direction now?

Thank you in advance.

Rgds,

EspenA

EspenA said:
Hello wattsn.

This looks so promising and I'm def. looking to do the same thing. I have had my P2V+ for a week and so far very happy with it. Installing this would really further enhance the usage and experience of the P2V+.
I have also seen one the P2V+ forum over at Rcgroups.com, that a pilot have used the Ground station together with the 2,4Ghz video uplink, by adjusting the antenna position on the AirLink unit, so that too looks promising.

Anyways what to buy:

I have been looking at the DJI iOS GroundStation + DataLink BT package (DJI part nr. DJI-IOSGS-BT-50WP) https://www.norek.no/dji-ios-groundstation-datalink-bt/800452, but I guess I should order the extension cable you refer to as well, but can't seme to find it online anuwhere?

Thank you in advance.

Rgds,

EspenA

I have listed the 2 required items on 1st page of this thread.

Can bus module
2.4GHz Data Link kit

Happy autonomous flying :)

wattsn said:
EspenA said:
Hello wattsn.

Anyways what to buy:

Thank you in advance.

Rgds,

EspenA

I have listed the 2 required items on 1st page of this thread.

Can bus module
2.4GHz Data Link kit

Happy autonomous flying :)

Found this: DJI-PH2V-02 http://www.elefun.no/p/prod.aspx?v=28016&, hope I ordered the right part :)

Ordered this to off course:DJI-IOSGS-BT-50WP http://www.elefun.no/p/prod.aspx?v=26356

Looking forward to do my own installation and even be able to report my testing here :)

rgds.

EspenA

When flying via ground station programming, does the phantom have to stay within range to maintain a signal or does it keep all the information for the flight plan stored onboard and can complete its course without any 'link' to the controller or ground station?

Thanks.

wattsn said:
EspenA said:
Found this: DJI-PH2V-02 http://www.elefun.no/p/prod.aspx?v=28016&, hope I ordered the right part :)

Ordered this to off course:DJI-IOSGS-BT-50WP http://www.elefun.no/p/prod.aspx?v=26356

Looking forward to do my own installation and even be able to report my testing here :)

rgds.

EspenA

Those are the correct parts :)

I guess I will receive them before the weekend, before I'm sure I will have some more questions about the setup. My first question: Do I have to set the P2V+ to a different mode (Phantom 2/Naza-M)? I have not looked to much in to that yet and note sure what the difference is, but anyways I guess the P2V+ comes with Phantom 2 mode out of the box. Do I have to change this in any way?

Just a short edit: I have just read the difference btw, Phantom 2 mode and NAZA-M mode now, and must say, why the hell I'm I flying this in Phatom 2 mode :) Going to change it later today. http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza-mode-on-the-phantom-2-vision/

Anyways, the question is, can you use the ios Ground Station solution in both Phantom 2 and NAZA-M mode, or do you have to choose one of them? What I can understand form the 2.4G Bluetooth Datalink &
iPad Ground Station User Guide, I's compatible with both, but could be misunderstanding :)

Thx again!

EspenA

robininni said:
When flying via ground station programming, does the phantom have to stay within range to maintain a signal or does it keep all the information for the flight plan stored onboard and can complete its course without any 'link' to the controller or ground station?

Thanks.

The latter. Check out the many videos on Youtube which show a Phantom flying well BVR (beyond visual range). It follows the stored waypoint path.

robininni said:

Thanks.

It stores the flight. Here's sample on non gimbal Phantom -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZM4ITAe9WA

OK, so I decided over the weekend to tidy up the install by removing the need for the Can Bus module attached to the leg next to the compass. This was achieved by simply 'pinning out' the connections between the JST connector and the Can Bus connector using a test meter and then soldering up the connections to join the leads. The resulting cable looks like this.

DSC_0014.jpg

The connection should be made up as follows

canbus2jstcolours.jpg

I could have cut the grey JST connector cable shorter but you never know how it may need to be used in a future install. The cable was then simply routed up through the existing compass cable hole at the top the leg / base of the Phantom shell and routed internally so as not to foul the battery removal and insertion. I purposely utilised the existing cables to route and hold the new one rather than adding additional cable connectors.

DSC_0015.jpg

For some reason my camera phone did not store the internal pic I took with the cable routed neatly. I diod not realise until after reassembling the shell so no image uploaded here. Sorry.

DSC_0016.jpg

Then ran the aerials to keep them away from the camera (following post on RCGroups) and have ended up with a much neater install.

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

Looks fantastic. Good work. I personally am going to sell my P2V (non-plus ver) and get a Phantom 2 with mini iOSD, data link, etc. then the GS app.

wattsn now the waypoints has been released for vision plus can you post your thoughts on differences between data link with ground station and the new update? My understanding is the data link doesn't have the 500m restriction and more detail in how waypoints are created?

Also what distances are you getting on your datalink?

Hi there

I have used the DJI Vision app including GS quite extensively over the last 24 hours and it is a great addition to the app. However, the full version is just so much more complete. BTW, it works perfectly with FPV to a second screen as well (not yet tried running the GS app and the DJI Vision app together on the iPad mini yet and try switching between them). The additional features on the full GS app that I like are

Choice of turn type (stop&turn, back, adaptive)
Manual delay setting for stop&turn type turns
Ability to use/create/save waypoint templates
On screen joystick control option
Create and save waypoint route indoors with quad off

and I'm sure there are more I will uncover in time. Afraid not tested distance yet. Maybe over weekend. Correct there is no 500m restriction but not flown with it beyond that distance yet.

Hello wattsn.

I have been flying 4-5 autonomous missions myself with the just released GS app and it works great, but the lack of options and the way it handles turns, I'm so looking forward to get the iOS GS in place (which is waiting at the post office fore me:))
I'm going to install my Datalink setup this weekend and I'm really exited about your documentation here! Now, so you say that FPV and Datalink communication works flawlessly together so far? What has been your max. distance with FPV and Datalink so far?
Any last advice for installing the Datalink air end? Except updating all the firmwares maybe :)

Edit: And by the way, are you using the WiFi- booster app for P2V+ when you fly with this setup?

Thx again for a great post. Looking forward to this.

EspenA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers