P2V+ Camera Spoilt after Crash - Should I get another P2V+?

Reaction score
Hi

So I have had my P2V+ for less than a month, flown it almost every day and LOVE it. ;)

Unfortunately I did something stupid like powering up new carbon fibre props on my P2V+ on the kitchen floor. Did not realise how much faster the P2V+ goes up with carbon vs the original props. Anyway, the P2V+ shoots to the ceiling before you can shout "Phantom". 6m/sec to the 2.5m ceiling board. Erm.. And I was as gentle as I could be on the Throttle. :eek:

After the P2V+ hits the ceiling, it then drops and lands awkwardly into my 2 basin kitchen sink (which was dry at that time). 1 leg in one basin, the camera on the metal separator & the other leg in the other basin. Ouch! :cry:

Well, after that my P2V+ now does the Crazy Gimbal Dance once it's powered up. Vision App works. The props still spin up. But I have not flown since and hence not tested the GPS.

I have since brought it down to my local dealer who says its the Gimbal that's dead on 1 of the axis. Unfortunately he can't fix the Gimbal but will send it back to DJI. He assures me that it will eventually get fixed but it will take 3 to 6 months at least.

I am using my P2V+ to help me document the construction of a building. And I am so addicted to the aerial views versus what I can get on my DSLR. :D

As I am starting to experience some withdrawal symptoms from not flying and not being to see from the "up there" anymore.

Need some advice on my options now.

1. Buy another new P2V+ :?
- keep the current one as a spare and wait for the replacement camera from DJI
- hope that DJI offers a better camera upgrade soon and then buy that replacement
Pros
- I am quite familiar with the P2V+
Cons
- I think the P3 is coming out soon.
- I dislike picture quality coming from the camera on the P2V+
- No sound

2. Convert my PV2+ into a P2 and add a new Transmitter, and Gimbal for about USD$600
- but no FPV & need to buy a GoPro 4
- don't really like this option

3. Buy a new P2 and Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal, GoPro 4 and build up a FPV system :cool:
- keep my PV2+ and wait for the replacement camera to be fixed
Fears
- I think the P3 is coming out soon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: P2V+ Camera Spoilt after Crash - Should I get another P2

Thanks Happy Days for your reply.

Unfortunately I am not that technologically inclined. I think opening up my Gimbal & Camera will be seriously challenging for me.

So sending the gimbal & camera to DJI get it repaired will be a cheaper (hopefully) option then just buying a new replacement at USD $679 (currently)
- considered keeping the current spoilt gimbal for spare parts, but honestly, won't really know what to do with the spare parts.
- hoping still that sometime in the future that there will be a DJI upgrade camera the P2V+ (although I think DJI will make more money just selling a P3V++)

After reading more posts and pondering, I think I will go with the new P2 and GP4 option.
Don't really want Two P2V+s
- I want a better camera and audio.
- I was originally going to get the next generation P3 & GP4, but due to current circumstances, looks like I have to do the P2 & GP4.
- I am just hoping that DJI doesn't launch the P3 1 week after I buy the P2

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl