P2V+ Camera Quality Stills vs. Video

Reaction score
I am wondering why the Video quality of the P2V+ is far less than the Camera function on it? My video always seems grainy and also seems to not record in 60fps (even when set to it) and the camera quality is stunning.

Here are a few image stills
full

full

full

And here is a Video (I will have to upload the video later tonight. Work computer is not handling it)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyone know what the differences are and how to correct for it?

Last edited:
The camera seems better with video in some ways if you set it to narrow mode (1080p), although I find it annoying that if you pause for a still, the viewfinder doesn't then show what the still frame will capture round the sides.
Especially using RAW I agree the stills are really quite impressive from such a small sensor and very usable, low light performance is disappointing though.

The lens and sensor is decent, as demonstrated by the stills. However, the processing power is very limited. I was hoping the firmware update to 1.3.0 was able to pump higher bandwidth.
The stills are taken using the full sensor and RAW/DWG which is uncompressed. This why the file size is 20+mb per image and your screen blacks out for 5-10secs, trying to process the 1 image.
Video however does not use the full sensor and is highly compressed. 1080p@30fps is recorded at around 12mbs. It has to process and squeeze 30 images @ 1920x1080 into 12mb = 0.4mb per a still. The more compressed, the more artefacts. The vision plus camera is filming at half the rate of the GoPro3+BE.

Last edited:
The lens and sensor is decent, as demonstrated by the stills. However, the processing power is very limited. I was hoping the firmware update to 1.3.0 was able to pump higher bandwidth.
The stills are taken using the full sensor and RAW/DWG which is uncompressed. This why the file size is 20+mb per image and your screen blacks out for 5-10secs, trying to process the 1 image.
Video however does not use the full sensor and is highly compressed. 1080p@30fps is recorded at around 12mbs. It has to process and squeeze 30 images @ 1920x1080 into 12mb = 0.4mb per a still. The more compressed, the more artefacts. The vision plus camera is filming at half the rate of the GoPro3+BE.

They should make it so that part of the SD card acts as Temporary memory for processing then. In theory that would allow for a much faster processing of the video IMO.

The camera seems better with video in some ways if you set it to narrow mode (1080p), although I find it annoying that if you pause for a still, the viewfinder doesn't then show what the still frame will capture round the sides.
Especially using RAW I agree the stills are really quite impressive from such a small sensor and very usable, low light performance is disappointing though.
Then it is not true 1080P video if the processor cant handle it. I am really disappointed in the video quality. I wonder what the new phantom 3 video will be like? Should I go to the Zemuse Gimbal and GoPro? Will I lose the picture taking feature while in flight?

Read some more.. and read some more...
I have some small insight as I have a hybrid vision plus H33D gopro3+ combo. Its $10 mod that has given me the best of both. I sold of the vision plus camera because it was a pile of crap.

Consider this though:
Are you more aerial video or aerial photography..
Does 4k matter?
Zenmuse H33D = $400
Do you already own a gopro?
Do you use the gopro for other purposes?

If you cant decide, just get the P3A because at $999 it is bang for buck.
The lens and sensor are from the inspire 1 and a result, the stills and 1080p@60fps looks very promising.

Reactions: 4wd
The P3 is in another league for video quality, the nice integration makes it hard to recommend a gopro+gimbal combo unlless you have or want a gopro anyway.
The P2V+ still has it's place, for start the P3 can't (yet) do groundstation flights.
But doing this with a Vision Plus wouldn't work too well.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So if I am using a class 4 micro SD card is that taking away from my quality if the camera is pumping out 12mbs? Should I have a UHS Class SD card for better quality?

So if I am using a class 4 micro SD card is that taking away from my quality if the camera is pumping out 12mbs? Should I have a UHS Class SD card for better quality?

Class 4 is the write speed of the card. It has no relation to improving quality. It does however improve the write speed so that the RAW FPV black out will restore quicker if you have a faster write speed card. You may also find that some Class 4 cards may not work properly when recording 1080p@30fps.

Class 4 is the write speed of the card. It has no relation to improving quality. It does however improve the write speed so that the RAW FPV black out will restore quicker if you have a faster write speed card. You may also find that some Class 4 cards may not work properly when recording 1080p@30fps.
Ahh okay thats what confused me if its pumping out 12mbs a second and class 4 can only write at 4mbs what happens to the rest? The card works but the video isn't the best quality. Maybe the DJI camera is just crap haha.

Ahh okay thats what confused me if its pumping out 12mbs a second and class 4 can only write at 4mbs what happens to the rest? The card works but the video isn't the best quality. Maybe the DJI camera is just crap haha.
I'm no DJI tech, but I think the camera has a buffer also, which means on slow speed cards, it can do a delay write state and buffer on the camera side and slowly transfer to the SD card.
I recall when I first had my phantom, I was using a spare generic class 4 4gig and a number sequencing error kept appearing on the FPV. I changed to 720p@30fps and it worked. But I could not record in 1080p at all.

I'm no DJI tech, but I think the camera has a buffer also, which means on slow speed cards, it can do a delay write state and buffer on the camera side and slowly transfer to the SD card.
I recall when I first had my phantom, I was using a spare generic class 4 4gig and a number sequencing error kept appearing on the FPV. I changed to 720p@30fps and it worked. But I could not record in 1080p at all.
Ahh that makes sense. Thanks for the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers