P2 Newbie - lost in the maze.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to buy a P2 or P2V. I love the iPad integration (control and FPV) of the P2V, but I have a gopro 3+ And love the idea of the 2.7k recording, longer battery life and extensibility of the P2.
As a result, I'm leaning towards the P2 -- BUT, I have some basic questions!

1. with the P2, how does one control the gopro? Ie start/stop recording, change modes, take a picture, etc...as I understand one can't use its 2.4ghz wifi with the P2? I presume one uses an iPad app or something?
2. I presume I can't get a feed from the gopro to my iPad in flight, even using a 5ghz transmitter...so, I presume, I need an FPV kit of some sort.
3. But that means, I think, that I need one monitor for FPV and potentially another one (my iPad air) for camera control and ground station software??? If that's the case (messy), is there a mount that will let me hold both an iPad/iPad mini and my FPV monitor?

Hope that makes sense and isn't too stupid. Of course, I cd get a vision and avoid this spaghetti ... But wd have to live with the issues mentioned above,

Thanks in advance,
S.

With the P2, there is no way to use an iPad for live FPV. You could use the GoPro app and connect via wifi to view, but it will be delayed. I wouldn't recommend flying very high or far if you are using wifi on the GoPro since wifi signals interfere with the P2 transmitter signals.

Using the wifi on the GoPro is also the only way you will be able to remotely control the GoPro. Like I said, you can use the GoPro wifi while flying the Phantom, but I wouldn't unless you already have a quick shot planned and need the wifi controls or viewing. Keep in mind that you may have some erratic behavior if you start experiencing any major transmitter interference, but don't let that scare you away from having fun. I have flown around hundreds of meters away, with GoPro wifi on, and I didn't have any problems, but just be aware of how your equipment works and be responsible and safe.

So to answer your questions: You can use the GoPro app on iPad to control the GoPro via wifi and you can use the Ground Station software on the iPad, but you can't get a live feed to it. You will need an FPV system, including a transmitter, receiver, monitor, and power (for monitor and receiver). I would highly recommend the P2 over the P2V, even with the extra "mess".

for me if u already have the gopro 3+ its a no brainer, the only advantage of the vision as far as i can see is you can remotely take a shot, and slightly longer flight times. a fully loaded p2 might only fly for 16-18 mins but this is still quite an impressive time. you would just set your gopro to timelapse or video and time lapse together and frame the shot in your fpv screen, remember the gopro itself is whats relaying your fpv video, so what you see is what you are recording. dont be put off by understanding and configuring equipment, a company like heliguy.com will sell it as a complete package so its ready to fly, and remember a p2 will have a control range of 1km standard, and a fpv video range of 1.2 km with the avl58 standard. although the vision is still very good, it will always be compromised by the 1 axis gimbal

skavan said:
Hi all,

I want to buy a P2 or P2V. I love the iPad integration (control and FPV) of the P2V, but I have a gopro 3+ And love the idea of the 2.7k recording, longer battery life and extensibility of the P2.
As a result, I'm leaning towards the P2 -- BUT, I have some basic questions!

2. I presume I can't get a feed from the gopro to my iPad in flight, even using a 5ghz transmitter...so, I presume, I need an FPV kit of some sort.
3. But that means, I think, that I need one monitor for FPV and potentially another one (my iPad air) for camera control and ground station software??? If that's the case (messy), is there a mount that will let me hold both an iPad/iPad mini and my FPV monitor?

Hope that makes sense and isn't too stupid. Of course, I cd get a vision and avoid this spaghetti ... But wd have to live with the issues mentioned above,

Thanks in advance,
S.

You can get a feed from the GoPro to your iPad but the cost is not trivial ($700). That won't give you GoPro control. You'll have to start the camera via the button before you take off and record the entire flight.

http://www.teradek.com/pages/clip

I'm going to check the Teradek Clip out at NAB in a couple of months to see how well it works. I may replace my analog FPV with it if its good enough.

neil64 said:
With the P2, there is no way to use an iPad for live FPV. You could use the GoPro app and connect via wifi to view, but it will be delayed. I wouldn't recommend flying very high or far if you are using wifi on the GoPro since wifi signals interfere with the P2 transmitter signals.

Using the wifi on the GoPro is also the only way you will be able to remotely control the GoPro. Like I said, you can use the GoPro wifi while flying the Phantom, but I wouldn't unless you already have a quick shot planned and need the wifi controls or viewing. Keep in mind that you may have some erratic behavior if you start experiencing any major transmitter interference, but don't let that scare you away from having fun. I have flown around hundreds of meters away, with GoPro wifi on, and I didn't have any problems, but just be aware of how your equipment works and be responsible and safe.

So to answer your questions: You can use the GoPro app on iPad to control the GoPro via wifi and you can use the Ground Station software on the iPad, but you can't get a live feed to it. You will need an FPV system, including a transmitter, receiver, monitor, and power (for monitor and receiver). I would highly recommend the P2 over the P2V, even with the extra "mess".

Ummm.... this is good news! I keep seeing these bold type warnings saying DON''T OPERATE BOTH! In any event:
1. Anyone know of a mount that will support two monitors (iPad and FPV)
2. Based on the above, what does the BTU bring to the table...?

By the way, thanks for the great input and insight of all the responders.

skavan said:
neil64 said:

Ummm.... this is good news! I keep seeing these bold type warnings saying DON''T OPERATE BOTH! In any event:
1. Anyone know of a mount that will support two monitors (iPad and FPV)
2. Based on the above, what does the BTU bring to the table...?

By the way, thanks for the great input and insight of all the responders.

You can not use the go pro WiFi on a phantom 2. You could use it on the phantom vision. Using wifi on a non-vision phantom will cause loss of the control link.

shortyuk said:
skavan, im still not sure why you want 2 monitors??
Monitor 1 for FPV
Monitor 2 (iPad) for ground station control, BTU adjustments and potentially gopro control.

Am I being dense in my thinking here?

1km range and video quality is what did it for me. Awesome to be able to fly so far. There is a huge difference in image quality between the Vision vs. the GoPro/Zenmuse gimbal setup. I just don't like watching the youtube videos of Vision flights. Too much shake and bounce unless you do some serious after flight video editing. I have the P2 with the Zenmuse, iosd, and Fatshark googles and I LOVE it. Most awesome "toy" I have ever had. I routinely fly it out to 1000 meters which is far beyond the Vision range.

same for me, i have avl58, and the rest is same as your setup, i did 7.5 km fpv night flight other day, my video is on youtube, furthest point from home is 1.1km, you could only dream of doing that in a vision, plus in high cross winds the vision cant keep the camera level, im a quad novice, with no video editing experience and my results so far have been great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VYitaEbkyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7f07ssebjE

watch in hd for best results

shortyuk said:
same for me, i have avl58, and the rest is same as your setup, i did 7.5 km fpv night flight other day, my video is on youtube, furthest point from home is 1.1km, you could only dream of doing that in a vision, plus in high cross winds the vision cant keep the camera level, im a quad novice, with no video editing experience and my results so far have been great

Shorty, do you just put the gopro onto video record when you launch .. ? Do you have anyway to take adhoc hires pictures in flight?
Is the AVL and the goggles mentioned earlier compatible or do you have a different FPV?

S.

skavan said:
shortyuk said:

Shorty, do you just put the gopro onto video record when you launch .. ? Do you have anyway to take adhoc hires pictures in flight?
Is the AVL and the goggles mentioned earlier compatible or do you have a different FPV?

S.

Unfortunately you can not control the GoPro in flight. You have to stop and start it while the Phantom is on the ground.

Instead of the AVL just buy Fatsharks that come with the transmitter and receiver built in. No muss, no fuss. I have Attitudes. Really easy to set up. The only difficulty in the whole setup is you have to solder wires to connect the iosd, tx, and phantom all together. Just wire to wire solder though so it is fairly easy. But if you can wait there is a UK website that will be selling a harness soon so it will be completely plug and play except you will have to remove the phantom shell to plug it in.
The iosd is well worth the trouble in my opinion. It already saved me once when I got distracted flying around with about 500 geese and I happened to glance over at my battery % remaining. Just barely made it back from nearly 1 km away.

LandYachtMedia said:
skavan said:
shortyuk said:

S.

Unfortunately you can not control the GoPro in flight. You have to stop and start it while the Phantom is on the ground.

I guess that means NO still photography that takes advantage of the 14MP camera? :(

The way you do still photos is to put the camera in time lapse mode with a short interval. Say 1-2 seconds. Then you fly up and frame your shots. Another issue with the GoPro is it doesn't output video when it is in timelapse mode so you can't use your video downlink for framing.

I've requested GoPro change this behavior in a future firmware. I have no idea if it will happen.

sorry for the late reply, yes start gopro before launch, if you want photos, set it to timelapse, it will take a shot every 2,5,30 seconds etc, not sure if you can use goggles with an avl 58, i use a 7 inch screen mounted on my tx

i think you can record video and timelapse together, which does transmit video with the downlink

shortyuk said:
i think you can record video and timelapse together, which does transmit video with the downlink

It does but the still image quality suffers quite a bit. Try it though and see it it meets your needs.

LandYachtMedia said:
shortyuk said:

It does but the still image quality suffers quite a bit. Try it though and see it it meets your needs.

I'm not sure about the Hero3, but the manual for my Hero3+ says you'll get 8 megapixel images when recording video and stills simultaneosly if shooting in 1080P or 720P (16:9) aspect ratio, but you get 12 megapixel stills if shooting 1440P (4:3).

I hope this helps...

LG

Hi, not sure where you ended up with this.
I have been building a tripod mounted FPV system for my P2 H3-3D and decided to mount an ipad for the DJI GS as well, after much sourcing this is what I have ordered.
Vanguard multi mount from Cambuy in Sydney, this is a 450mm arm that mounts on a std tripod and has 2 adjustable camera mounts and 2 1/4 -20 threads on the ends, about $100 with postage.
A Grifiti Nootle iPad mount with ball head adaptor, about $50 with postage
AI bought 2 extra ball head mounts on ebay for about $10, one to mount my 12.1 FPV Monitor and the other to screw on the end of the bar angled up.
I also bought a cheap Gopro monopod on ebay as an extendable mount for the 5.8ghz receiver and antenna which will screw onto the bar end ball head, the reason for this is to raise the receiver up a bit as I found people walking in front of it blotted out the video signal.
I will post a pic once it is finished.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl