Ottawa - Gatineau National Capital Drone Society

Good to have options...
a) $150usd (1.35cdn)+"international" shipping+"Oh I didn't realize I should have asked that"
b) 1 year drone flying in Ottawa is really only 7 or 8 months :) ...you can go over and test the controller for compatibility with your P3A :)
it would be nice if DJI comps you with an equal $ amount of accessories

Looking for someone to help/coach in my first flight. Anything happening in Ottawa?
New Rules for (From)(Ottawa​
(1) Not higher than 300ft above ground
(2) 250 ft from buildings,cars animals & people.
(3) Not at night...
(4) Not in clouds.... anymore.
(5) Over open air assembly of Persons....​

Things have changed in Ottawa..

Also must have contact info attached to drone at all times...

Times are changing in Ottawa.

.​

Hello,

While I'm new to PhantomPilots.com and not actually a Phantom owner, I'm visiting from the sister MavicPilots.com site. Hopefully Mavic pilots are welcome? :)

I had posted this over at MavicPilots, but thought I would try cross-posting here. In short, I'm trying to find places to fly that are legal under the new rules. So far, my list is pretty short:
  • Mer Bleue Bog
  • Gatineau Park (maybe - you can't take off/land from within the park, but you can fly over the parts that are unrestricted/uncontrolled airspace. Just need to find a suitable/legal take off/landing area.)
  • Some spots along the Rideau Trail. E.g., there is parking at 45.072140°,-75.819420°.
  • A tiny sliver of the Greenbelt along the Ottawa River on Greenbelt Trail 10. Specifically, between 45.361352°, -75.874012° and 45.361411°, -75.866752°.
Unfortunately many of these ideas rely on NCC property. To the best of my knowledge, the NCC has not banned drones on their property (yet), so they remain available. Looking forward to any other ideas!

Cheers.

Reactions: OTTONTCA
A Must See Video (New Rules).

Need to understand our new Drone rules (Laws) ? From a nice local guy.? Please check his video out, very nice..... leaves you really thinking about your droning in Canada.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hey, another Ottawa (Kanata) flier here (Mavic pilot actually). I just posted that I'm looking to kick off a Canada Wide organization specifically to help with drone laws in Canada, trying to bring similar value to members that MAAC does for traditional RC fliers.

Other thread about it here:
New Canada Wide Drone Organization - UUAG

Or our website directly:
UUAG – United Un-manned Aviators Guild

I'd love to talk to those organizing the National Capital Drone Society about collaborating.

Also for those of you looking for areas to fly, I've been doing some flights out of Shirley's Bay Park, I'm from Kanata, and Shirley's Bay is in a bit of a hole between all the no-fly zones, and the military airspace around Connaught. If we keep it to the woods east of the military land, I think we're in the spirit of sustaining the existing laws (with the exception of the "animals" and the dreaded "etc" of course lol). When people have come around I land and pack up, but this time of year minimal people around (sometimes a couple cars at the boat launch, but the other parking lot more south is 75m from the main lot, and you can fly from there over the woods).

Would love to organize a local meetup though at some point in the future, maybe find somewhere a bit bigger that we can safely fly within the rules.

Anyway, who knows maybe I'll meet some of you sometime soon.

In the meantime, if you're interested, check out our site, I'd love to hear your feedback and suggestions, and if you like you can pre-register your interest in membership (and fill out a short survey of what you'd like to see from the organization).

I've also been talking to Craig (from Cruising Off Duty, posted in the previous post) and he's also a supporter of our group.
And I've been working with other youtube channels in Canada, as well as trying to partner up with NODE. And the owners of these forums as well. To gain support, and get the word out.

Thanks!

New Rules for (From)(Ottawa​
(1) Not higher than 300ft above ground
(2) 250 ft from buildings,cars animals & people.
(3) Not at night...
(4) Not in clouds.... anymore.
(5) Over open air assembly of Persons....​

Things have changed in Ottawa..

Also must have contact info attached to drone at all times...

Times are changing in Ottawa.

.​

Greetings OTTONTCA I have been following the thread of Dan Seguin for more info regarding if there are likeminded people who meet to fly their drones in the area of Ottawa.
I am a newbie in that regard and I am receiving my drone (Autel X-Star) on Monday july 24
I don't know if there are any other Autel owners in Ottawa and please forgive my trespassing on this fine site.
I lam from Embrun.

Take care All

Norm

Would anyone happen to have a Mavic ribbon cable (for the camera/gimble)? Or know where I can purchase one in Ottawa? I've tried all the normal hobby spots but no one stocks anything.

Edit: The answer was Amazon Prime.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31