OSMO Mobile & iPhone 7 is unusable

Reaction score
Hi to all, I've tested my Osmo Mobile with an iPhone 6 and an iPhone 7.

The footage of my iPhone 6 was good, but obviously the cameras in newer generations are better.
The gimbal did a good job! Even action-shots where i was running and jumping were good.

My biggest problem:

Using the osmo mobile with the iphone 7 (that has OIS) is a pain. Although performing a "ninja-walk" and really practicing hard to get smooth movements - the results weren't acceptable. There always was a little bobbing - not much but still noticeable. Also i wasn't able to reduce the bobbing effect still left in post.
Using the front camera did bring better results. The shots were stable and running / jumping was possible without bobbing. But i don't want to use the frontcamera for the most time.

The Osmo Mobile combined with the DJI Go brings many good features but at the same time many problems:
- the app crashes a lot
- osmo always needs a few tries to get connected via osmo bluetooth
- sometimes the osmo suddenly stops stabilising without any error message - a double tap on the trigger brings it back to life though
- the above mentioned problems makes many functions useless
- motions timelapse suddenly becomes motionless and the gimbal/"camera" just floats arounds
- during normal recording the "camera"/gimbal suddenly floats around without holding it's supposed position
- active track stops working - the camera needs to be centered an then new positioned

I understand that technical restrictions may limit the way a gimbal can stabilize the image but in combination with a phone that tries to do the same thing for me the osmo mobile is not usable. This device is used not only by me, but by my friends and in all day life. But with those bobbing effects and the mentioned problems I think i'll maybe need to wait until the problems are solved or the technic is improved. I will return my Osmo Mobile.
Thank you taking time to read.

Hi to all, I've tested my Osmo Mobile with an iPhone 6 and an iPhone 7.

The footage of my iPhone 6 was good, but obviously the cameras in newer generations are better.
The gimbal did a good job! Even action-shots where i was running and jumping were good.

My biggest problem:

Using the osmo mobile with the iphone 7 (that has OIS) is a pain. Although performing a "ninja-walk" and really practicing hard to get smooth movements - the results weren't acceptable. There always was a little bobbing - not much but still noticeable. Also i wasn't able to reduce the bobbing effect still left in post.
Using the front camera did bring better results. The shots were stable and running / jumping was possible without bobbing. But i don't want to use the frontcamera for the most time.

The Osmo Mobile combined with the DJI Go brings many good features but at the same time many problems:
- the app crashes a lot
- osmo always needs a few tries to get connected via osmo bluetooth
- sometimes the osmo suddenly stops stabilising without any error message - a double tap on the trigger brings it back to life though
- the above mentioned problems makes many functions useless
- motions timelapse suddenly becomes motionless and the gimbal/"camera" just floats arounds
- during normal recording the "camera"/gimbal suddenly floats around without holding it's supposed position
- active track stops working - the camera needs to be centered an then new positioned

I understand that technical restrictions may limit the way a gimbal can stabilize the image but in combination with a phone that tries to do the same thing for me the osmo mobile is not usable. This device is used not only by me, but by my friends and in all day life. But with those bobbing effects and the mentioned problems I think i'll maybe need to wait until the problems are solved or the technic is improved. I will return my Osmo Mobile.
Thank you taking time to read.

This is nothing new and cannot be fixed. The iPhone has a mechanical stabilizer that cannot be turned off. Since it’s always “on” it will fight the gimbal. The only close solution is using Filmic Pro. Does a better job. And it talks to the gimbal natively. Try that first.

Any app that says it can turn off the iPhone’s stabilizer can only turn off digital stabilization not mechanical.

I’m surprised you found this out so late to the game. There are tons of YouTube videos that mention the conflict.

I still have mine and use it knowing the limitations. FYI. The Osmo app is the worst app for filming. Even the native iOS camera app does a better job.

This is nothing new and cannot be fixed. The iPhone has a mechanical stabilizer that cannot be turned off. Since it’s always “on” it will fight the gimbal. The only close solution is using Filmic Pro. Does a better job. And it talks to the gimbal natively. Try that first.

Any app that says it can turn off the iPhone’s stabilizer can only turn off digital stabilization not mechanical.

I’m surprised you found this out so late to the game. There are tons of YouTube videos that mention the conflict.

I still have mine and use it knowing the limitations. FYI. The Osmo app is the worst app for filming. Even the native iOS camera app does a better job.

But how come the combination Osmo 2 and Filmic pro works like a charm? I guess the issue is not solely the OIS, because that would be the same for both apps. There must be some kind of software problem with the DJI GO. I'm searching the net for an upgrade - for the DJI GO or firmware of Osmo 2.
No luck so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4