Osmo Mobile 2 vs. Osmo Mobile 1

Reaction score
I put together a quick video comparison between the original Osmo Mobile and the new Osmo Mobile 2, if anyone is interested in what the other (paid?) reviewers have left out:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just finished watching your whine about the Osmo Mobile 2 prior to actually getting your hands on one. In it, you intimate you'll do a follow-up review when/if you get the new model. Don't see one yet.

My take on the negatives you prematurely outline appears to be parallel to the negatives Mavic Pro owners had/have with the Mavic Air: they don't see it as an improvement over their current possession. There is some credence to that from a drone perspective when one evaluates the OccuSync and flight time on the MP vs. MA, and many of those Pro owners are actually just waiting for the Mavic Pro 2 to be made available within the next few weeks. That makes total sense.

From a mercantile perspective, I would guess DJI is looking at a different market for the Mavic Air. Unless someone wanted the new Quickshot modes and/or a smaller payload, there's no need for a Mavic Pro owner to get the Air. Still, they complain about the Air when it's obviously targeting a different market: those who want a smaller payload and/or those with a smaller budget. As a Phantom 3 SE owner, I scooped up the Air because of it's much smaller/lighter footprint, which helps when traveling and/or flying from city to city, country to country. I've now sold my Phantom and am exclusively an Air owner. I actually didn't want to spend the additional $500 or so dollars for the Pro.

The same seems to hold true with the original Osmo Mobile and the Osmo Mobile 2. It's targeting a different market: Millenials. I mean, for crying out loud we're talking about a device for people that use a telephone for a camera. From your video, you strongly believe(d) the original would work better with your telephone than the new version. But it's for a different market: those who use their telephone for everything and don't have a lot of money, but may want to become known on YouTube.

I'm a retiree on a fixed income who also happens to be an advanced DSLR hobbyist. It always gets me when I see people taking photos with their telephones. Still, I confess I have begun to use my telephone for video. DJI got me into video once I purchased a Phantom 3 SE. I could see a possible use for additional video to my flight ones by cutting in a little handheld video here and there during the post process. With such the case, I got an Osmo Mobile 2, my first ever experience in a) using telephone video and b) with a gimbel. I'm quite happy with it. It works great. I would NOT have purchased one if it had been any more expensive. I've seen a plethora of YouTube videos by those who have the original model complaining about the changes/differences. Most of us Mobile 2 owners don't miss any of that because there is no adjustment for us other than what any owner of a new device might experience--there's no other point of reference. And the quality of what we have is fine. The price, obviously, reflects ways DJI retooled the new model to bring the cost down, but again, most of us Mobile 2 users considered getting it because of the price and we have no other point of reference.

And it works great. I boondock out into the wild quite a bit, and the 15 hour battery life is greatly appreciated. I am a little disappointed at the way using the Mobile 2 sucks the telephone's battery, but plugging into the Mobile 2 while I shoot remedies that just fine. Recharging the Mobile 2 with battery packs and the deep cell battery from the RV that I already had anyway because of boondocking makes recharging it a non-issue. It also recharges my iPad mini.

I guess my confusion is your inability to see how the Mobile 2 is so obviously targeted to a different demographic than those who have invested so heavily into the original--outlined by your photo of all the accessories you state you can no longer use with the new model. My suggestion for your next instance of preacquisition video, instead of intimating it's lousy because of this or that, you might break it into 2 portions: concerns about what it MIGHT mean for current model owners and how it MIGHT be beneficial to those on lower budgets who are just getting into the telephone video activity. From my perspective, it would have given much more credence to your post.

Just one guy's take. Be well.

Last edited:
Reactions: ravedog
I think the problem is one of naming. Adding a “2” to the model implies next gen or better than. As Gr8fulTed superbly pointed out, the new model has a different target audience and some different or missing features. But look at the price.... that should be your first clue how the product might be something else or a “lite” model.

Reactions: Gr8fulTed
Just finished watching your whine about the Osmo Mobile 2 prior to actually getting your hands on one. In it, you intimate you'll do a follow-up review when/if you get the new model. Don't see one yet.

My take on the negatives you prematurely outline appears to be parallel to the negatives Mavic Pro owners had/have with the Mavic Air: they don't see it as an improvement over their current possession. There is some credence to that from a drone perspective when one evaluates the OccuSync and flight time on the MP vs. MA, and many of those Pro owners are actually just waiting for the Mavic Pro 2 to be made available within the next few weeks. That makes total sense.

From a mercantile perspective, I would guess DJI is looking at a different market for the Mavic Air. Unless someone wanted the new Quickshot modes and/or a smaller payload, there's no need for a Mavic Pro owner to get the Air. Still, they complain about the Air when it's obviously targeting a different market: those who want a smaller payload and/or those with a smaller budget. As a Phantom 3 SE owner, I scooped up the Air because of it's much smaller/lighter footprint, which helps when traveling and/or flying from city to city, country to country. I've now sold my Phantom and am exclusively an Air owner. I actually didn't want to spend the additional $500 or so dollars for the Pro.

The same seems to hold true with the original Osmo Mobile and the Osmo Mobile 2. It's targeting a different market: Millenials. I mean, for crying out loud we're talking about a device for people that use a telephone for a camera. From your video, you strongly believe(d) the original would work better with your telephone than the new version. But it's for a different market: those who use their telephone for everything and don't have a lot of money, but may want to become known on YouTube.

I'm a retiree on a fixed income who also happens to be an advanced DSLR hobbyist. It always gets me when I see people taking photos with their telephones. Still, I confess I have begun to use my telephone for video. DJI got me into video once I purchased a Phantom 3 SE. I could see a possible use for additional video to my flight ones by cutting in a little handheld video here and there during the post process. With such the case, I got an Osmo Mobile 2, my first ever experience in a) using telephone video and b) with a gimbel. I'm quite happy with it. It works great. I would NOT have purchased one if it had been any more expensive. I've seen a plethora of YouTube videos by those who have the original model complaining about the changes/differences. Most of us Mobile 2 owners don't miss any of that because there is no adjustment for us other than what any owner of a new device might experience--there's no other point of reference. And the quality of what we have is fine. The price, obviously, reflects ways DJI retooled the new model to bring the cost down, but again, most of us Mobile 2 users considered getting it because of the price and we have no other point of reference.

And it works great. I boondock out into the wild quite a bit, and the 15 hour battery life is greatly appreciated. I am a little disappointed at the way using the Mobile 2 sucks the telephone's battery, but plugging into the Mobile 2 while I shoot remedies that just fine. Recharging the Mobile 2 with battery packs and the deep cell battery from the RV that I already had anyway because of boondocking makes recharging it a non-issue. It also recharges my iPad mini.

I guess my confusion is your inability to see how the Mobile 2 is so obviously targeted to a different demographic than those who have invested so heavily into the original--outlined by your photo of all the accessories you state you can no longer use with the new model. My suggestion for your next instance of preacquisition video, instead of intimating it's lousy because of this or that, you might break it into 2 portions: concerns about what it MIGHT mean for current model owners and how it MIGHT be beneficial to those on lower budgets who are just getting into the telephone video activity. From my perspective, it would have given much more credence to your post.

Just one guy's take. Be well.

I believe I specifically mentioned that in the video.

It is targeted at the budget market that normally would buy a less capable knockoff by essentially knocking off the knockoffs.

That does not change the fact though that it IS a far less capable device. Yes, it’s cheaper, but for honestly not that much more you can get something far better. That is the point of the video.

No, I have not done a follow up because, as I stated in the video, I will not waste money on a Osmo Mobile 2. If I get sent one for review, fine, other than that I will stick with the original model. A hands on comparison is not strictly necessary in this case as the deficiencies are obvious.

Let me ask you this, if you did not have your RV with you, and instead did real camping, how long would that “15 hour” battery last you when you have to keep using it to recharge your phone? Once it’s empty, then what do you do? The battery power in the device is irrelevant if the phone doesn’t match it, and if you keep using it to recharge your phone you cannot claim to have anything NEAR 15 hours. Meanwhile when it does empty you have no ability to change it. And what do you do when the battery eventually goes bad? You have to replace your entire device. I just have to replace the battery. Now which one is more expensive?

I think the problem is one of naming. Adding a “2” to the model implies next gen or better than. As Gr8fulTed superbly pointed out, the new model has a different target audience and some different or missing features. But look at the price.... that should be your first clue how the product might be something else or a “lite” model.

This. It’s deceptive. That is why I felt the need to push the video out, some people, and you see it a lot on other boards, see the “2” and automatically think it’s better, even to the point of numerous people saying that they sold their Osmo Mobile 1s for money to get in on the pre order for the Osmo Mobile 2. I wanted to make a video illustrating that that was a bad idea, that the 2 is NOT better, and is in fact worse.

I believe I specifically mentioned that in the video.

It is targeted at the budget market that normally would buy a less capable knockoff by essentially knocking off the knockoffs.

That does not change the fact though that it IS a far less capable device. Yes, it’s cheaper, but for honestly not that much more you can get something far better. That is the point of the video.

No, I have not done a follow up because, as I stated in the video, I will not waste money on a Osmo Mobile 2. If I get sent one for review, fine, other than that I will stick with the original model. A hands on comparison is not strictly necessary in this case as the deficiencies are obvious.

Let me ask you this, if you did not have your RV with you, and instead did real camping, how long would that “15 hour” battery last you when you have to keep using it to recharge your phone? Once it’s empty, then what do you do? The battery power in the device is irrelevant if the phone doesn’t match it, and if you keep using it to recharge your phone you cannot claim to have anything NEAR 15 hours. Meanwhile when it does empty you have no ability to change it. And what do you do when the battery eventually goes bad? You have to replace your entire device. I just have to replace the battery. Now which one is more expensive?

I really cannot address the statement that the 2 is a far less capable device as I have no point of reference since I never used the first model, nor would I purchase it at that price. I do think that ravedog's comment regarding the name is valid including "lite" or some other name, although I'm not entirely convinced with the "deceptive" labeling about it. It could very well be cultural, since the company is not a Western company. This appears to show up in its customer service fiascos that seem prevalent enough to cause many YouTube videos dedicated to it.

As to your questions regarding "real camping"--could you please define real camping? Isn't real camping just a sleeping bag, a pup tent, and matches to start a fire to cook your food, and ZERO technology of ANY kind? That's what is was for me in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

But for the moment, let's address your point regarding what to do when the Osmo Mobile 2 battery runs out of juice. The same thing as when your Osmo Intellegent Battery runs out of juice. Let's say you have 4 of those batteries ($140). I'm still going to get approximately 9 more hours of use out of my Mobile 2 than you will out of your original, based on the specs of each battery.--or perhaps about the same based on my experience if I'm also using it to power the phone. That is, if neither of us brought battery packs for recharging, or have an automobile recharger in the car. You also made a point regarding replacing the entire device once the battery life is over, rather than just purchasing new batteries as you are able to do. Fair enough. However, my sense is that I will be dead before my battery is, so I think it was a good purchase for me. And there is also a decent chance that by the time your batteries all die, DJI might just have discontinued them. Apple certainly drops support for its devices after a certain time.

I don't agree with your postulation that one is "less capable" than the other. They are just different and for different reasons. And I say that as one who has never used the original, just as you are one that seems to have never used the 2, so I could very well be incorrect about that.

Despite your protestations to the contrary, on this side of the screen your original video on the subject came across more of resentment and less of informational, from a motive point of view. I'm not sure that is what you were intending. I was just suggesting a different approach the next time. The decision to do that is up to you, of course.

Be well.

The Osmo mobile can be charged with usb. I’m sorry but RV? What vehicle past 1960 doesn’t have a cigarette lighter.

As far as worse? No it’s quite capable... provides the same optical stabilization as the original... even allows for vertical videos as well. It’s made of cheaper composite materials (lighter) and no interchangeable batteries (cheaper). As a stabilizer you lose nothing compared to the first one. Maybe in design or additional features theres a difference.

Why the hell are you talking about a device you have no first hand experience with? This whole thread is extremely trolly. Let’s speculate and have an opinion about things we don’t know. God, the internet is so full of noise.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Why the hell are you talking about a device you have no first hand experience with? This whole thread is extremely trolly. Let’s speculate and have an opinion about things we don’t know. God, the internet is so full of noise.

Did you watch the video? The things I pointed out did not require having one in hand.

Do I need to have one to know it has no rosette mount? No.
Do I know what it means not having a rosette mount? Yes.
Do I need to have one to know the battery is non removeable? No.
Do I know the difference between a non removeable battery and a removeable one? Yes.
Do I need to have one to know that a non removeable battery is a problem? No.
Do I know that batteries go bad eventually? Yes.
Do I need to have one to know what happens when a non removeable battery goes bad? No.
Do I need to have one to learn the difference in button layout? No.
Do I know the button layout on the 1? Yes.
Can I form an opinion as to which layout is better? Yes.

The Osmo mobile can be charged with usb. I’m sorry but RV? What vehicle past 1960 doesn’t have a cigarette lighter.

As far as worse? No it’s quite capable... provides the same optical stabilization as the original... even allows for vertical videos as well. It’s made of cheaper composite materials (lighter) and no interchangeable batteries (cheaper). As a stabilizer you lose nothing compared to the first one. Maybe in design or additional features theres a difference.

Correct. Both will stabilize the video. However only one of them can use all the Osmo accessories, and has a removeable battery. It is not the Osmo Mobile 2. Can you mount an external light or microphone? I can. I can also use all the other Osmo accessories and since my batteries are removeable, I can carry as many as I need, you are limited to one. That is why I say the Osmo Mobile 1 is clearly better.

Yes, the 2 is lighter (and also presumably flimsier), and has a long battery, and can even recharge the phone (at a cost to the battery) but that is about all it has going for it other than portrait mode (which makes no sense, vertical video sucks).

Correct. Both will stabilize the video. However only one of them can use all the Osmo accessories, and has a removeable battery. It is not the Osmo Mobile 2. Can you mount an external light or microphone? I can. I can also use all the other Osmo accessories and since my batteries are removeable, I can carry as many as I need, you are limited to one. That is why I say the Osmo Mobile 1 is clearly better.

Yes, the 2 is lighter (and also presumably flimsier), and has a long battery, and can even recharge the phone (at a cost to the battery) but that is about all it has going for it other than portrait mode (which makes no sense, vertical video sucks).

Actually, RCGEEK makes a nice 1ft. long USB to Lightning cable with a 90 degree angle on the Lightning end that lets me plug it into the phone and then snuggle it up against the gimbel, making it quite easy to do landscape recording while it's charging. It merely takes a slight rebalancing. Works great in landscape with out noticeable stress on the motors/battery. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076Q4V64L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really cannot address the statement that the 2 is a far less capable device as I have no point of reference since I never used the first model, nor would I purchase it at that price. I do think that ravedog's comment regarding the name is valid including "lite" or some other name, although I'm not entirely convinced with the "deceptive" labeling about it. It could very well be cultural, since the company is not a Western company. This appears to show up in its customer service fiascos that seem prevalent enough to cause many YouTube videos dedicated to it.

As to your questions regarding "real camping"--could you please define real camping? Isn't real camping just a sleeping bag, a pup tent, and matches to start a fire to cook your food, and ZERO technology of ANY kind? That's what is was for me in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

But for the moment, let's address your point regarding what to do when the Osmo Mobile 2 battery runs out of juice. The same thing as when your Osmo Intellegent Battery runs out of juice. Let's say you have 4 of those batteries ($140). I'm still going to get approximately 9 more hours of use out of my Mobile 2 than you will out of your original, based on the specs of each battery.--or perhaps about the same based on my experience if I'm also using it to power the phone. That is, if neither of us brought battery packs for recharging, or have an automobile recharger in the car. You also made a point regarding replacing the entire device once the battery life is over, rather than just purchasing new batteries as you are able to do. Fair enough. However, my sense is that I will be dead before my battery is, so I think it was a good purchase for me. And there is also a decent chance that by the time your batteries all die, DJI might just have discontinued them. Apple certainly drops support for its devices after a certain time.

I don't agree with your postulation that one is "less capable" than the other. They are just different and for different reasons. And I say that as one who has never used the original, just as you are one that seems to have never used the 2, so I could very well be incorrect about that.

Despite your protestations to the contrary, on this side of the screen your original video on the subject came across more of resentment and less of informational, from a motive point of view. I'm not sure that is what you were intending. I was just suggesting a different approach the next time. The decision to do that is up to you, of course.

Be well.

The reasons why the Osmo Mobile 1 is better are laid out in the video. It can use the Osmo accessories, has a removeable battery, has metal vs. plastic construction, and has a better button layout.

You say you go RV camping. What if you wanted to document an actual backwoods camping trip where you can’t recharge your batteries and are limited by what you brought with you? I can recharge my phone with battery banks and a crank charger, I don’t need the Osmo Mobile to do it. As for the batteries, a standard Osmo battery will last 3-4 hours in the Osmo Mobile, more if you use the high capacity battery. I can carry 5 standard batteries ($20 each on Amazon) and exceed the capacity of your Osmo Mobile 2, and even if every single one of them went bad, my replacement cost would still be less than yours. They will all easily fit in a pocket, with room to spare. Then, when I can recharge them, I can recharge them in less time than you too (quad charger, plus the included single charger).

I also have the option of using wall power instead of the battery.

Actually, RCGEEK makes a nice 1ft. long USB to Lightning cable with a 90 degree angle on the Lightning end that lets me plug it into the phone and then snuggle it up against the gimbel, making it quite easy to do landscape recording while it's charging. It merely takes a slight rebalancing. Works great in landscape with out noticeable stress on the motors/battery. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076Q4V64L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don’t doubt it. But if your Osmo Mobile 2 is also acting as your phone’s battery it will not last anywhere near 15 hours.

I have a great device. You like yours. We have not convinced one another and are not likely to do so.

I was merely suggesting there could be a different way to get your point across to more people. But one must be open to such a suggestion.

Be well.

Pretty easy to use a industry standard tripod mount accessory to use all of your "Osmo Accessory" types of gadgets. I've used both... One's not better than the other...they are just slightly different in build quality with different battery and trigger. By no means is the Osmo 2 cheap feeling and it will get the job done just the same. For the record, the battery will outlast your phone 10x over...By the time the battery goes bad in the O2, there will be some other new $100 gadget out there. Charging time is relative. Yes you can charge them separately, but I could never imagine using it for so many hours that I couldn't throw it on a car charger, wall or battery brick for a few minutes to top it off.

The O1 does have some different possibly advantageous features...But to poo poo the O2 over very minor differences (IMHO) at half the price is sorta self justifying. FWIW

Last edited:
It generally gets me when I see individuals taking photographs with their phones. All things considered, I admit I have started to utilize my phone for video. DJI got me into video once I acquired a Phantom 3 SE. I could see a conceivable use for extra video to my flight ones by cutting in a little handheld video all over amid the post procedure. With such the case, I got an Osmo Mobile 2, my first since forever involvement in an) utilizing phone video and b) with a gimbel. I'm very content with it. It works extraordinary. I would NOT have obtained one on the off chance that it had been any more costly. I've seen a plenty of YouTube recordings by the individuals who have the first model whining about the progressions/contrasts. The vast majority of us Mobile 2 proprietors don't miss any of that on the grounds that there is no alteration for us other than what any proprietor of another gadget may encounter - there's no other perspective. Also, the nature of what we have is fine. The cost, clearly, reflects ways DJI retooled the new model to cut the expense down, however once more, the majority of us Mobile 2 clients considered getting it on account of the cost and we have no other perspective.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic