Old Motors vs New Motors

Reaction score
Hi all,
Not sure if this has been asked a million times on this forum, but
are there any differences between the new motors and the old motors on the P3 P/A
Cheers

It's been proven many times but I'll repeat it again. New motor are vastly superior to old motors. It's a LOT more quiet and more efficient giving you extra flying time (about 2-3 minutes extra). If you're buying new p3 make sure you get the new and improved motors.

Just reading through tons and tons of thread.

I forgot to mention that having new motors reduce your chance of getting stress crack to about 0.1%.
Interesting stuff. I read though countless threads myself and have yet to come across those findings.

It may (or not) be superior, I for myself believe they wouldn't change it for nothing (even though there might be reasons other than just increased efficiency of course). But I'm not sure it's "vastly" superior, or by how much. If I was going for another P3 I'd get the new one, but I'm pretty happy with my 'old' one which is flying perfectly for 3 months.

Interesting stuff. I read though countless threads myself and have yet to come across those findings.

+1.

My cousin cracked his P3P (going back to DJI right now) with new motors and shell after 3 weeks. Mine is old AND 3 months old, hundreds of flights, no cracks.

It may (or not) be superior, I for myself believe they wouldn't change it for nothing
DJI is always making small improvements to their motors. It's not uncommon for them to upgrade the motors in between a new model release. They recently released upgraded motors for the Inspire 1 too.

In the Facebook post linked above, DJI support noted the following:
"I don't know who is telling you the new motors are more stable. I have the original P3P and the new P3P I cannot subjectively tell the difference. That means while flying. There maybe slight changes in the specs but I cannot tell when I am on the sticks."

Yep, I flew my P3P alongside his and we switched back and forth during flight, did a lot of experiments with props too and in the end neither of us could tell a diff. The new motors are indeed quieter but that's all we could tell.

Of course this is all anecdotal and count for little except maybe subjective impressions. Batteries and flying conditions vary a lot, so it's almost impossible to point exact differences in time or actual performance of the aircrafts.

Went to Best Buy today to see about getting a price match for the P3P I purchased on 10/31/15. I've read a few threads about the old vs. the new, and vice versa. They said I needed to bring in all of the items from the original purchase (yeah, instead of just the receipt), and they would do a return and a re-ring. Well, after it was returned, I figured I'd just check on the "new" version. Heck, even the box looks better lol. So, for the original price + $50, I have the P3P, prop guards, and a total of THREE batteries! Now I'm even more happy than I already was. Sorry if this post wasn't relevant, but hey...$250 saved is kind of a big deal. ;-)

It's been proven many times but I'll repeat it again. New motor are vastly superior to old motors. It's a LOT more quiet and more efficient giving you extra flying time (about 2-3 minutes extra). If you're buying new p3 make sure you get the new and improved motors.
This is how unsubstantiated internet rumors are started. Nothing stated above has been proven, and words like "vastly superior" are utterly false. You are doing a disservice to the people looking at buying a Phantom by stating opinions as if they are facts. I know you're trying to be helpful to the original poster, but people will find this thread, read your post, and later when someone asks them, will "swear" the new motors are better cause they "read it here in this forum". This is about the fifth thread discussing this.

Reactions: msinger
This is how unsubstantiated internet rumors are started. Nothing stated above has been proven, and words like "vastly superior" are utterly false. You are doing a disservice to the people looking at buying a Phantom by stating opinions as if they are facts. I know you're trying to be helpful to the original poster, but people will find this thread, read your post, and later when someone asks them, will "swear" the new motors are better cause they "read it here in this forum". This is about the fifth thread discussing this.
We always believe that DJI is continuously working to improve the quality of their products and if a new version is introduced, it's better than the previous one from customers perspective.

Just reading through tons and tons of thread.

I forgot to mention that having new motors reduce your chance of getting stress crack to about 0.1%.

TC you continue to throw out this conjecture. In another thread you suggested there were no pictures of units with new motors with cracks, so I posted pictures of 2 units with new motors, new shells, and cracks. Why do you insist that the issue has been solved, when it has not? Unless I am extremely unlucky, there is still a problem here.

We always believe that DJI is continuously working to improve the quality of their products...

Indeed they are, that's the idea anyway.

..and if a new version is introduced, it's better than the previous one from customers perspective.

Not necessarily. Because a company's perspective is usually much broader and more complex than just the customer's perspective. In DJI's case I'd say by a huge margin. But I'll give that this is the idea that any company would like to pass on to the market.

Either way, the advancements and upgrades may be marginal in some instances. Those margins can (and do) get amplified by the desire of consumers that "new is necessarily much better than old" so ppl drop the "old" and rush to buy the "new", when both are in fact pretty close performance-wise.

Happens a lot.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj