Old Fart Fliers.

I flew in the back seat of a Phantom back in the 70's and 80's. The RF-4C was stuffed with cameras and sensors. When we went on a missions, if the INS navigation system was within 7 miles, they didn't bother to calibrate it. My how things have changed.

Awesome.

With a top speed of Mach 2.2 (about 0.5 miles per second at sea level), 7 miles is about 15 seconds!

Way cool on the retrain.

I wouldn't have cause the P2V+ Tx can be changed to Mode 1.
Actually, I did change it for a couple of days in the beginning, decided there was no advantage, since just letting the sticks go just makes it slide to a halt and hover - while I think about what stick i am supposed to move. That is the beauty of these things -It's not at all like flying a plane or chopper, where you need to be at least 2 mistakes high. I went back to mode 2 because I have other people to fly with, and it is much easier to be able to grab a tx off them if they get into trouble [ we are talking rc planes & helis here], and almost everything is mode 2 now. A couple of months later, and my instincts are correct now. I used to have a problem with pulling up elevator on the LH stick, and have the bird descend - exactly the opposite of what was intended.

I flew in the back seat of a Phantom back in the 70's and 80's. The RF-4C was stuffed with cameras and sensors. When we went on a missions, if the INS navigation system was within 7 miles, they didn't bother to calibrate it. My how things have changed.
It sure has - I fly xplane as a training aid- Or I did, I think I will toss in my pilot's ticket and sell my plane - I really only did it for aerial photography, but these things are way better, not to mention lots cheaper. I might even sell all my Nikon gear!

I envy you that experience, apart from someone trying to shoot you down.Most things I have flown are lucky to cruise at 115kt. I would love to fly a jet. I have an American friend here who flew in the front seat. Pretty challenging I imagine.

67 here, but spent 20 years in Helicopters in the Army, we had an Ultralight at the Airfield (EDIX) in Germany and we all used it as a off-duty hobby. Never actually flew RC until my wife bought me a 6ch RC copter for Xmas, then I got a P2 and loved it. The P3 is even better and more fun to fly. I still ride my F6B M/C all over the country and hike in the mountains. Sitting on the couch or playing video games will kill you.

Reactions: Jeff48920
67 in September. 1st phantom was given to me as a Father's Day present last year (p2 vision) sold it in February and bought a P2V+ and just took delivery on my P3P today. Love this hobby.

67 here, but spent 20 years in Helicopters in the Army, we had an Ultralight at the Airfield (EDIX) in Germany and we all used it as a off-duty hobby. Never actually flew RC until my wife bought me a 6ch RC copter for Xmas, then I got a P2 and loved it. The P3 is even better and more fun to fly. I still ride my F6B M/C all over the country and hike in the mountains. Sitting on the couch or playing video games will kill you.
I fly high performance microlights. Just getting too expensive. When I started flying, I went for a trial in an R22, and could hover it ok. The instructor asked me " How come?" Actually, I was flying .60 sized helis without gyro at that stage. The R22, was just a bit slower reacting, but quite similar

A nice neat 50.
Been flying toy versions of these things for quite some time.
I thought I'd be the oldest person at the certification course, but was quite pleasantly surprised. There was only one person I felt was particularly "young" and even he was a teacher at a school that uses Parrot Drones in their computer sciences course for teaching programming - they program them to do specific manoeuvres etc - and was clearly older than he looked.

agree

74 here. Not a camera or video guy. After 20 years flying FAI and IMAC and RC racing...F1 back in the day, RC sailing, now scale hydroplanes (see avatar). Just fascinated with the technology of a P3. Got one just to check it out.

I'm 50. My son graduated college, has a job and will be moving out in June to be with his new wife as he gets married on June 21st. My daughter graduates this fall. So yeah, two kids in college the last 7 years so daddy has to buy a new toy!! :p

Reactions: Jstic
Hey. I'm 78 and have a couple of P2V+s and now a P3P but, for when the apocalypse comes, I've kept my Jim Walker U-Reely control line so I can control the skies again.

52 this year. Just sold my DJI550 and now have the P3P. Love it and working on getting better at flying. A few extra batteries would be nice
Started in the hobby as a kid with the control line stuff, then Kraft radio RC planes, boats & cars. Enjoyed all this with my father. Got into RC lipo helis a few years ago and last year the multis . All good fun when I was a kid and now I feel just like a big kid again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers