OK ... trying to get to real answer about 50/30 limits and FW

Reaction score
I am being told on another forum that latest FW along with latest GO (Phantom 3 Pro) means you MUST have latest RC version 1.9.2 installed.
Their reasoning is that they claim you can suffer strange warnings and limits happening while flying - that the 50 / 30m limits may action during flight if the RC is installed with earlier Controller FW.

I'm not so convinced as DJI tech remarked to me when I took my P3P for repair that 1.6 Controller FW was better and worked fine.

So lets say a system is :

AC FW 1.11.20
RC FW 1.6.X
Go : 3.1.43

is that so bad ?

Before the deluge of ******* ... my P3P is on

AC FW 1.11.20
RC FW 1.9.2

And I have had some weird warnings of 50 / 30m during a couple of flights recently. This has happened with my old and new controller. I am tending to think it may have something to do with the Micro USB ports used on Android - which do have a tendency to become 'sloppy' .... Why do I think this ? having tested the lack of GO during flight and its limiting to 50 / 30m ... I wonder if DJI have extended this to action if GO stops working mid flight ? Previously it only actioned if you powered up without GO.

Anyone have real info on this ? So far no-one has been able to state clearly and confirmed ... just conjecture.

Nigel

RC firmware 1.5.30+
Go app 3.1.13
AC firmware 1.5.30

This is on P3A. Been flying with this setup for over a year. No issues, no warnings, great distance with windsurfer, almost 2 miles. Won't update anything. Ipad kept in airplane mode always!

RC firmware 1.5.30+
Go app 3.1.13
AC firmware 1.5.30

This is on P3A. Been flying with this setup for over a year. No issues, no warnings, great distance with windsurfer, almost 2 miles. Won't update anything. Ipad kept in airplane mode always!

That's good ...

But it doesn't really relate to my question of mixing RC and AC FW with latest GO ... for example :

AC FW 1.11.20
RC FW 1.6.X

Which he claims will lead to possible errors in range / height limits - basically action the 50 / 30 limitations ..

Nigel

No-one ?

OK

I am being told on another forum that latest FW along with latest GO (Phantom 3 Pro) means you MUST have latest RC version 1.9.2 installed.
Their reasoning is that they claim you can suffer strange warnings and limits happening while flying - that the 50 / 30m limits may action during flight if the RC is installed with earlier Controller FW.

I'm not so convinced as DJI tech remarked to me when I took my P3P for repair that 1.6 Controller FW was better and worked fine.

So lets say a system is :

AC FW 1.11.20
RC FW 1.6.X

is that so bad ?

Before the deluge of ******* ... my P3P is on

AC FW 1.11.20
RC FW 1.9.2

And I have had some weird warnings of 50 / 30m during a couple of flights recently. This has happened with my old and new controller. I am tending to think it may have something to do with the Micro USB ports used on Android - which do have a tendency to become 'sloppy' .... Why do I think this ? having tested the lack of GO during flight and its limiting to 50 / 30m ... I wonder if DJI have extended this to action if GO stops working mid flight ? Previously it only actioned if you powered up without GO.

Anyone have real info on this ? So far no-one has been able to state clearly and confirmed ... just conjecture.

Nigel
Nigel:

My P3P is a refurbished unit shipped with 1.9.60 on the AC and 1.8.0 on the RC. Currently I'm ignoring the updates and no issues with height or distance.

If I recall, those restrictions are only intended to apply if you are not signed in on the app, however, I can see similar restrictions could be imposed when flying without it.

I don't know if that helps you or not.

Nigel:

My P3P is a refurbished unit shipped with 1.9.60 on the AC and 1.8.0 on the RC. Currently I'm ignoring the updates and no issues with height or distance.

If I recall, those restrictions are only intended to apply if you are not signed in on the app, however, I can see similar restrictions could be imposed when flying without it.

I don't know if that helps you or not.

Tks .... its strange that no-one seems to want to answer ... you are first to say anything !

The guy was adamant that using latest Go 3.1.4x onwards with older FW especially on RC would cause random warnings. But as I said - I had warnings with all latest installed ... but only a few times. This made me skeptical of his claim.

I know about the limitations if app is not running - I tested that and in fact it led to my crashing down through a tree as I could not control it enough to clear .. cost me over 300 Euros !

Are you using latest Go before 4 or an earlier version ?

Nigel

The guy was adamant that using latest Go 3.1.4x onwards with older FW especially on RC would cause random warnings.
He might be correct ... or he might not.
Unfortunately because someone at DJI is the source that doesn't always mean the information is accurate.
The interaction of different firmware is complicated and tricky for anyone to have a good understanding of.

Reactions: DKG13CC
The guy was adamant that using latest Go 3.1.4x onwards with older FW especially on RC would cause random warnings. But as I said - I had warnings with all latest installed ... but only a few times. This made me skeptical of his claim.
I do recall that we had a few people comment when the 30/50 thing was new that if they updated only the app but not the FW they would get the warnings. They would just ignore the warnings and saw no real flight restrictions, flying beyond the 30/50 without issue.

Here is one thread I found rather quickly since I recalled having made a post in it.

Of course that doesn't explain why you'd see random warnings with more current FW installed, but it could perhaps help you with your skepticism.

Tks .... its strange that no-one seems to want to answer ... you are first to say anything !

I know about the limitations if app is not running - I tested that and in fact it led to my crashing down through a tree as I could not control it enough to clear .. cost me over 300 Euros !

Are you using latest Go before 4 or an earlier version ?

Nigel
I disabled automatic updates and as such I am still on 3.1.28 (before P4). My P3S firmware is up to date, however, my P3P is not. Both AC are running just fine.

He might be correct ... or he might not.
Unfortunately because someone at DJI is the source that doesn't always mean the information is accurate.
The interaction of different firmware is complicated and tricky for anyone to have a good understanding of.

Yes - I know ... being a DJI person does not automatically mean they are telling real story !! The guy who claims this is not DJI actually. But DJI tech that I know and found reasonably good - said RC FW was good with 1.6 version ... so what to believe ?

I'm hoping that someone may shed some better light on it.

Nigel

I do recall that we had a few people comment when the 30/50 thing was new that if they updated only the app but not the FW they would get the warnings. They would just ignore the warnings and saw no real flight restrictions, flying beyond the 30/50 without issue.

Here is one thread I found rather quickly since I recalled having made a post in it.

Of course that doesn't explain why you'd see random warnings with more current FW installed, but it could perhaps help you with your skepticism.

My few warnings came when I was losing or lost control at distance. The AC came back as normal by RTH and the 50/30 limits didn't actually happen ... it was just warned ! Strange !!

I have to say that few weeks back - I did have tree incident again and P3P fell through branches onto its back ... I shut it down and checked her over thoroughly ... no damage or problems found ... but I had strange odd warnings before that such as a couple of times - APP told me I was not fully activated with DJI .. but that was not seen again ...
I admit that I am a touch nervous about this.

Nigel

Hi Nigel, I don't know if my little update issues have any relevance to what you are talking about.

P3/4k and batteries are flying fine with no warninngs.
However, the same (5) batteries when used in my P3Pro are flashing up warnings to update all F.W. on A/C, R/C & Batteries.
I was up in a Heilan' Glen last week and there was no way I was coming home to do the updates.
There were some unusual (to me anyway) warnings such as Disconnects, switching to Atti Mode, and Strong Interference. Nothing for miles to cause it. I was on a metal section bridge which probably didn't help matters. Twice I lost Visual and hit RTH which worked fine to get things oriented and back under control. Oddly I was getting 16 Sats, way more than what I get near Glasgow Airport which is only 6 miles away.

I used my last battery to give a lassie an over-watched shot at flying. Could I get the darn thing to even fire up?? Could I twaddle!! Battery in & out, iPad off & on, Go APP off & on. This has never happened before. But I must have incurred a secret sweary word because it fired up and flew sweet as any time before.

I was going to post this as a query anyway. About the actual current FW versions and see if there were any obvious issues. As it is nearly 04:00 am I'll dig out the info tomorrow if that is going to be any help with your OP

I have some nice shots of the long weekend up in Glen Orchy. I'll post the movie link once I have edited things together. It is about time I posted something worth watching. :)

Kicking myself, there was a bit of a growl in the Glen ... what would you expect from around 20 minted Aston Martins of all vintages grumbling along on the Skyfall Rally Tour. :cool: Of course the Phantoms were docked up for lunchtime. What a flypast that would have made. Maybe I could PhotoShop them back in. ;)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic