To upgrade or not..that is the question!

Reaction score
I sent in my P3P for DJI repair in early July 2017 and before I sent it in I updated it to the latest FW - V.1.11.20. After they made the repair they ended up sending me back what they claim was a new drone but thanks to Airdata UAV, I was able to determine the aircraft was purchased in Feb 2016 and last flown in June 2016! Yet DJI claims the Serial Number has never been activated…Anyway I checked to see what FW is currently being on the aircraft and it has V. 1.9.60+ and the Remote Controller has V. 1.9.2. The Go App on my iPhone is updated to V. 3.1.13

The Go App is telling me I need to update the FW and the RC but I have been hearing a lot of people having issues with the latest Aircraft FW but this is the same FW that if you don't update to it, DJI can control how high and how far you can fly.

The reason I sent my last P3P in for repair was because of a Video Downlink issue where it said No image Transmission over the course of 3 flown batteries. It was doing it on FW V. 1.10.90 as well.

I don't really know what to do because I don't want to be limited in how high or how far I can fly (in terms of the latest update requiring you to sign in to the Go App that is) but I don't want to deal with the headaches many people who have FW 1.11.20 have been experiencing.

I think for now I am going to keep it at V. 1.9.60+ until I hear otherwise.

Your thoughts?

From what I can tell there are no benefits to be on the latest for this model. I am staying on this side of the firmware fence and use Litchi (No upgrade demands) and DJI go 2.9.1.(Firewalled)

Yip im on 3.1.4 1.8.0 and works well ,no changes needed works good :)if it works dont fix it,,,

Positively, I'm on the latest versions of both the iOS app and FW. My 3A flies perfectly without a single new glitch, but still experience those which I've always encountered on the previous versions of both the APP and FW......

Those of you that stated you are staying with the FW you have been using, are you being restricted in any way of how high or far you can fly? If not, what was all that hoopla about a few months ago that if you didn't upgrade to the latest FW version by July 1st requiring you to sign into the Go App, they would limit how high and far you could fly.

I use Litchi primarily which has no bothersome upgrade demands. I also have DJI go 2.9.1 installed which also has no demands. I designate my own no fly zones with common sense and don't need others to tell me I cant fly. Using a current DJI go revision will lock you out of unlimited boundries until you upgrade. The Phantom flies as intended when it shipped and there is no reason to "upgrade".

I just recently updated everthing firmware app and rc..flew the bird this morning all good so far.

Those of you that stated you are staying with the FW you have been using, are you being restricted in any way of how high or far you can fly? If not, what was all that hoopla about a few months ago that if you didn't upgrade to the latest FW version by July 1st requiring you to sign into the Go App, they would limit how high and far you could fly.

No we're not.
You've got it a bit wrong there.
It was if you upgraded and didn't sign in each time you flew you would be limited.
By signing in DJI would determine your position and decide if you could fly there or not.
This way there is no sign in requirement and no limitation.

Overview 1. All-in-One firmware Version: v1.9.20 2. DJI GO app iOS Version: v3.1.11 3. DJI GO app Android Version: v3.1.5
What’s New 1. Updated No-Fly Zone Management. 2. For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m when not connected or logged into the app during flight, including DJI GO and all apps compatible with DJI aircraft.
Notes  Please note that firmware update may reset various Main Controller Settings, such as the RTH Altitude and Maximum Flight Distance, to factory defaults. Before the update, take note of your preferred DJI GO settings, and readjust them after the update to suit your preference.  DO NOT turn off the remote controller or exit the DJI GO app during the update process.

Oh dear - what issues do you have?
The height and distance limitations even with beginner mode off. However, I have not tried to shut down and restart the app after changing batteries. Will see if that works as others have described.

No we're not.
You've got it a bit wrong there.
It was if you upgraded and didn't sign in each time you flew you would be limited.
By signing in DJI would determine your position and decide if you could fly there or not.
This way there is no sign in requirement and no limitation.

Why didn't DJI tell me that when I contacted them about this? That makes sense now.

I hadn't flown my P3A in a few months. So I had the FW and RC update masseges and did both, I use Litchi most of the time. Up to about 200 feet and 500-600 foot distance, most everything was good. But I have C1 set to point camera straight forward and straight down. It had a huge lag after pressing C1. As I got further out I noticed about a 4-5 second lag in the video and the photo and video buttons were very intermitting. I use a Samsung Tab E. I never experienced any of this before the update. I notified Litchi and they stated my Tab E was no longer powerful or fast enough because of the amount of data in the new update. So I need to go by a new Tab now? They say my Galaxy 7 will work, but I haven't tried it yet. Cant really see that screen and the super small font. Anyone else experience anything similar? I'll post Litchi"s responce below.

Hello,

This tablet is not powerful enough to run the latest version of Litchi, because the DJI development kit’s performance requirements have greatly increased in their latest update.
For Android, our recommended devices are: Nvidia Shield K1, Google Pixel/Pixel XL, Samsung Galaxy S7/S7Edge/S8/S8+/Note 5, Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4inch.
For iOS, our recommended devices are: iPad mini 4, iPad 2017, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 7, iPhone 7+.

Kind Regards,
Litchi
Online help at Help - Litchi
AUG 18, 2017 | 01:51PM UTC
J replied:
Drone model DJI Phantom 3 Advanced
Device Samsumg-SM-T377V Kernel Version 3.10.9 Galaxy Tab E
Litchi v4.1.1
DJI Firmware v1.11.20

Please note it never did this before. But it was after the update of DJI v1.11.20

Thanks
Jack Currier
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 3:15 AM
Subject: Re:
AUG 18, 2017 | 09:14AM UTC
Litchi replied:
Hello,

Please let us know the following details so we can help you:
- drone model
- mobile device model
- the Android or iOS version you are using on your mobile device
- the Litchi version (see settings) you are using
- the DJI firmware version you are using

Kind Regards,
Litchi
Online help at Help - Litchi
AUG 17, 2017 | 04:42PM UTC
Original message
J wrote:

Hi. Just started in last 2 or 3 flights. But after I'm out about 500-600 ft I get a significant delay in the video feed. 3-4 seconds. The DJI P3A is responding correctly but not the video. The position indicator on the maps and the radar icon respond correctly also. Just the main video feed on my Tablet. Never did that until recently. Any ideas?
Thanks
Jack Currier

The Go App is telling me I need to update the FW and the RC but I have been hearing a lot of people having issues ...
Your thoughts?
Sorry for chiming-in so late, but I'd say if all works okay for you, NEVER update if you have the features that make you happy. I've been happy ever since POI and 2K capability was installed (oh, and a cold weather battery update -- something about correcting a sudden cutoff situation), way back many many months ago.

Long ago I noticed that the Chinese (in my opinion) do not have the word, "recommended" in their vocabulary. They seem not to grasp the concept of choice. When the App says Update "Required", that actually means RECOMMENDED (in my own particular P3A experience anyway).

Reactions: Phill2

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl