Oiling motors

No. There is virtually no maintenance required to a Phantom other than inspections of props and fuselage. Oiling will retain dirt/dust which will be problematic.

You have just asked one of those questions which returns quite often wives tales .... dust retention etc. is one of them !!

Brushless motors are usually maintenance free as they rarely fail before the model does. Unlike older Brushed motors that often need brushes or replacement.

BUT Brushless motors are working in a lot of environments that were previously unheard of for Brushed motors - due to their power outputs etc.

The Phantom motors are mounted making it difficult to lubricate if you want to ... because the motor wires are short to the ESC. They were never mounted with a view to maintenance.
This does not mean they are to be forgotten though IF deemed time to sort.
There is a mis-conception going round that DJI motors are sealed ... that is wrong. They are SHIELDED motors. This means that the motors are constructed to restrict dust / debris entering the bearings but does not mean they are sealed for life. There is also mis-conception that they are lubricated for life and that oiling will somehow destroy this. I can only say that those who keep posting these mi-conceptions have most likely never had a DJI motor out or dismantled.

OK ...

Is it necessary to oil ? usually no.

Can they be oiled ? Yes

Is this detrimental to the motor ? Absolutely not detrimental.

What oil to use ? The best oil to use is Sewing Machine Oil or as we call it in the trade ... Light Cycle Oil (LCO). If you do not have that then a reasonable substitute is 3in1 Bicycle oil.

When to lubricate ? If you have noted a change in sound of the motor due to dry bearing or after dust etc.

Once you lubricate is it necessary to repeat often ? No. Only if condition repeats that prompted initial lubricating.

Now on to how .....

You need to have the correct driver to undo the four motor screws. A marker board pen that can be wiped off after. A couple of cocktail sticks or very small thin screwdriver. Bottle of LCO or 3in1. Tissues. Bottle of Blue grade Plastic safe Thread lock.

Mark arm you are going to work.
Unscrew motor screws and allow motor to move.
Have model upside down so motor wants to drop out ... it won't as the wires are short.
Angle the motor so you can apply a small drop of oil with the toothpick point at base of the shaft ...
While still inverted - spin the motor by hand ... apply another small drop ... spin again ... this lets the oil being thin wick in.
Dab excess away with tissue.
Motor back in place and resecure using tiny amount of threadlock on motor screws.

Move to next one. Note the mark you made on arm for first one reminds you where you started !!

All done. Power up and a quick powered spin up of the motors - just starting them is enough ... stop and put her away till you fly.

What you will note in the 'How to' ... is that you only oil from the rear UNDERSIDE of the motor. You cannot do much about the front bearing. The rear bearing is face down into the bottom of the arm and is also enclosed by the plastic around it.

I have over 60 Brushless motors in models incl. DJI and when I think needed - I lubricate any of them. I have had some squealing in use after dusty summer etc. - the above sorts and quiet again. I have motors I have oiled for many years continue to provide excellent service long after first oiling. The only DJI motor I have that does not work - was one that was submerged in the dirty river water. All others have had an odd oiling now and again .... they fly absolutely sweet as new ...

Nigal says : I have had some squealing in use after dusty summer !

"Once that teeny tiny itty bitty small bearing has sent out a LOUD SQUEAL" !

That Only means that that ball bearing has encountered metal to metal...and after that its on its way to destruction as its Once smooth surface is Not smooth No more !..and in the future is a candidate for sudden failure !

As a tear falls out of both eyes and your drone falls to the ground from 399 feet UP.

If a wheel bearing on your car starts to squeal Would You oil it and go about your way (NO) period !

You have just asked one of those questions which returns quite often wives tales .... dust retention etc. is one of them !!

Brushless motors are usually maintenance free as they rarely fail before the model does. Unlike older Brushed motors that often need brushes or replacement.

BUT Brushless motors are working in a lot of environments that were previously unheard of for Brushed motors - due to their power outputs etc.

The Phantom motors are mounted making it difficult to lubricate if you want to ... because the motor wires are short to the ESC. They were never mounted with a view to maintenance.
This does not mean they are to be forgotten though IF deemed time to sort.
There is a mis-conception going round that DJI motors are sealed ... that is wrong. They are SHIELDED motors. This means that the motors are constructed to restrict dust / debris entering the bearings but does not mean they are sealed for life. There is also mis-conception that they are lubricated for life and that oiling will somehow destroy this. I can only say that those who keep posting these mi-conceptions have most likely never had a DJI motor out or dismantled.

OK ...

Is it necessary to oil ? usually no.

Can they be oiled ? Yes

Is this detrimental to the motor ? Absolutely not detrimental.

What oil to use ? The best oil to use is Sewing Machine Oil or as we call it in the trade ... Light Cycle Oil (LCO). If you do not have that then a reasonable substitute is 3in1 Bicycle oil.

When to lubricate ? If you have noted a change in sound of the motor due to dry bearing or after dust etc.

Once you lubricate is it necessary to repeat often ? No. Only if condition repeats that prompted initial lubricating.

Now on to how .....

You need to have the correct driver to undo the four motor screws. A marker board pen that can be wiped off after. A couple of cocktail sticks or very small thin screwdriver. Bottle of LCO or 3in1. Tissues. Bottle of Blue grade Plastic safe Thread lock.

Mark arm you are going to work.
Unscrew motor screws and allow motor to move.
Have model upside down so motor wants to drop out ... it won't as the wires are short.
Angle the motor so you can apply a small drop of oil with the toothpick point at base of the shaft ...
While still inverted - spin the motor by hand ... apply another small drop ... spin again ... this lets the oil being thin wick in.
Dab excess away with tissue.
Motor back in place and resecure using tiny amount of threadlock on motor screws.

Move to next one. Note the mark you made on arm for first one reminds you where you started !!

All done. Power up and a quick powered spin up of the motors - just starting them is enough ... stop and put her away till you fly.

What you will note in the 'How to' ... is that you only oil from the rear UNDERSIDE of the motor. You cannot do much about the front bearing. The rear bearing is face down into the bottom of the arm and is also enclosed by the plastic around it.

I have over 60 Brushless motors in models incl. DJI and when I think needed - I lubricate any of them. I have had some squealing in use after dusty summer etc. - the above sorts and quiet again. I have motors I have oiled for many years continue to provide excellent service long after first oiling. The only DJI motor I have that does not work - was one that was submerged in the dirty river water. All others have had an odd oiling now and again .... they fly absolutely sweet as new ...

Could you not use Graphite on the top motor housing as its a dry lubrication ?

To each his own, but I have not had any squeals or added oil to my 2014 P2.
I expect the motors to be the only working parts at the end of its 'days'.

I rest my case m'lud .......

Nigal says : I have had some squealing in use after dusty summer !

"Once that teeny tiny itty bitty small bearing has sent out a LOUD SQUEAL" !

That Only means that that ball bearing has encountered metal to metal...and after that its on its way to destruction as its Once smooth surface is Not smooth No more !..and in the future is a candidate for sudden failure !

As a tear falls out of both eyes and your drone falls to the ground from 399 feet UP.

If a wheel bearing on your car starts to squeal Would You oil it and go about your way (NO) period !

There is a big difference between a squeal from dusty summer ... to the screech of metal on metal ....

Why you need to exaggerate what I said - especially as I said DUSTY SUMMER ... and I like the way the drone fliers paranoia is called up ... 'falls to ground ....'

I shall say this ... in all the years of RC'g - a touch of lub now and again has been sweet music to with my motors ...
If a motor is genuinely worn bearings - then that will soon be evident oil or no oil.

As I already said ... case rested m'lud.

Hi can they not be lubricated with a bit of WD40 or would that not be suitable! does it have to be sawing machine oil ? Cheers

Hi can they not be lubricated with a bit of WD40 or would that not be suitable! does it have to be sawing machine oil ? Cheers

Please never use WD40 on any model gear ... in fact I can tell you that when I raced cars in my early 20's .. I had an arrangement with local auto service that I would do the electrics repairs in return for use of their lifts etc. So many cars had ignition trouble in those days from people who thought spraying WD40 liberally over distributors and points etc. was good idea .... it is awful stuff.
Great for stopping squeaky doors or displacing water ... but as soon as its done its job ... then clean and lubricate whatever you used it on !

If you cannot get Sewing Machine Oil ..... you can get it as branded Singer or whatever ... then just get a small bottle of 3in1 general purpose light oil ... its thicker of course but does the job.

The reason to use SWO - is for same reason its produced for sewing machines ... its very thin, non marking and does not create sticky surface ....

No!! DJI Phantom 4 and Phantom 3 Quad motors DO NOT require oil and if you believe they do, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell you.

I would highly recommend that you go to the DJI Forum (https://forum.dji.com) where they will tell you NOT to apply oil to DJI Phantom 4 or Phantom 3 motors.

DJI has also been asked this question numerous times and they too DO NOT recommend the practice of oiling the motors on the Phantom 4 or the Phantom 3 quads.

DJI Quad motors require NO OIL WHATSOEVER but please, don't take my word for it. Simply ask DJI themselves if oiling the motors will affect your warranty.

Bud

Do the motors have to be oiled on Phantom 3 Standard and how if needed

Last edited:
Reactions: N017RW
No!! DJI Phantom 4 and Phantom 3 Quad motors DO NOT require oil and if you believe they do, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell you.

I would highly recommend that you go to the DJI Forum (https://forum.dji.com) where they will tell you NOT to apply oil to DJI Phantom 4 or Phantom 3 motors.

DJI has also been asked this question numerous times and they too DO NOT recommend the practice of oiling the motors on the Phantom 4 or the Phantom 3 quads.

DJI Quad motors require NO OIL WHATSOEVER but please, don't take my word for it. Simply ask DJI themselves if oiling the motors will affect your warranty.

Bud

Twaddle ...bunkum ....

No-one is suggesting oiling NEW motors or ones that are in prime. But because they are SHIELDED motors and NOT sealed ... it is perfectly acceptable to lubricate as they age ... BUT USE THE RIGHT OIL ... not just any old oil. I would not suggest it during warranty - because for simple reason -if a motor does indicate it needs it when in warranty - then don't - you immediately make claim.
Outside of warranty is a totally different matter.

I can actually say that my P3P was repaired under warranty for faulty board well outside its warranty period ...even though that P3P had its motors 'oiled' by me prior to its failure.

Brushless motors will NEVER have same problems as brushed motors due to oiling ... because there are no brushes or contact electrical items.

Quoting DJI Forum is to be honest 'laughable' ..... why ? DJI Techs cannot agree on anything let alone this. I have a whole run of emails from DJI techs that tell completely different stories about batterys ... let alone the motors.
DJI Forum is like this and any other forum -has its self proclaimed experts.

Because I work in the Petrochemical world ..... I am well aware of what oils are suitable and what are not.

Last edited:
First of all, I want you to know I meant no disrespect in my first post:), and since I don't want this to turn into a pissin' contest, this'll be my last post on the matter.

I totally agree that quoting DJI Forum is "laughable"........... Just remember, you are on that very forum promoting the oiling of DJI Phantom motors when DJI themselves DO NOT recommend it.

Bud

Quoting DJI Forum is to be honest 'laughable' ..... why ? DJI Techs cannot agree on anything let alone this. I have a whole run of emails from DJI techs that tell completely different stories about batterys ... let alone the motors.
DJI Forum is like this and any other forum -has its self proclaimed experts.

Because I work in the Petrochemical world ..... I am well aware of what oils are suitable and what are not.[/QUOTE]

DJI will never recc'd anything that is 3rd party or detracts from their selling you parts when they service. The only comment I can find that even remotely suggests DJI stand on the matter - is it is not generally required. Which is far short of NEVER do it ... or as you tried to impress on others that warranty would be void.

Of course I am on DJI Forum - what difference does that make to the discussion ? All it does is re-inforce my comment about that and forums in general that they have their 'resident' self appointed experts. If you read through any thread there and here or anywhere else about this - you will not find any post by DJI saying never do it ... will not find any saying warranty will be voided. Not recommending is not a categoric specific instruction... it is purely an opinion.

My opinion and belief of lubricating brushless motors is based on many years of RC and in particular the many Brushless motors I have. Majority have never seen a drop of oil from me - but those that have are still long after enjoying use in their respective models.
I do not advocate use of oil to 'force' an old and tired motor to extend ... that is folly. But there are many reasons a drop of LCO / SWO can be beneficial - particularly if you are usually flying in a dusty /sandy region. The motors are shielded ... not sealed. That is the crux of the matter.

Bearings need oil periodically, EVERY bearing except truly SEALED bearings. None of DJIs motors are sealed.
I have a stable of DJI birds, P3P, P4P, multiple Inspire 1s and Inspire 2s, an S900, and 11 large hex and octocopters I have built myself to carry big SLRs starting in 2012. All the ones I built use T-Motors. When you pay $400 per motor, you learn to protect your investment.

T-motor uses the best bearings they can find, currently EZOs from Japan. They found their Chinese source was giving them counterfeits for a bit and now they fly an employee to Japan to pick them up at the factory, and load them as checked baggage and fly back with them.

T-Motor. recommends lubrication and states emphatically that the bearings should be REPLACED after 60 hours of flight. They sell the proper bearings for each motor on their website.

All my DJI and T-Motors get lubricated every 15 hours of flight. I use needlepoint oil applicators and lubricate both the top and bottom bearings. I use a non-residue synthetic lubricant, but Boca Bearings also has suitable high speed bearing lube available on their website.

Spin your motors frequently by hand (with and without the props) and look for any detectable difference between them, or a difference in sound. If you take the props off and fire up the bird, advance the throttle and put one ear above each motor listening for any difference in sound. Because the DJI flight controllers automatically adjust rpm with as much power as needed for the IMUs to be happy, you won't know that one motor needs more power to get the result until you have to hit the throttle hard and find one motor was already running at it's limit fighting a defective bearing. The other good motors speed up and the bird does some serious weird maneuvers when the imbalance occurs.
I'm out at the moment. When I get home I'll take a photo of the oiler I use. Solentlife is completely correct in saying put a single drop at the edge of the shield and turn the motor until it wicks in, then put another. The amount needed is dependent on the size of the bearing. Some of mine are a good inch in diameter and need as many as 5-8 drops. If you spin your motors with the props on and they slow down at different rates, they need help.
Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers