Official P3 Range Leaderboard

Well, the whole reason I got the boosters is for penetration in places that stock signal would not be sufficient. In open spaces and good los stock RC outlast the battery.
From the front of my house where I got my record of 21500' out I was using maxx panel unboosted signal strength 74. I will do the same path in a minute and let you know what it is there, but I'm pretty sure it will be around 100 boosted but the video signal and quality is worse than unboosted.
I had a similar problem with mine. When I went boosted the first few times, I got good range. Then after a cupel of flights I was getting real bad range.
And I tried switching cables,and antennas, all with no help. I even had Max warranty my sunhans. Somewhere between the new sunhans and the Max rang antenna I got good range aging. I also changed the cables in the transmitter. But I think the problem was some kind of interference. In my area. Because some days I have good reception and some days it is bad. And the video was always the first to go. I just cant fly with out video. So I boosted the bird side video, with a 3 watt sunhan. That made a difference.Video was good all the time.

The boss came in so I have to get back to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee SK and Zuzua
@mawell: I have replaced the inner cables, outer cables, swapped the amps in case one is bad. From my tests you can see the progression from stock to maxx panel to maxx panel boosted in a situation where There is no los, which is the main purpose of getting the amps. Granted, There is range increase in each step but video quality and signal when boosted is worse than unboosted, which has me baffled.
Example. My personal distance record from home point with good los is 21500' with maxx panel unboosted at 220' height with solid radio and video signal all the way there and back. Signal strength as per HD sensors result was 74.
Just now I tried the exact same route good los and at 14700' and 220' height it started dropping video but radio was still good. The signal strength as per HD sensors was 100
I have the solid blue lights on the amps and have triple checked all cables and pins. Have swapped all internal and external cables. RC is aimed well at p3, using auto channel.
At this point without trying a different set of amps I really don't know what else it could be.
Basically it all goes like this:
In los situations stock RC outlast the batteries no problem.
So the reason for me to do a mod is for places that there is no good los and signal penetration is the remedy.
In los situations I would do a battery mod before RC mod!! Unless I set out to beat db's one way record then I would need the boosted panel also. Maybe it is just me that has too much expectation from boosted panel in situation where There is no los!! But then I look at my example above and go back to thinking that there is something wrong in the chain!!

@mawell: I have replaced the inner cables, outer cables, swapped the amps in case one is bad. From my tests you can see the progression from stock to maxx panel to maxx panel boosted in a situation where There is no los, which is the main purpose of getting the amps. Granted, There is range increase in each step but video quality and signal when boosted is worse than unboosted, which has me baffled.
Example. My personal distance record from home point with good los is 21500' with maxx panel unboosted at 220' height with solid radio and video signal all the way there and back. Signal strength as per HD sensors result was 74.
Just now I tried the exact same route good los and at 14700' and 220' height it started dropping video but radio was still good. The signal strength as per HD sensors was 100
I have the solid blue lights on the amps and have triple checked all cables and pins. Have swapped all internal and external cables. RC is aimed well at p3, using auto channel.
At this point without trying a different set of amps I really don't know what else it could be.
Basically it all goes like this:
In los situations stock RC outlast the batteries no problem.
So the reason for me to do a mod is for places that there is no good los and signal penetration is the remedy.
In los situations I would do a battery mod before RC mod!! Unless I set out to beat db's one way record then I would need the boosted panel also. Maybe it is just me that has too much expectation from boosted panel in situation where There is no los!! But then I look at my example above and go back to thinking that there is something wrong in the chain!!
Well Zuzua you will never get penetration thru trees and houses. No mater what you are told it cant be dune. Trees are by far the worst, mostly water content. I think we all would like to punch thru, trees and hills, but 2.4 ghz just wont do it. I am running 2 X 14dbi panels, Max range all teed together.
That is like 48dbi and I can go a long way but around my house I am limited. Some days here at the house I can go 7000ft but most days I get 5000ft. Out in the country I can go as far as the batteries will let me.
I have a few trees here and a large antenna array,that is giving me a lot of interference. I have spent a bundle trying to get long distance from my house. I have come to the conclusion that it cant be dune.

That's what I thought I really didn't think it would be a drastic increase. But the fact that on same path that I get 21000 unboosted to get 14700 and drop video, it tells me something just ain't right

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's what I thought I really didn't think it would be a drastic increase. But the fact that on same path that I get 21000 unboosted to get 14700 and drop video, it tells me something just ain't right

Some times when you boost an antenna it will also increase the noise level it can see.

Well Zuzua you will never get penetration thru trees and houses. No mater what you are told it cant be dune. Trees are by far the worst, mostly water content. I think we all would like to punch thru, trees and hills, but 2.4 ghz just wont do it. I am running 2 X 14dbi panels, Max range all teed together.
That is like 48dbi and I can go a long way but around my house I am limited. Some days here at the house I can go 7000ft but most days I get 5000ft. Out in the country I can go as far as the batteries will let me.
I have a few trees here and a large antenna array,that is giving me a lot of interference. I have spent a bundle trying to get long distance from my house. I have come to the conclusion that it cant be dune.
Can we see a pic of this set up thax

Some times when you boost an antenna it will also increase the noise level it can see.

That's correct and that's why when I turn the amp on radio channel quality drops to"poor" in the aircraft status and all the channels up to 19 get a red marker, when I turn it off they all drop down from red and radio channel quality goes back to good!!!! But that happens to everyone's I'm told. Can you try and let me know if it does the same on yours too? Thx

That's correct and that's why when I turn the amp on radio channel quality drops to"poor" in the aircraft status and all the channels up to 19 get a red marker, when I turn it off they all drop down from red and radio channel quality goes back to good!!!! But that happens to everyone's I'm told. Can you try and let me know if it does the same on yours too? Thx

I lost that bird. I dont have the boosted transmitter bond to my new bird rite now.

I was having this same problem. But I could go to a different location and it was good. I wish I new why this happens. I just know it has happened to me with 3 different P3Ps

Well thats is some kind of set up thax for the video good to see what guys are doing.lost bird not good I am thinking about getting a flytrex or some kind of tracker!!
I did not have a tracker ,and I am severally thinking about one now. I was 20000ft out with a solid signal ,but I got carried away. And some times you only get one shot at coming home. I tried to go to far.

It is usual^^ Because your boosting signal is strong but too much close UAV and RC.

Hi! Ed209^^ Is this flighting with single multistar 5200 only? 39m 45' I am so envious of your flighting time.

Hey Lee. Yes, that was just single 5200. It was my first flight on that new battery. It was a crazy flight, at night and over water. Totally stupid now that I look back. My P3A gets some ridiculous flight times. It just goes to show that even with 40m flight time, you still need good conditions in order to set records. I think at the time, it was the only 9+ mile flight besides unknown caller. Check out the video. It's still fun to watch! Fighting a strong wind on the way out and hauling *** on the way back!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94