Offering rescue for drones stuck in trees and other high places.

Reaction score
Hello,

I am an arborist (tree surgeon) based in the Hampshire/Berkshire UK area. In the last few years I have had to rescue quite a few drones from the tops of trees whilst working in the UK and Europe and i always enjoy getting them safely back to their owner. So if anybody on here should need some help recovering their drone from a tree or other high places for a fair price please feel free to get in contact via my email address - [email protected] and I will be happy to give you a call and help.

If this post violates any forum rules or is in the wrong place could someone please inform me and I will do my best to correct it.

Thanks for reading.

Geoff

I like your post, this tree let go of my P3S before I could attempt to retrieve it.
Would you have attempted this climb / rescue?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Rod

Rod

Last edited:

Rod

Hi Rodpad

Thanks for the reply. The little grab you made from the wire is a great idea! From the videos that looks like a relatively straight forward rescue. I would always have to check the base of the tree to make sure it was safe enough to climb but from what I can see I am confident that I could retrieve that drone with no further damage. Did it fall out on its own in the end?

Geoff

Hi Rodpad

Thanks for the reply. The little grab you made from the wire is a great idea! From the videos that looks like a relatively straight forward rescue. I would always have to check the base of the tree to make sure it was safe enough to climb but from what I can see I am confident that I could retrieve that drone with no further damage. Did it fall out on its own in the end?

Geoff
When it was in the tree, until the battery was to low, I could stop and start the motors, and view through the camera. Stop and start the camera recordings.

Bought a P3A, that is where I got the footage, never got the chance to retrieve it. One of the ideas I had, the phantom carry's the grabber connected to fishing line. The line would not be tied to the phantom (Looped like a pulley). Once I got it grabbed then I was going to fly the phantom down to the ground routing the line for the best pulling angle. This way if I grabbed the tree instead of the Phantom, etc. I could try again with another grabber and more line.

The tree tossed it, it was now in five pieces. :rolleyes:

Rod

Last edited:
Reactions: Arbrescue
That's a great idea. I guess the only risk is flying the other drone so close to where the first one got stuck? Was it salvageable in the end?

It's still in five pieces.

Rod

Reactions: Arbrescue
Hi,

Just thought I'd share a few pics of two happy drone pilots and myself after reuniting them with their drones that had become stuck in trees! These were two recent rescues I have completed from the very top of a large willow tree and on the end of a branch in a tall lime tree all done safely with no further damage to the drone. If anybody should need any help retrieving a stuck drone please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to help. Thanks for reading!

Geoff

Attachments

• IMG_20190923_071854.jpg
    IMG_20190923_071854.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 363
  • IMG_20190923_071841.jpg
    IMG_20190923_071841.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 346
  • 20190826_070802811_iOS.jpg
    20190826_070802811_iOS.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 361
  • IMG_20190826_080634.jpg
    IMG_20190826_080634.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 281
Reactions: MTO
Hi,

Just thought I'd share a few pics of two happy drone pilots and myself after reuniting them with their drones that had become stuck in trees! These were two recent rescues I have completed from the very top of a large willow tree and on the end of a branch in a tall lime tree all done safely with no further damage to the drone. If anybody should need any help retrieving a stuck drone please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to help. Thanks for reading!

Geoff
How are you doing these rescues? Are you a professional tree climber? Do you have video of the rescue in progress? I would like to see any video I have considered learning to climb
but I'm in my sixties and think I'll stay on the ground, it's nice you're helping reunite drones
to their owners stay safe!

How are you doing these rescues? Are you a professional tree climber? Do you have video of the rescue in progress? I would like to see any video I have considered learning to climb
but I'm in my sixties and think I'll stay on the ground, it's nice you're helping reunite drones
to their owners stay safe!

Hi greggo122,

Please excuse the very late reply!

I am a professional arborist. I use a rope, harness and other climbing gear to access the tree and retrieve the drone where possible.
Unfortunately I don't have any video footage of drone rescues but I do have a YouTube channel with other treework and interesting projects that I have been a part of that can be found at Geoff Pugsley.
I enjoy helping to retrieve the drones, it's nice to be able to help. I would say you are never too old to learn how to climb, seek some professional training and go for it. It's a great world up in the trees!

Cheers
Geoff

Reactions: MTO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan