Obsidian vs White P4P - Bird Attacks/Heat Issues?

Reaction score
We just put an order in for a P4P Obsidian. The salesman got back to us saying they did not have any Obsidian in stock and that the "industry" is leaning away from using black because birds attack them and they run warmer in the summer. We like the Obsidian purely because it looks a little more professional than the white. We will mostly be using this UAS for creating DEMs and orthomosaics in Pix4D. This will be our entry UAS and I'm looking for a little advice.

Reactions: BradleyWayne
Can’t speak to the bird issue but white is a better choice for heat rejection.
As far as customer perception... just inform them that plastic color is no indication of your product deliverables.

Hmmm. The salesman wanted to steer you towards an item they did have in stock? ;) I would take anything he said with a huge grain of salt. There have been a few discussions on the forum here about possible heat issues with the obsidian version but nobody had any specific instances to report. That is the first I've heard about potential bird problems. I suspect your salesman doesn't really have his finger on the pulse of the "industry".

Reactions: Gher
My customers (not drone related) have never commented on my ‘tools’ only my work-product.
They call back so that’s all that matters.

Reactions: Gher and ravedog
We just put an order in for a P4P Obsidian. The salesman got back to us saying they did not have any Obsidian in stock and that the "industry" is leaning away from using black because birds attack them and they run warmer in the summer. We like the Obsidian purely because it looks a little more professional than the white. We will mostly be using this UAS for creating DEMs and orthomosaics in Pix4D. This will be our entry UAS and I'm looking for a little advice.
Birds have attacked white Phantoms for a range of reasons.
But bird attacks are rare and the Obsidian has only been out a couple of months.
I very much doubt that there is any comparative assessment of the difference having a black or white Phantom makes to birds.

Although black is going to absorb heat more than a white shell, we haven't heard of any cases where it was a problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic